General Poetry posted May 11, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
For my dad

Multiple Worlds

by DeboraDyess

Dad, you're my hero.
You gave me multiple worlds 
of reality ... faith ... dreams...



3 Line Poetry Contest contest entry


This isn't a great pic of me and Daddy. It was taken just a few weeks after my mom passed away, so his smile is a bit lacking. I was in high school so that tells you how REALLY OLD it is! No amount of photo restore helped very much, but that's us.
My dad made his way to Heaven on October 18, 1999. He was (and remains) my hero. He was a pretty amazing guy. I know most kids think that about their parents, and I'm obviously no exception. But you had to know my father...
He was dedicated to our mom and us kids...
He challenged each of us to read a book and then had us all act as 'agents' for our favorite actors/actresses, bargaining with each other as if we were casting that book as a movie...
He had us read editorials about science and discussed them at the dinner table as if it was normal family conversation...
He made sure I got to go to England with our choir, even though he'd never been over seas...
He loved Jesus and worked as a music minister...
He was also a postman (in his real life, I suppose)...
He wrote science fiction...
He wrote Gospel songs...
He challenged us each and every day to think outside the box...
He built an addition to our home, doubling its size...
He made the coolest miniature boats out of balsa wood...
He made tacky, 1970s family totem poles out of baby food jars and crackle paint (they were attrocious!)...
He learned woodworking so he could build a bookcase with all the froo-froo fancies of the most expensive bookcases...
He restored antique cars...
He raced a car for a while...
He was a math genius (and this apple landed FAR from that tree!)...
He was such a wonderful man. He did give me three worlds. The reality that we face daily, the world of God, Jesus and faith, and the world of imagination.
I hope he knows how much he means to me.
I miss him still.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. DeboraDyess All rights reserved.
DeboraDyess has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.