General Flash Fiction posted February 18, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Self discovery through creativity. (148 words)

Life Journey With Her Paintbrush

by LisaMay



Hayley’s paintbrush had a mind of its own. It seemed she had no control over it. Somedays she was sure it was a messy teenage boy. He splattered paint in all directions, with vivid colours surging across the canvas in a mad rush to be let loose and explore possibilities.

In her brush with expressionism, Hayley could sense him laughing at her awkward attempts to control his energy, to tame his exuberance and keep within the lines.

Some time later, he became her lover. That chaotic tearaway had matured, learning skill and patience. He was firm in her hand as she guided him where she wanted him to go. The paintbrush had become her partner, soothing Hayley with gentler strokes and harmonious tones.

He had taught her so much about herself as an artist and satisfied her need for a creative outlet. Now they would grow old together.


 



Personification contest entry


Definition:
A 'tearaway' is informal English for 'a person who behaves in a wild or reckless manner'.
Illustration credit:
Paintbrush works by Los Angeles-based surrealist Alexandra Dillon.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.