Romance Fiction posted April 10, 2022 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cordero and Jorge argue.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 9A

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 13 days ago


ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

"Did she slap you again?"

"The opposite. It's confusing."

"Hijo, if this is confusing your mom and I did a horrible job raising you." Jorge shook his head. "And we wasted our money on that high priced university." He studied the shirt in Cordero's hand. "Why aren't you wearing your shirt?"

"Ali forgot her jacket and it was all I had to offer." Cordero hesitated. "Mom and you were great parents, and no you didn't waste your money. Ali's confusing."

Jorge chuckled. "You're in love, probably for the first time in your life. You're going to be confused for a while and it's going to get worse until you two figure out how to maneuver it. It'll be a rocky ride." He walked off.

Cordero shook his head. "So I'll remain confused and worse?"

Over his shoulder, Jorge replied, "Si."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 9 A

When the church service ended, Jorge and Cordero went to Dale's ranch and waited for the nurse mare to arrive.

Rosa and Alexandra went home. After lunch, Rosa asked, "Would you like to go for a ride? There's no reason for us to sit around the house. Who knows when Jorge and Cord will return?"

Alexandra stood. "Sounds great. When Mom's here, do you two go riding?"

"We do. I'll pack a few snacks and we'll go to your mom's and my favorite place. It hasn't gotten horribly hot yet and we had a wet spring, so the wild flowers should still be in bloom. How about fruit and cheese for a snack? I'll also pack some drinks."

"How can I help?"

"Would you run out to the barn and ask Jim to saddle Dolly and my horse, Sasha?"

"Sure."

A few minutes later, Alexandra entered the kitchen. "Jim said the horses will be ready shortly. What do you want me to do?"

Rosa pointed to grapes. "While I finish this, wash those, and then I think we're ready."

After they finished packing snacks and drinks, the ladies went to the barn.

*****
As they rode, Alexandra said, "Every time, I ride out here I'm amazed at how beautiful it is."

"You're mom likes it here too. You're so much like her."

"Thank you for the compliment."

"You seem more relaxed than when you first arrived."

"I am. I'm glad Mom suggested it."

Rosa pointed to her left. "We're going over there. I'm glad you and Cord met."

"Me too."

"Do I see a slight blush?" asked Rosa.

"Maybe I've gotten some sun."

Laughing Rosa said, "I'm sure that's it. It couldn't possibly be you enjoy Cord's company."

"It's fair to say I'm comfortable around him."

"He seems to enjoy your company." Rosa inhaled. "I love the fresh air. We're here. What do you think?"

"This entire field's covered with wild flowers. They're beautiful. So many different colors."

Rosa dismounted.

Alexandra struggled a little. When Rosa came to help, she said, "I guess I need to learn to get off Dolly by myself. Cord usually helps."

"Like Jim helped you on?"

She nodded. "Maybe Cord helps too much. I'll mention it to him."

"That's between you two." Rosa motioned to an area. "Let's go over here."

Glancing around Alexandra said, "What about wild animals?"

Slightly raising her blouse, Rosa exposed a holstered gun. "Never ride out here without some way to protect yourself. It's beautiful and appears peaceful, but it's not. It can be dangerous."

"Cord's mentioned that more than once."

"To change the subject, I noticed your mom faxed some papers yesterday. Do you need to go back to New York City?"

"Not yet. Mom wanted me to review them. I'll do it when we get back and send them first thing tomorrow morning. I've been able to handle the cases I was working on while I've been here. I have nothing pressing coming up. I'm glad you have a fax machine."

"That was Cord's doing." Rosa reached over and touched her hand. "I'm glad you're here. I want you to know you're welcome to stay as long as you need or want too. I'm serious."

"You and Jorge have made me feel welcome and at home." Again, pink covered her cheeks.

"I see the sun's getting to you again. Want to discuss it?"

"Not really."

"It is one of those things if you put it into words, it changes?"

Alexandra nodded. "I think so. I can't put it into words, yet." She picked an Indian Blanket. "Are there any laws about picking flowers?"

"No. This is private property. Should we pick a bouquet?"

"Yes." Alexandra giggled. "A huge one with all the different flowers."

Rosa glanced at her watch.  "We should probably getting back.  I'm sure the men folks will be back before long.  I probably should start dinner."

*****
Pointing Rosa said, "Cordero's truck is in it's usual spot.  I'm sure they're not far."

Later that afternoon, in the barn, Rosa came over to help Alexandra dismount. "No. I'm going to do it myself."

