Romance Fiction posted March 20, 2022 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
And they danced

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 7C

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cord give his heart to Ali? If he does, will she accept it? Will Ali discover if she's the girl next door?
Cordero and Alexandra met 11 days ago


ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Alexandra studied an image. It's Pat, but why would he be here?

As they left the restaurant, Cordero said, "I hope you enjoyed dinner."

She leaned her head against his arm. "I did, thank you."

Cordero grinned. "Good. I hope you enjoy dancing."



TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 7c

At the Railroad Blues, Cordero opened the pick-up door for Alexandra. He cupped her elbow and led her inside. "Here we are."

"I know how to dance, but I don't know this one."

"I'll teach you."

After they found a table, a waitress stopped and asked for their order. Alexandra said, "I'll take a white wine."

The waitress, Christy smiled. "Sweetie, we don't have that here."

Alexandra glanced at Cordero. He ordered, "The lady'll have Ginger Ale, and I'll have a beer."

Christy asked, "Your usual?"

"Yes." As Christy left, Cordero winked at Alexandra and said, "I hope Ginger Ale's okay. I'm guessing you're not a drinker."

"I'm not. Thank you."

After their drinks were brought, they each took a sip, and Cordero stood. "Ready to try dancing?" He held her chair.

She glanced at the dancefloor. "I'll try, but..."

He took her hand. "This one's easy. It's a simple line dance."

Alexandra attempted the moves and got frustrated as she mixed up the order they came in.

Cordero moved behind her. "If it's okay, I'll show you." After she nodded, he put his arms around her and helped her move her hands. When it came time to move her lower body, he'd touch the hips or legs and whispered which direction to move.

Laughing they continued this for two dances. Finally, Alexandra said, "Thank you. I think I have it."

"You sure?"

"I'm pretty sure." She smiled. "I think you're enjoying the closeness way too much."

His dark brown eyes twinkled. "I plead the fifth."

After Alexandra proved she had learned the dance, Cordero asked, "Ready for a break?" When she nodded, he led her to the table. "Hungry?"

She rubbed her stomach. "You've got to be kidding."

He chuckled. "I never kid about food."

A little later, music for a slow dance began. He held out his hand, and Alexandra accepted it. The dance proceeded respecting an appropriate distance between them.

As the second song played, Alexandra gradually crept closer until her head rested against Cordero's chest.

After he swallowed, he asked, "Is this for Pat's benefit?"

Alexandra glanced around. "He's here?"

He motioned his head. "Over by the bar."

She exhaled. "No." Her eyes met his. "It's because, I've never had so much fun on a date in my entire life."

Their stare continued as their lips moved closer.

Just before they shared their first kiss, Pat tapped Cordero's shoulder. "May I cut in?"

Cordero glanced at Alexandra. "Is it all right?" She nodded, and he stepped away.

Pat attempted to pull her close, but she moved back. "You need to keep a distance or this dance is over."

He stepped back.

"Thank you." After a moment, she said, "I don't believe in coincidences
. I saw you at the restaurant and now you showed up here. Are you stalking me?"

"Not exactly. I'm worried about you."

Her eyebrows rose. "What?"

"Ortiz has a history of abusing women. I don't want that to happen to you."

"He's been nothing but a perfect gentleman."

"Ask him what happened to Amy Harding."

She walked away, but over her shoulder said, "I don't need to."

Cordero put his hand on her arm. "Is there a problem?"

"I took care of it."

"Do you want to take a break or dance?"

Alexandra took his hand. "Let's dance."

"Okay." Cordero held Alexandra. "You're tense. Are you sure you're all right?"

She exhaled. "I'm fine." She leaned against his chest. "I just need a minute."

He leaned his head against the top of hers. After a few moments, he said, "I can feel you relaxing."

"I am. Thank you."

"I didn't do anything."

"You did more than you know."

He twirled her and she went back into him arms. "Care to explain?"

She smiled. "Nope."

Maggie came and grabbed Alexandra's arm yanking her away from Cordero.

Alexandra's eyes widened. "Who are you? What are you doing?"

"I'm Cord's girlfriend. I don't like the way you're coming on to him. He's mine."

"Cord, what's going on?"

His eyes widened. "Maggie?"

Alexandra glared at him. "You know her?"

He nodded. "Yes, but I don't understand..."

"I won't be the other woman," interrupted Alexandra, slapped Cordero's cheek, and ran outside.

Cordero followed. "Ali, wait. I can explain."

Pat grabbed his shoulder. "It's about time Alexandra realized what you are."

Bob and Jim stepped between the two men. Jim grabbed Cordero's raised fist. "He's not worth it. Go after Ali."

Cordero ran out, stopped, and scanned both directions. Where'd she go?

One of the guys standing outside smoking asked, "You looking for that pretty city gal who just ran out?" After Cordero acknowledged he was, the man pointed. "She went east."

Running to his truck, Cordero yelled, "Thanks." He sped away, with tires kicking up rocks. She couldn't have gone far.

When he saw her, he parked alongside the road and jumped out. He rushed up and took her arm.

Alexandra yanked it away. "Don't touch me."

He pulled his arm back. "Okay. Get in."

Her eyes glared daggers. "I'm not going anywhere with you." She turned away.

He glanced at the sky and closed his eyes before he continued, "Ali..."

"Alexandra to you."

"I get you're pissed. Let me take you home. Not only are you going in the wrong direction, it's dangerous out here."

After she faced the other direction and started walking, he added, "There are mule deer, elk, pronghorn, coyotes, wolves, black bear, snakes, cougar, peccary, and feral hogs."

Reaching out his hand for her take, he continued, "There's always the most dangerous of all; a drunk cowboy. Now get your butt in the truck, and let me take you home."

Without accepting his hand, she headed toward the pick-up. "I'll accept a ride home, only because I forgot my purse. Don't expect me to speak to you.

He shook his head. "Of course not."

She attempted to open the pick-up door but couldn't. "Unlock the door."

"It is. You need to press the silver button."

She continued to press it. "I am. It doesn't work."

He reached around her, pressed it once, let go, and opened the door. "Like this."

She released a deep breath as she climbed in.

Cordero drove about a half a mile before he glanced at Alexandra. "You don't need to cling to the door. I'm not going to leap across the seat and molest you."



~~~~~

Starting today, I'll be posting this novel on Sunday's. I hope you enjoy it.

~~~~~

 
CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foreman's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat: bank owner, possible suitor for Ali

Sam Bailey: Alpine's Sheriff.

Dale and Dorothy: ranchers who own the mare and the twin foals

Sarah: waitress and owner of Bambi

Ralph and Betty: towns people

Maggie:  a friend



Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of a black bear at night. Chapter 7, about Cord and Ali's date is very long and I divided it into four parts for FanStory. This post is a little over 1100 words. Thank you for the review and encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.