Romance Fiction posted April 18, 2022 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cord asks Ali when she thinks she'll be ready to date again.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 9 B

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 13 days ago


ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Cordero's eyes widened. "By that question, I'm guessing you're planning on coming." He paused. "Dad, I figured you'd stay with the ladies. We'll be gone at least two nights. The doc told you to take it easy. You haven't moved cattle in years. I know you can, but my question is should you? We have enough men. We're only moving about four hundred head."

Jorge set his jaw. "Hijo, I can still herd cattle and those six bulls will cause trouble. They're wild and not used to people. You'll need my experience."

"I know you're capable. I'm worried about your health."

"Ningun hijo mio desafiara mi autoridad, especialmente en mi propia casa." Jorge walked out.

Cordero stood. "Dad, I'm not challenging your authority." When he heard the den door smack, he walked out the front door and slammed it.


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 9 B

Rosa finished her lemonade before she faced Alexandra. "I'm sorry you had to witness that. Jorge doesn't accept the fact he's getting older."

"And Cord's worried about his health," interrupted Alexandra.

"I'm glad you understand." She picked up some plates. "I'd better do the dishes."

"I'll clear the table."

After the kitchen and dining room were cleaned, Rosa stood and stared out the patio glass door. "Maybe I can smooth things over with Jorge."

"Should I talk with Cord or leave him alone?"

Rosa tilted her head. "He might need a friend. Try, but I can't promise the outcome. He can be just as stubborn as his dad." She smiled. "They share that trait. Who knew it was hereditary?"

*****
Alexandra walked outside and saw Cordero leaning against the corral, staring into space. She approached him and took his right arm in hers and hugged it. "Hello."

After a few silent moments, he said, "Sorry about what happened."

"Every family argues. I know your dad loves you and you love him. That's obvious."

He put his arm around her. "Thanks." His eyes met hers. "I'm surprised you'd venture out."

"I know you're hurting and needed a friend."

"Moving the herd will be hard on all of us, especially Dad. I'm only thinking about his health."

"I know. I think deep down he knows it, too." Alexandra glanced up at his eyes and saw moisture. She scooted between the fence and Cordero and hugged him.

He held her tight.

This continued until Jorge walked up. "Cordero."

Alexandra walked way. "I'll let you talk.

Father and son hugged.

*****
Later that evening Cordero found Rosa and Alexandra sitting in the living room talking. "Sorry to interrupt, but Ali, want to work with Jewel and then visit Bendecida?"

"I'd like that." As they started outside, Alexandra paused. "Let me get my jacket."

While Cordero waited, Jorge came up to him. "That little filly's a keeper."

Grinning, Cordero said, "I know, Dad. I haven't figured out how to keep her from going back to New York City."

When Alexandra returned, Cordero held her jacket while she put it on. "Ready?" She nodded, and he cupped her elbow as he led her to the barn. "Let's work a little more with leading Jewel. When I return, we'll introduce her to a bit."

Jim already had Dolly out of the stall and a rope attached to her halter. He handed Alexandra a second rope. "For Jewel. Let's see how much she remembers."

Cordero and Alexandra walked inside the corral. He stood back as Alexandra walked to the center. She waited for Jewel to come to her.

After petting and talking softly a few moments, Alexandra attached the rope to the halter and then walked to the end of it.

Jim brought out Dolly. "Dolly's jealous. It looks like her services aren't needed." He watched for a few minutes. "Boss, Jewel's doing great. I thought I'd never see the day that wild horse would calm down."

Cordero grinned. "Ali's a natural." He took Dolly's rope. "I'll lead you around." He handed Alexandra a carrot. "I'm sure Jewel will come and get it."

Jewel did and nuzzled Alexandra searching for more.

Alexandra laughed as she petted and hugged Jewel's muzzle. "You're a mess."

This continued until Cordero walked up and put his hand in the small of Alexandra's back. "Let's bring them in. Bendecida's waiting."

As they led the horses into the stable, Jewel's head butted Cordero. He chuckled. "I think she's jealous I'm close to you." His eyes met Alexandra's. "You have three suiters, Jewel, Samson, and me. Where do I stand?"

