Romance Fiction posted February 19, 2022 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cordero and Alexandra almost kiss.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 6A

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cord give his heart to Ali? If he does, will she accept it? Will Ali discover if she's the girl next door?
Cordero and Alexandra met 8 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Cordero held Dolly and assisted Alexandra up. As he mounted Chip, he said, "You know you're free to do whatever you want, don't you?"

"I'm doing exactly that." After he nodded, she added, "Your mom touched Pat's hand while talking, and he yanked it away. I'm not sure why."

"Really? Why do you think?"

She leaned over and hugged Dolly's neck. "Because she's Mexican/American?"

"Now you understand how deep the rivalry goes."

They rode in silence, before Alexandra said, "I forgot to mention...,"

"Our date to go dancing Friday evening?" interrupted Cordero. When pink crept over her cheeks, he grinned. "I overheard. I'll pick you up after dinner or would you like to go to dinner first?" As she shrugged, he continued, "We'll go to dinner, then dancing. How's that?" She smiled, and he added, "It's a date."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 6a.

While eating breakfast Tuesday morning, Jorge asked, "Cord, what are your plans for the day?"

"Once we've finished breakfast, I'm going to check on Dale's mare and the twins. When I return, about nine-thirty or ten, I want to make sure the herds safe and then search for some places that might be safer to graze them. Want to go along?"

"Yes. You plan on going by horse or truck?" Jorge sipped coffee.

"Both. I figure to save time we'll drive to the area, but to really check things we'll need to be on horseback. When I'm on the way home, I'll call Jim and have him load the horses. I thought I'd call Bob and have him and a couple ranch hands come along."

"Good idea." Jorge smiled at Rosa. "Would you mind packing some cold drinks and food?"

"I always do, don't I?"

He leaned over and kissed her cheek. "You do."

"Mom, plan for six maybe seven guys and Klaus and Otto. I think we'll bring them." Cordero's eyes met Alexandra's. "Would you like to see the twin day old foals?"

"Can I?"

Cordero glanced at his watch. "If you can be ready in fifteen minutes, you're more than welcome."

*****
As they headed toward Dale's ranch Alexandra asked, "It sounds as if a mare having twins is dangerous."

"It is. We try to catch it early in the pregnancy and abort one of the twins. It's not healthy for the mare or the foals. Dale refused to let me kill one. So we have twins. So far, it's going good but they're still in danger."

"Can momma take care of two babies?"

"Not really. I'd like to use a nurse mare for one, but there's not one available. Abby, the mare, has a history of being a good mom, but two are just too much."

"What are you going to do?"

"Bottle feed one and hope it makes it."

"You're going to be busy with these two, aren't you?"

"I am, but it'll be worth it if both foals survive."

Alexandra stared out the windshield.

*****
At Dale's ranch, Cordero helped Alexandra from the pick-up before grabbing his veterinarian bag. Dale came from the house and walked into the barn with them as Cordero introduced Alexandra.

Cordero grinned. "It looks like these two are going great." He walked over to Abby. "How are you doing, Mom?" After she nuzzled him, he said, "I know they're a handful, but you can do it."

Cordero's eyes met Dale's. "Have they worked out who's nursing and who's bottle feeding?"

Dale pointed to the male. "He seems a little more aggressive and pushes her out. I'm bottle feeding her. She's taking it well."

Cordero adjusted his hat. "Good. I've put the word out for a nurse mare. Hopefully, one shows up."

Turning toward the house, Dale said, "A nurse mare will be mighty expensive. Dorothy and I are taking turns feeding her."

"Don't worry about the cost. There's a special fund to help ranchers with situations like this." Cordero grinned watching Alexandra pet the foals but kept an eye on the mare in case she objected to having them receive attention. So far, she seemed not to mind.

"Dale, I brought more formula. After I examine these three, I'll get it." He quickly opened his bag and began examinations. He shook his head when Alexandra discovered the kittens. "Lily won't like it if you bring home a new kitten."

Giggling, Alexandra said, "You're right. She's the jealous type," as she followed a kitten from the barn.

