General Fiction posted April 14, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Following your dreams along a ...

Long and winding road

by Wendy G




Maggie was going to be a career girl.

She'd always had big dreams, had been an outstanding student, and the careers advisor had said she could achieve anything she set out to do.

Her only problem was – what did she want to do?

Dream big, she told herself. So she did. She worked hard, climbed the corporate ladder swiftly and with energy, and was frequently promoted to positions of greater prestige and responsibility.

Her younger sister and brother had quite short roads of dreams. Both married young, and chose to have babies as soon as practicable.

"But WHY? Don't you want to do something more with your life?" Maggie kept asking them. "Why would you just want to be stuck in the suburbs with a mortgage and kids? BORING!! You'll never be able to travel the world!

Maggie's road of dreams meanwhile was indeed a very long one, winding all over the world, back and forth. She travelled to many countries, but found the bleak weather of some countries depressing, other countries made her feel unsafe with their very high crime rate - and nowhere was perfect.

She enjoyed broadening her experiences, however, and learning about other cultures – but was always glad to return to the sunshine, blue skies, and stability of her home country.

She – the one who was "never going to marry and settle down" – married a young man, Tim, with similar aspirations to hers. However, there were to be no children; she did not want children to tie her down.

Her road of dreams was to lead to success in the world of business, a satisfying social life, adorned with beautiful clothes, and enjoying all that the world could offer. Both Maggie and Tim were strong and independent characters, however, so the marriage soon became shaky.

Meanwhile, in the business world she was receiving an education in the nastiness of top end corporations. She learnt of glass ceilings, of senior level corruption – and of harassment and bullying. For years she stood up for herself and what she believed in, but her road was rocky and troubled with many twists and turns.

It seemed to be uphill all the way – but, like the myth of Sisyphus trying to roll the stone uphill, there was no feeling of accomplishment, and friendships seemed shallow and self-seeking.

She became gaunt and thin. She was frequently tense, upset, and angry at life, and at the complications of following her road of dreams. Her career was not satisfying, and her marriage was imploding.The road of dreams was becoming a nightmare.

Finally they decided to take a side track in life – what was to be a short deviation. Maggie needed a break from the increasing work pressures to compromise and fit in with corrupt practices. Instead of a holiday, they chose to do a "farm-sit", looking after a working farm for two weeks so the owners could enjoy a short break.

Neither of them knew anything about farming. The learning curve was steep, and the work was physically hard. They had to problem-solve with speed and skill when difficult situations arose. They met country people – and found a genuineness and freshness and zest for life which appealed.

On their way home, they saw a graceful old stone cottage, a former restaurant, for sale. They looked at each other. Maggie and Tim both felt the same intuitive feeling that their deviation had in fact brought them to a new road of dreams.

They hastened back to the city; Maggie quit her high-flying job, gave notice to end the luxury apartment lease, and they said good-bye to their socialite friends.

Two years later, they have a beautiful country home they are renovating, satisfying work with others who value a work-life balance, their marriage is stable, healthy and loving, and Maggie is looking healthy and full of life again.

This deviation led to the discovery that the road of dreams can in fact be a country road, leading to a happy home. They are surrounded by good-hearted country folk with different values and mindset - who are helping them with their first baby! Maggie has never been happier.
 

 



Road of Dreams contest entry

Recognized


(approx 700 words)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.