General Fiction posted April 12, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Future Flash Fiction for the Contest

Chasing Butterflies

by June Sargent


Once upon a time there was a land called Amazonia, otherwise known as the Amazon rainforest or jungle. It was home to countless species of flora and fauna, until commercial greed and global warming caused the demise of not only plant and animal life - but also indigenous tribes.

60% of the rainforest was destroyed by the year 2030. Today there are no more majestic jaguars, no more exotic orchids. Just desert.

There is another jungle, however, that did survive man's indifference - the concrete one. This is where I live...for now.

My wife and I discovered an oasis - I think that's what they call it - a place about 125 miles from the city.

We secretly drive there when we're not on work assignment and have staked out a spot for our new home. I've been building a small cabin with wood from old fallen trees.

There are a variety of pretty wildflowers there - and I actually saw a butterfly last week! Up until now I've seen only pictures of them online.

It's a new beginning for us. Since we're expecting a baby in a few months, I need to finish this cabin as soon as possible.

As the last surviving member of the Xipayan tribe - which I don't broadcast, for fear they'll stick pins in me and put me on display in a glass case - I want to keep the promise I made to my grandfather before he passed away.

I will never stop chasing butterflies...



Future Flash Fiction contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. June Sargent All rights reserved.
June Sargent has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.