After he finished, he scanned the area. "Dale, any idea where Ali went?"

"I saw her go out back."

Cordero walked toward the back opening and saw Alexandra statue like and pale. He glanced forward and saw a coiled rattlesnake. He removed his pistol, shot, and killed the snake.

Alexandra screamed.

He ran to her and grabbed her into a hug. He kissed the top of her head. "You're safe. It's dead."

She clung to him, sobbing against his chest.

Dale went over and examined the snake. "Doc, it's a Mojave rattler. What's it doing in these parts?"

"They're around just rare. Leave it to Ali to find one."

Alexandra's moist eyes met Cordero's. "What's a Mojave rattler?"

He gulped. "Only the most venomous rattler and the second most venomous snake in Texas."

"What's the first? I need to know what to look for."

He grinned. "Texas Coral Snake. It's usually found in the southeastern part of the state. Not around here." He started to loosen the hug.

Scooting in, holding tighter, she said, "I'm sure I'll find the one that likes to travel."

Dale took a hoe. "Doc, how do you suggest I dispose of this critter?"

"I'd burn him. He's still dangerous if something gets poked by a fang."

"Will do." Dale walked off carrying the snake on the hoe.

Alexandra took a step back, but then moved closer again.

"Not ready?" After she nodded, Cordero said, "Take as long as you need."

After a few moments, she backed away. "I know you have a busy day."

He removed his bandana. "Here. Don't worry about my busy day. Your well-being takes priority."

"Thank you."

"I'm sure I'm not the only man who feels that way.

Her cheeks glowed pink.

He tilted his head. "Are you daddy's little princess?" As her cheeks turned a darker shade of red, he teased, "You are." Her cheeks went even darker. "Grandpa too?" He put his arm around her waist and squeezed. "So you melt the heart of every man you meet."

"Not every man." She faced the pick-up. "I'll wait inside.

Cordero followed. "I'll be finished in a few minutes. You going to be okay?" As she nodded, he opened the door for her. "I promise I won't be long." He grabbed the formula from the pick-up bed.

*****
As they drove to the ranch, Cordero asked, "You're giving me the silent lawyer again. What's wrong?"

She gulped. "You shot that snake."

"It was the quickest way I knew to get you out of harm's way. He was ready to strike."

"What would've happened if you missed?"

"I don't mean to brag, but I don't miss."

"Oh."

Silence continued the rest of the way home.

*****
Jorge greeted them as Cordero parked the pick-up. "Sorry, Dad, it took longer than I expected. Ali decided to tangle with a rattler."

His dad grinned. "I'm sure it was traumatic."

"I had to shoot it. It was ready to strike. I guess she's not used to guns." Jorge nodded, as Cordero walked toward the house. "You have everything ready?"

"Just need to load the horses."

"Go head. I'll only be a minute. I need to get another bandana."

Jorge teased, "You sure go through them lately."

Inside, Cordero scanned the area. Rosa nodded toward Alexandra's bedroom. "She went to her room."

"Not surprised." He filled her in on the snake incident before going to his room. "I need to hurry. Dad's waiting." Moments later Cordero returned. "Mom, is the laundry done? I'm out of bandanas."

"Not yet. I got busy yesterday with the ladies. Borrow one of your dad's."

Cordero was ready to leave, when Rosa nodded toward Alexandra's room.

He headed to her room and knocked. As he tied a bandana around his neck, he said, "Ali, I'm leaving and should be back in time for dinner."

Alexandra walked toward the door and touched his bandana. "I see you're prepared for the next damsel in distress."

He took her hand. "You're the only lady I plan on rescuing. You'll be here, so I doubt any crisis will arise." He brushed his finger along her cheek. "I need to get going. Dad's loading the horses."

"Please be safe."

"I will. Promise."

*****
Almost noon, Alexandra walked into the kitchen. Rosa glanced up from working a crossword puzzle. "Cord told me about the rattler. How are you doing?"

"Better. How common are rattle snakes?"

"Not common, but it happens." She took a sip of coffee. "It's cold." She dumped it in the sink. "I was thinking since the guys liked the French dinner so much, why don't you teach me how to cook something French?"

