Mystery and Crime Fiction posted February 24, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a varied twist to this challenge

No Surprise Here

by Tom Horonzy


The last time I saw Charlie... would have been in the final episode, even though it was again of his back as he left out the door.

In fact, no one ever got to see the whole of Charlie over the six seasons the program aired, save for a half dozen times when he was viewed peripherally from the rear. But we knew his voice, heard weekly, when he opened the program saying...

"Once upon a time, there were three very different little girls who grew up to be three very different women with three things in common: they're brilliant, they're beautiful, and they work for me. My name is Charlie."

Charles Townsend was a recluse millionaire who ponied up a fortune to finance a stable of very feminine private detectives, including Kelly, (Jaclyn Smith), Sabrina, (Kate Jackosn) and Jill (Farah Fawcett-Majors), graduates of the L.A.P.D. police academy.

Bosley, as in John Bosley, (David Doyle) was responsible for the team's recruitment and training. He assisted the Angels by phone mostly through every episode save one, in the five-plus years Angel's aired.

Why were there only female investigators? Recall, Mr. Townsend's theory was that 'no man would take a woman as a threat,' thereby letting his team get the inside track to solving cases.

Charlie's stand-in on the program weekly was a snapshot of the office Western Electric speakerphone, posh for the time the series was filmed. Each episode began with Charlie's voice introducing their new assignments.

The network annually worked in a teaser, tempting the girls would get to meet the elusive Mr. Townsend. It never occurred. Therefore, neither you, I, or anyone can definitely say...

"The last time I saw Charlie."




Charlie writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story that begins with the line: The last time I saw Charlie ... (continue the sentence and story)


Hey, I began it the way I was supposed to, no?
Picture taken by yours truly
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Tom Horonzy All rights reserved.
Tom Horonzy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.