Spiritual Non-Fiction posted April 9, 2022 Chapters:  ...30 31 -32- 33... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Early Branches Of David's Family Tree

A chapter in the book Sea Of Galilee

Sea Of Galilee #32

by Brett Matthew West


The Book of Samuel is one book in the Hebrew Bible, and two books in the Old Testament [1 and 2 Samuel].

Along with Joshua, Judges, and Kings, the Book of Samuel is part of the narrative history of Ancient Israel from about 1150BC (the Iron Age) to almost 70AD (when the Roman Empire destroyed the Second Temple).

This Deuteronomistic history constitutes a theological history of the Israelites and aims to explain God's law for Israel under the guidance of the prophets.

The Book of Chronicles, the last book of the Hebrew Bible, concluded the third section of the Jewish Tanakh, the Ketuvim (Torah, Prophets, Ketuvim [a genealogy from Adam to the Edict of Cyrus in 539BC of Ancient Judah and Ancient Israel.] This Edict, in the Hebrew Bible, is mentioned as authorizing and encouraging Hebrews to return to the Land of Israel and rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem (Chapter 36 of 2 Chronicles).

Samuel and Chronicles both identify David as the son of Jesse the Bethlehemite. His role as David's father, and ancestor of Jesus, is depicted in the hymn "Lo, How A Rose E'er Blooming". The Talmud identifies Nitzevet as David's mother. The Book of Ruth says Nitzevet's father, Adael, was the great-grandson of Ruth the Moabite by Boaz.

The Books of Samuel and Chronicles further say David was the youngest of eight sons, and he had at least two sisters. Abishai, Joab, and Asahel, all sons of his sister Zeruiah, served in David's army.

1 Samuel 16:6, and 1 Chronicles 2:13, both list Eliab as David's oldest brother. God told Samuel Eliab did not have the heart to be king. David's other siblings are listed as Abinadab (fought with Saul against the Philistines when Goliath was killed), Shimeah, Nathaniel, Raddai, Ozem, Zeruiah, and Abigail.

David cemented various political and national groups by marriage. When David killed Goliath, Saul offered him his oldest daughter Merab. David turned him down. Saul then gave his younger daughter Michal to David for 100 Philistine foreskins.

According to 2 Samuel 3, David took wives in Hebron. They were:

-Ahinoam from Jezreel, the mother of David's firstborn son Amnon, who Absalom, his half-brother, murdered as revenge for the rape of his sister Tamar.

-Maachah the daughter of Talmi, the king of Geshur, which is now in the Sothern Golan Heights. She was Absalom's mother

-Abigail, the widow of Nabal the Carmelite, and mother of David's son Chileab.

-Haggith

-Abital

-Eglah

-Maachah, Absalom's mother. He rebelled against David and was killed in the Battle of the Wood of Ephraim. Put to death after fleeing the battle and his hair got tangled in tree branches he could not get loose from. At the time he was suspended off the ground. Executed by General Joab of David's army.

David had six sons while in Hebron. They were:

-Amnon, by Ahinoam - David's firstborn son and heir apparant to the throne of Israel. Raped his half-sister Tamar and assassinated by his half-brother Absalom for it.

-Daniel, by Abigal - Known as Chileab and listed as a son of David (1 Chronicles 3:1 and 2 Samuel 3:3). Rabbonic tradition named him one of four Ancient Israelites who died without sin. The others were Jesse (David's father), Amron (praised for his faith in the Epistle to the Hebrews by Paul), and Benjamin.

-Absalom, by Maachah - Regarded as the most handsome man in the kingdom.

-Adonijah, by Haggith - Proclaimed himself king during David's terminal illness. Peacefully ceded the throne to Solomon, who put him to death.

-Shephatiah, by Abital. - Not significantly important.

-Ithream, by Eglah - not significantly important

In Jerusalem, David had many other wives and concubines including Bathsheba, his eighth wife (2 Samuel 12:24). 1 Chronicles 3:5-8 says David and Bathsheba had 13 children:

-Nathan - named after Nathan the prophet. According to the Gospel of Luke, the genealogy of Jesus is traced back to King David through Nathan.

-Solomon - Was the fabulously wealthy monarch of the United Kingdom of Israel. Reigned about 970BC to almost 931BC. The Northern Kingdom of Israel, and the Southern Kingdom of Judah, split after his death. Built the First Temple in Jerusalem.

-Shammua - not significantly important
-Shobab - not significantly important
-Ibhar - not significantly important
-Elishaua - not significantly important
-Elpelet - not significantly important
-Eliada - not significantly important
-Nogah - not significantly important
-Nepheg - not significantly important
-Japhia - not significantly important
-Elishama - not significantly important

and in 2 Samuel 12:15-23 a son who died because of David's adultery with Bathsheba and the murder of Uriah (2 Samuel 12:1-8).

2 Chronicles 11:18 says Jerimoth was one of David's sons. He is not mentioned in any other genealogies.

Sources:

Bible
agapebiblestudy.com
psalmsstudy.com
biblegateway.com
bibletales.online

Next Time: Sea Of Galilee #33: United Monarchy




The Inlet, by cleo85, selected to complement my posting.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.