Alexandra thought for a moment. "Okay, but only if you teach me how to prepare Mexican meals."

Rosa smiled. "Deal. We'll do French tonight and Mexican next week. We'll make it a weekly dinner. After being out on the range all day, the guys will be hungry."

"So we'll need a stick to the ribs dinner." After Rosa nodded, Alexandra nodded. "I have it; Coq au vin. It's translated 'rooster in wine', but I think the guys will like it. We'll serve it with crusty bread. It has plenty of veggies. I'll make a list of things we'll need."

"While you do that, I'll throw lunch together."

"Sounds good." After making a list, she said, "For dessert we'll have apple tarte Tatin with vanilla ice cream."

Rosa set a plate of sandwiches and a salad in front of Alexandra. "Cord will like that."

"I'll plan extra dessert so he can have some later."

"You've figured out my son."

Alexandra laughed. "It wasn't difficult."

*****
After the ladies returned from shopping, Rosa continued laundry and then Alexandra helped her prepare the Coq au vin and the apples for the tarte.

When the dryer's timer blared, Rosa sighed. "Darn! I wanted to finish."

Alexandra headed toward the laundry room. "I got it."

"It's Cord's bedding. Can you make his bed? He usually takes care of it, but he's been busy."

"I'm sure helping me has messed up his schedule. I don't mind."

"I don't hear him complaining. I think he enjoys it."

Alexandra carried the laundry basket into Cordero's bedroom, set it on a chair, and glanced around. I know he lives in a house closer to the main part of the ranch.

As she shook out the fitted sheet, she noticed trophies and awards. In high school, Cord was a football and rodeo star. He also excelled at marksmanship. No wonder he wasn't worried about shooting that rattler.

Alexandra adjusted the sheet, but jumped when she heard, "What are you doing in my room?"

She cowered and glanced toward Cordero. "I offered to help because Rosa wanted to finish what she was doing."

Cordero walked to her and lifted her chin so their eye's met. "I was teasing. I'm not worried about snooping. I have nothing to hide." He touched her arm. "I'd never hurt you. Why are you afraid?"

When she avoided eye contact, he said, "I'll help. Hand me that corner."

As she tossed part of the top sheet to him, she accidently hit the ceiling fan. "No! I'm sorry."

He chuckled. "No problem. I hit it almost nightly." He adjusted a pillow. "Our moms have been friends since kindergarten. They were college roommates. They visit each other at least one week every month. I'm sure Mom changed your diapers and your mom changed mine. I doubt there are any secrets between our families."

"Because Mom visited here one month and your mom came to New York City the next month, we've never met."

"Tonia probably spanked me at least once, and Mom swatted your behind."

"I'm pretty sure she didn't."

Cordero's eyebrows rose. "Why?"

"I've never been spanked."

"Not from your dad?" After she shook her head, he asked, "Or Grandpa?"

"Never."

"That explains a lot. I need to fix that right now."

Cordero jogged around to the other side of the bed, while Alexandra climbed across the bed. "No!"

Cordero chuckled and continued chasing.

Alexandra tripped over a corner of the rug and fell onto the bed. Cordero leaned over her and pinned her arms above her head. As they studied each other's eyes, their lips crept closer.

Rosa called, "Ali, your mom is on Zoom. Want to talk with her?"

"I'm on my way." She straightened her hair and walked from the room.

*****
Cordero stood and ran his hand through his short hair. "I'll be right down." He released a deep breath. What was I thinking? I wasn't.







~~~~~~~
I maybe not be able to post tomorrow or answer the review right away. It's Mom's birthday party and all of my boys and their families will be here. I fly back to Texas on Monday, so it may not be post until Tuesday. I'll do what I can.
~~~~~~~


CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz Cord runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black Ali is a New York City corporate lawyer, is junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim One of the ranch foreman's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Sam Bailey Alpine's Sheriff.

Dale and Dorothy Ranchers who own the mare and the twin foals



Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of a Mojave Rattle Snake. I'll probably post this novel on Saturday's until I complete Football. Thank you for the review and encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.