General Fiction posted April 7, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
If it came to court, would the Big Bad Wolf be found guilty?

In Defence of the Big Bad Wolf

by GeraldShuler

Fairy Tale Contest Winner 

Being a Cub Reporter on a big city newspaper has its drawbacks... like getting all the garbage assignments that most likely won't make print anyway. That is how I ended up in the courtroom trial of the notorious Big Bad Wolf.

The case was well known. Sloppy reporting had the world thinking Wolf had died in the Red Riding Hood incident, but there he was, sitting in the witness box, sworn in and ready to testify with the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

"Your Honor," the defense attorney began, "my client has been woefully mis-represented. Even his name is wrong."

"Please state your name for the records." The judge looked at Wolf so the witness answered.

"My name is Badewolf... B.G. Badewolf. If you need the full title it is Doctor B.G. Badewolf."

"Which the newspapers misprinted as Big Bad Wolf. Leave it to the media to get things wrong." The attorney seemed pleased to have this point well received by the judge. "Dr. Badewolf is no criminal. He is, in every way, an asset to society."

The judge once again looked at Wolf... excuse me, Badewolf. "If you are such an upstanding citizen, then how did these accusations come about then, Dr. Badewolf? How is it that you were even in Grandma's house when Red Riding Hood arrived?"

"Sir, I am a Doctor. Grandma was sick and needed my attention." He paused briefly, then added "She is the one who called me... why else would she have opened the door when I knocked?"

"So, you were in the house on a legitimate medical call. Why, then, did Riding Hood attack you?"

"I believe she was upset because I had the medical expertise to identify the apple pie she had for her Grandma. It was obviously made with the Wicked Queen's poison apples." He paused briefly, then added, in a woeful voice, ""My heart went out for the poor old lady. I tried to warn her about the evil her grand daughter was trying to inflict on tsuch a sweet, defenseless victim... and old. Did I mention that Grandma was very, very old. Riding Hood was furious that I had recognized the poison apples and intervened in her wicked plan."

"So, is that when she attacked you?"

"It wasn't just her, Your Honor. Her twin brother was nearby, posing as a woodsman with an ax. He was only there to help perpetrate another one of their growing list of well known forest crimes."

"Another? Please, enlighten the court. To which crimes are you referring?"

"This vicious pair have been a problem for many years. Surely you have heard about some of their vile crimes. It amazes me that they have gone so long without being arrested and brought before you, Your Honor. They have skillfully hidden from the forest police by using several aliases but their crime wave is still well documented. They once stole water from the Forest Hill Water Well as Jack and Jill. They then vandalized poor Mrs. Witchette's gingerbread house. In that crime they even shamelessly littered the forest path with breadcrumbs. She has also been reported as harassing the unfortunate Threebear family under the name of Goldilocks. In that crime she not only stole the Threebear's food but she totally destroyed Baby Threebear's favorite chair. Then she ran off without even saying she was sorry. She is as cold blooded as they come, Sir." He shook his head sadly. "Your Honor, she is an immediate threat to every law abiding forest creature."

"I notice your own record shows that you have been accused of criminal activity in the past. Can you enlighten the court about that?"

"In my youth, Your Honor, I was well known for my strength. I could easily blow over a house with just a huff and a puff. I once did blow over the houses of two little pigs... quite by accident, Your Honor. In fact, it was that unfortunate incident that changed my life and convinced me to become a doctor." He took a feeble breath of air. "Now, though, it is a struggle just to blow out the many, many candles on my birthday cake."

"So this Red Riding Hood person actually aggressively attacked a feeble old doctor who was trying to help a sick lady?"

"That is exactly what happened, Sir. If it were only myself that has been wronged, I would simply take the insult to my integrity and let the little girl go her merry way, but, Your Honor, my moral upbringing can not bare the thought of other innocent forest creatures being submitted to their tyranny. "

The judge slammed his gavel on the desk. "I think we have heard more than enough." He rubbed his chin in disgust. "Dr. Badewolf, this court apologizes for the atrocious insult that has been cast upon your distinguished integrity. You are obviously no more a big bad wolf than I am. You are free to go Doctor. Case dismissed. Mr. Badewolf, you are free to go with all of this court's sincere respect." The judge pointed to the Bailiff, anger glowing in his eyes. "Bailiff, I want a warrant put out for this Red Riding Hood. She has some serious explaining to do."

With that verdict, the defendant rose to his feet and walked to the exit, big teeth showing through his smile. I noticed as he walked past me that a huge, furry tail was wagging with excitement beneath the backside of his coat. I took as many pictures as I could as he walks past me.

"Mr. Badewolf, can I ask you a few questions?"

His reply to me sounded more like a growl. "The only answer you need is that I am innocent. Make sure the truth comes out in your newspaper report."

His tail swished even more briskly as he left the court room.

As the judge rose to leave I noticed (I swear this is true) the same kind of furry tail swishing under his black robe.

I put my notepad in my pocket and turned the recorder off. This story couldn't wait. Even though written by a cub reporter, I could actually see it making the front page tomorrow.



Fairy Tale
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GeraldShuler All rights reserved.
GeraldShuler has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.