General Fiction posted April 25, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Even a safe place is horrifying with the right story.

The Center of the Universe

by GeraldShuler


My sister was planning rare trip to visit me. She had never been to Tulsa so, of course, she wanted me to plan some interesting activities.

"Would you like to visit the center of the universe while you are here?" I asked.

"The... what?"

"It's a place that scientists have never been able to explain. It is just a small spot where your voice can be heard throughout the universe. While you are standing in the circle you can hear your own words being vibrated and returned to you."

"If that is a real place, I would love to see it." I could hear the excitement in her response so, being the big brother I am, I couldn't resist feeding her a story to go with the truth.

"Not many people are brave enough to stand in the circle. Some people have actually disappeared when they shouted, so don't shout. Just whisper."

"Disappeared? Why doesn't the whole world know about this place if people are disappearing?"

"Government cover up. You know how it is, like with the flying saucers. In fact, my theory is that the center of the universe is really how alien abductions happen. Anyway, it is on our to-do list while you are here."

When she arrived two days later, she was uncertain about going to the center of the universe. She didn't want either of her kids to disappear, but both of her boys insisted on seeing it. We went that same afternoon. As we stood outside of the circle it was obvious that none of them were brave enough to be the first one to stand inside it. I decided to add a little drama to my story-line so I stepped into the circle.

My voice whispered "Hello. Can you hear... wow! My voice is... oh, wow."

All eyes were on me so I decided to give the act all I had. I began to shake my arms and head. My sister had no idea how to react so I reached out for her hand, my hand still shaking.

They're taking me" I shouted. "Pull me out! Get me out!"

She grabbed my hand and pulled. In her mind, she had saved me from abduction. I put my arms around her and gave her a heroes hug.

"Now," I said to all of them. "Who is next?"

None of them stepped into the circle. Ever.



Supernatural writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Important ~ This is categorized as general/not listed because it is both fiction and non-fiction. However, the supernatural placemust be real and must include a visit you and your true- to-life biological sister(s) conceived by same father and mother experienced
word count--400-450
no vulgar words, profanity, sex, or satire


The Center of the Universe is a real place in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Scientists have no explaination for the strange vocal sounds when you stand in its small two foot circle. It isn't an echo but sounds very much like one when you speak. That much of this story is true. The abduction part is fiction... unless you want to believe that part, too.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by simonka at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GeraldShuler All rights reserved.
GeraldShuler has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.