Rosa smiled. "Okay. I'm here if you need help."

Alexandra got partway down and slipped backwards. Cord grabbed her, blocking her fall. "I got you. You need to be careful."

"Thank you, but your mom and I've discussed that I need to learn to get on and off a horse by myself."

He shook his head. "Darn. I was enjoying helping you."

Rosa slapped her son's shoulder and teased, "I should've known it was something like that. You taught Tonia how."

"Come on Mom, a guy's got to have fun." He winked.

Alexandra ignored the banter, reached inside her saddle bag, and brought out a colorful wild flower bouquet. "Aren't they beautiful?"

"They are." He took her hand. "I have something pretty to show you, too." He led her to a back stall. "Look."

"The foal." Alexandra glanced at Cordero. "After I take these inside, can I pet her?"

Rosa studied the foal. "She's adorable. But why's she here?" She noticed the horse beside her. "The nurse mare?"

Jorge walked up and kissed his wife's cheek. "Dale wouldn't accept the financial help for the nurse mare. As payment for Cord's work, he gave him the foal."

Cord exhaled. "I don't know how I'm going to take fulltime care of the foal. On Tuesday, we're moving the herd. I can't be in two places at once."

Alexandra's eyes met his. "I don't know anything about foals, but I'm a fast learner. I'll take care of the foal. Let me do it."

Rosa touched Cord's shoulder. "I'll help, too. Between the two of us, it'll be covered."

Cordero shook his head. "I guess this foal will be a family affair. Dad's already offered."

Jorge added, "You can train the ladies on what to look for. I think the mare will do most of the work. As long as the foal nurses, it'll be fine. We should name her."

Alexandra handed Rosa the flowers and then opened the stall door. She walked up to the foal and knelt, petting her. "Cord, what's blessed in Spanish?"

"Bendecido. Why?"

"I feel this foal is blessed because you were her vet. Can we name her Bendecido?"

Rosa smiled. "I think that's a good idea, but for a foal it would be Bendecida."

Jorge and Cordero agreed.

Jim walked in and chuckled. "A family meeting in the barn. Most families have them in the house." He glanced inside the stall. "Howdy, little one."

Alexandra petted the foal. "Jim, meet Bendecida."

"I see our stable's growing."

Rosa glanced at her watch. "Dinner! I'd almost forgotten. I'd better get inside."

Standing up. Alexandra said, "I'll help. Bye, little one. I'll be out after dinner."

*****
During dinner Jorge asked, "Cord, what are your ideas for Tuesday?"

"I've made a list of supplies. It's in the den. I'll show you after dinner. Add anything I forgot. I'll go to town tomorrow and get them. I was thinking of taking Bob, Jim..."

"If you're taking Jim, who's staying with the ladies?" interrupted Jorge.

Cordero's eyes widened. "By that question, I'm guessing you're planning on coming." He paused. "Dad, I figured you'd stay with the ladies. We'll be gone at least two nights. The doc told you to take it easy. You haven't moved cattle in years. I know you can, but my question is should you? We have enough men. We're only moving about four hundred head."

Jorge set his jaw. "Hijo, I can still herd cattle and those six bulls will cause trouble. They're wild and not used to people. You'll need my experience."

"I know you're capable. I'm worried about your health."

"Ningun hijo mi­o desafiara mi autoridad, especialmente en mi propia casa." Jorge walked out.

Cordero stood. "Dad, I'm not challenging your authority." When he heard the den door smack, he walked out the front door and slammed it.




~~~~~
Spanish accents have been removed so I don't get wierd characters in my posts.

Hijo is Spanish for son. Jorge will use it often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.

Ningun hijo mio desafiara mi autoridad, especialmente en mi propia casa. Is Spanish for 'No son of mine will challenge my authority, especially in my own house.'  
~~~~~


CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foreman's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: bank owner, possible suitor for Ali

Sam Bailey: Alpine's Sheriff.

Dale and Dorothy: ranchers who own the mare and the twin foals

Maggie Bentson:  an acquaintance

Tonia Black: Alexandra's mother



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


I WILL PROBABLY POST MONDAY NEXT WEEK BECAUSE SUNDAY IS EASTER SUNDAY.

Thank you google images for a photo of a Texas wildflower bouquet. Chapter 9 will be posted in two posts This post is a little under 1300 words. Thank you for the review and encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.