General Non-Fiction posted March 24, 2022 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The best surprise ever......

A chapter in the book FAMILY - SHORT STORIES

Fireworks Forever

by Begin Again




Was it April 27th or April 28th? The answer depends on who you ask.
 
We both agree it happened at the anniversary celebration and grand opening of our banquet room, but our thoughts on the events differ.
 
We both agree that it had been a spectacular night celebrating with our customers and the after-party was the frosting on the cake. Our employees had surrounded and serenaded me, singing "Take This Job and Shove It." I danced on the tabletops with a bit of encouragement and was crowned Queen of Top Flight. In your inebriated state, with the over-enthusiastic urging of the entire establishment, they crowned you, my King.
 
Much to my chagrin, I suddenly found you kneeling before me with a long-stemmed cherry between your teeth, which you dropped into a champagne glass before presenting it to me. You attempted to stand, lost your balance and found yourself sprawled across the dance floor. It was not the prettiest of sights.

Laughter erupted around the room, with me laughing the loudest, I am sure. Shaking my head, I discreetly headed for the lady's room, fearing my bladder would cause another spectacle, a real ugly sight.

Once relieved, I stepped into the hallway to find you waiting outside the bathroom door. I laughed at your forlorn look. It reminded me of a little schoolboy who'd lost his best friend.

Of course, the look was quite unrealistic; after all, everyone considered you the uncatchable lady's man, fun, self-assured, and smooth as silk. I'd heard all the crazy antics you pulled with multiple dates and how women still returned for more. You were the man women's hearts lusted for in their dreams, regardless of what common sense told them. Always the gentleman, but still looking for a good time. You could bait the hook, cast the line, and reel them in faster than anyone I'd ever met.
 
We'd been neighbors, best friends, sidekicks, and shoulders to cry on for fifteen years. We shared more with each other than we did with anyone else. We knew the good and which closets held the scary skeletons. Even through our divorces, we were each other's support system. You brought the laughter, and I carried the common sense.
 
I guess that was the foundation for opposites attract. It caught me off-guard when you pushed me against the wall and said I hadn't let you finish. Expecting a wisecrack or some joke, I was stunned when you kissed me and followed it with an I love you. In the heat of the moment, I understood why women kept coming back for more. Your level-headed business partner swooned. Later, I would blame it on the alcohol, but neither of us bought it.
 
As luck would have it, one of our employees came in search of us, and I quickly escaped to the banquet room and the festivities. You held me, and we danced, but neither mentioned the kiss. I chalked it up to alcohol.
 
We returned to the banquet room the following day to finish the clean-up. You were quiet, and I asked if you had the expected hangover. Of course, you denied it but continued to work without having much to say. So accustomed to your humor and laughter spilling out all the time, I was beyond flustered.
 
I was the peacemaker, not that I thought we were at war, but we weren't on an even keel. I remember our conversation so clearly.
 
I ventured forward. "The party was a complete success, wasn't it?"
 
"Yeah, the customers enjoyed it, and so did the crew." Your answer was short and to the point.
 
"Don't tell me you didn't have fun. I am surprised you can even remember it."
 
"I remember." You looked at me strangely and then walked into the cooler.
 
I was surprised. I hadn't thought you'd remember any of it, but you said you did. Now I was confused because I knew you never got embarrassed. Did you think I was angry or disturbed by the kiss? Getting the cold shoulder from you was not something I had ever experienced before that morning, and I refused to take it lightly.
 
When you came out of the cooler, I was armed and ready. "What's wrong with you? If it's not a hangover, then what is it?"
 
Your brown eyes stared at me, but you said nothing.
 
"If it's about the kiss and telling me you loved me, don't worry about it. I know it was the alcohol talking. I'm not an idiot."
 
"No, I guess I'm the idiot." You moved closer to me. And then, ten years of Fourth of July fireworks exploded as you kissed me. Coming up for air, I saw the twinkle in your eyes again. You smiled. "I meant it when I said I love you. Does that make me an idiot?"
 
It would take another story to explain the emotions shooting through me at that moment, but honestly, like all the other women, you'd swept me off my feet, and they'd never touch the ground again. Our deep friendship would be the lasting foundation of a beautiful love affair that remains, even though you aren't physically here. I can close my eyes and see your smile, feel your love, and know that you'll wait till we meet again.

 



Non-Fiction Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized

#59
March
2022
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.