Romance Fiction posted March 20, 2022 Chapters:  ...78 79 -80- 81... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Does Katherine accept Gabriel proposal?

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Chapter 51

by barbara.wilkey




Background
After Katherine's husband dies, she struggles raising her four sons by herself. Can Gabriel be the father figure the boys never had and the husband she deserves?
Katherine and Gabriel have known each other for 76 days.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

When Gabriel returned to the bedroom, Katherine was asleep. He went back to the kitchen and called Troy Elder, his lawyer and friend.

Once the call was answered Gabriel said, "Thank you for asking. Her first round of chemo isn't going well." He listened. "Yes, she just gave me the will." Again, he listened. "Of course, I'd be honored to raise the boys. You know her in-laws will contest this, don't you?" He tapped the table as he listened. "So, she expected that, and had you write it in such a way they could never get or have access to them."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 51

Around six o'clock Saturday morning, Jordan stood in his mom's bedroom doorway. "Coach? Coach?"

Gabriel awoke and sat on the edge of the bed. "Jordan, I'm sorry. I fell asleep. Nothing..."

"Don't worry, Coach," interrupted Jordan. "I know Mom had a hard night." He glanced up at the air vent. "I heard her vomiting all night."

Gabriel stood. "I'll take you to practice."

"I can jog." He grinned.

Gabriel placed his hand on the teenager's shoulder. "I'll take you. You had a good game last night. I'm sorry I wasn't there to witness it."

"Me too. But I'm glad you settled things with Mom."

"So am I."

*****
After Gabriel discussed a few things with Bill, he stopped by his apartment, and grabbed some clothes. Once at Katherine's, he went out back. I might as well work out before I shower. I'm sure Katherine will sleep for a while.

*****
Mid-morning, Katherine stood at the kitchen window and watched before she went to the back porch. "Good morning, it looks like you've been at this for a while. Are you trying to work through something?" She released a deep breath. "After the way I spoke to you yesterday, I owe you an apology. I'm sure you've changed your mind."

Gabriel grabbed a towel and dried his face, neck, and hair. "Yes and no." He grinned. "Breathe. I know it was the circumstances that caused you to lash out. My love for you or the boys hasn't changed."

He pointed to a lawn chair. "Have a seat. I'd rather shower before we talk, but you look worried. First, we don't need to worry about the will because you're going to be around to a ripe-old-age, but yes, if something happens, I'd be honored to raise the boys."

He glanced toward the kitchen. "I sure could use a cup of coffee." Pausing he added, "That can wait. My work-out thoughts; I fell asleep last night beside you. Jordan woke me up."

Katherine's hand flew over her mouth. "No!" After a moment, she continued, "But nothing happened."

"I was completely dressed and on the outside of the blankets. Jordan knows that. He said he heard through the air vent that you had a rough night."

"This can't happen again."

"I know. That's what I was thinking about." He wiped his hand with the towel before he took hers. "I also don't want to wait twenty-six weeks to make you my wife. I want to get married today."

Katherine's eyes widened. "We can't even get a license. It's Saturday."

Gabriel grinned. "Other than that, would you say yes?"

Getting up, Katherine walked inside.

He followed her. "This silence is making me nervous."

Her eyes met his. "I love you, but this is too fast. We've only known each other a few months. There's no way I can plan a wedding in a day."

"I think it can be done." He held a chair and waited for her to sit before he continued, "I've thought about this. Mom and Dad can pull in some favors, get the license, and minister. Angie can get your dress and my ring. Sarah can take care of the flowers. We'll have the wedding here..." he grinned, "near the bathroom." He hesitated. "Both our moms, with Angie's help can come up with dinner."

"We'll only invite our parents, Bill, Angie, and Paul?"

"Yes, and Paul's wife."

Katherine rubbed her arms. "I doubt our wedding night would live up to your expectations."

Gabriel leaned over and kissed her. "I understand. That's not why I'm marrying you. When all of this is over, I promise you a honeymoon worthy of our love." He glanced toward the bedroom. "I won't allow you to go through this alone. I will be by your side. For that to happen, I need to live here. Being married will stop a lot of problems, plus I want to set a good example for the boys."

"Thank you." Katherine jumped up and ran to the bathroom.

"By the way, I called Carol. Your mom's picking up a new anti-barf prescription. I hope you don't mind."

Katherine returned. "Sorry and thank you."

"You haven't answered my question." Gabriel knelt on one knee. "Will you marry me, today?"

"Who would give me away?" She tilted her head. "What about the boys?"

"That's perfect." Hanging his head, Gabriel chuckled. "I'm down here on one knee and you still haven't answered my question." He rose, took a small box out of his gym bag, and got down on his knee, again. "Maybe this will help. I've had it for a while but was waiting for the right time." He opened the box revealing an engagement ring. "Katherine, will you please marry me?"

Katherine covered her mouth.

Gabriel placed the carat diamond ring on her finger. "I took the hand covering your mouth as a yes."

She found her voice, "Yes," and threw her arms around his neck. "Yes."

After a few lingering kisses, Katherine ran to the bathroom.

Shaking his head, Gabriel said, "I'll get this wedding in motion." He made phone calls.

 
THE END

 

CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons. She teaches high school math and also coaches girls' cross country.

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua: Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel: Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Angie Brooks: Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Sarah and Bob Beck: Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Bill Brooks: Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.

Troy Elder: Lawyer and friend of Gabriel from his pro-football days



Recognized

#10
March
2022


Thank you Google images for the photo of a diamond ring. I also want to thank everybody for the helpful reviews. Again, thank you for catching those errors. This novel is not actually about football but is part of the background. High football is a national pastime in Texas. This post is a little under 900 words.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.