General Flash Fiction posted April 20, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The impact of memories (150 words)

Bunnies in the Garden

by LisaMay



The kitchen window overlooked the garden, in which Grampa had cultivated rows of tasty vegetables. With her hands in the sink, washing a breakfast cereal bowl, Granny gazed wistfully at the bunny playing happily, recalling the rabbits she loved to watch in her own yard when she was younger. These ones here were a reminder of how quickly childhood passed, when cute bunnies became invasive pests and were shot.

She turned to glance lovingly at Kimmi and Zac, busy eating their toast, then turned back to the sink. Lost in her reverie, the loud bang! made her jump. The rabbit dropped and exploded into flying bits. The grandchildren gasped at the sudden noise. They giggled when their grandfather came in, apologising for letting the door slam.

Meanwhile, Granny shed a tear as she bent to pick up the broken china pieces of Royal Doulton Bunnykins breakfast bowl she’d been washing.



 



Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized


Author note:
In case you don't get it, there weren't any rabbits except the picture on the china breakfast bowl, that broke when Granny dropped it.

Royal Doulton is an English ceramic and home accessories manufacturer that was founded in 1815. A popular pattern, around since the 1930's, is the Bunnykins range of colourful rabbit designs, featuring cute bunnies in various activities. Its popularity became international when it was used by the British royal family's young daughters, princesses Elizabeth and Margaret. I still have a bowl myself, from my own childhood. I hope no-one slams the door when I am washing my bowl.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.