She patted his cheek. "I'll never tell."

He shook his head. "That low."

As Alexandra knelt next to the foal, Cordero explained, "I want you to continue putting your hands on her. When it comes time to train her, she'll trust humans. You'll need to make sure she's nursing often. So far it's going well. As long as she doesn't stop, she'll be fine. If you have any questions, you can call or text."

Alexandra avoided eye contact. "If I just want to say hi, can I do that too?"

"Anytime. I hope you do."

After a time, Cordero offered his hand. "It's getting late." When Alexandra accepted his hand, he said, "We'd better get inside."

As they walked toward the house, Cordero hesitated and then took a deep breath. "Can we talk before going in?" When she agreed, he continued, "Let's go to the bench on the other side of the house." He put his hand in the small of her back.

They sat in silence before Cordero said, "I wanted to thank you for coming outside. I needed a friend."

Alexandra put her hand on his arm. "Why wouldn't I? I care about you. I knew you were hurting."

He glanced at her hand on his arm. "My experience with women disagrees."

"Care to explain? If not, that's okay."

Cordero studied her hand on his arm. After he exhaled, he said, "I knew Joyce and my relationship had problems before Dad's stroke. Things weren't right. I just didn't feel like going through the hassle of breaking up. It was easier to go along."

His eyes met hers. "When I got the call Dad was in the hospital, I left work and went home to pack. While packing, Joyce called. I explained the situation. She demanded to come. It took her hours to get ready. All I wanted was to get to the hospital and check on Dad. When I commented about wanting to hurry, she took offense."

"I'm sorry."

"I had to take care of the ranch business. When that was done, I went to the hospital to spend time with Dad. Joyce thought it was a vacation and wanted me to take her out on the town. When Dad got home, I finally took her to dinner. She grumbled it wasn't like the Houston restaurants. The entire time, she complained about how small Alpine was and how bored she was."

"How frustrating."

"When we returned to Houston, I gave my Vet Clinic partner two weeks' notice and eventually sold my half. I told Joyce I was moving to the ranch and she wasn't welcome. A few days before Thanksgiving, I moved home."

"Was Joyce okay with that?"

"By then she realized the relationship was over. She wanted nothing to do with the ranch." Cordero gave a partial grin. "She was happy when I was a veterinarian, but being a rancher was too working class.  It doesn't seem to bother you."

"Some women don't understand how good they have it.  I hope I'm not so shallow I'd judge a man for his occupation over his character. I've learned the importance of a man's character. When I'm ready to date again, I'll look for a man who treats me well." She rubbed her arms. "I made a huge mistake and don't want to repeat it."

Cordero stood. "Even with your jacket, you're cold. Let me get another one."

She patted the seat beside her. "No please, sit."

"Thank you for listening." After sitting, he took a deep breath. "Any idea when you'll be ready to date again?"

Alexandra shook her head. "No but being around you makes me realize there are good men out there."

"You make me realize there are women who aren't selfish or shallow." He stood again. "We'd better get inside. Morning comes early around here." 

She took his offered hand.

As he opened the glass patio door, their eyes met, and lips moved closer. Just before they touched, Samson shoved his way between them.

Cordero shook his head. "Samson! Really!"

Alexandra smiled and went to her room.





~~~~~
Spanish accents have been removed so I don't get wierd characters in my posts.

Hijo is Spanish for son. Jorge will use it often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.

Ningun hijo mio desafiara mi autoridad, especialmente en mi propia casa. Is Spanish for 'No son of mine will challenge my authority, especially in my own house. 
~~~~~


CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foreman's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: bank owner, possible suitor for Ali

Sam Bailey: Alpine's Sheriff.

Dale and Dorothy: ranchers who own the mare and the twin foals

Maggie Bentson: an acquaintance

Tonia Black: Alexandra's mother

Joyce: Cords' ex-girlfriend



Recognized

#13
April
2022


Thank you google images for a photo of a cowboy leaning against the corral. This post is a little over 1300 words. Thank you for the review and encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.