Romance Fiction posted February 12, 2022 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cord shows a hint of jealousy.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 5

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cord give his heart to Ali? If he does, will she accept it? Will Ali discover if she's the girl next door?
Cordero and Alexandra met 6 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

As he unbuckled his holster, he studied the couch. "What are you doing out here?" He glanced at his watch. "It's after two."

Her eyes met his. "Sleeping."

He pointed toward the hallway. "Your room's that way."

Avoiding eye contact, Alexandra said, "I...ah...Samson wanted me to sleep out here with him."

Cordero took her hand. "I'll escort you to your room. I bet Samson will follow." After he opened the door, he added, "I appreciate you being worried." He turned to leave. "Before I forget; Mom and Dad always attend church. Tell Mom, I'll try to make it but won't promise. You can go with them, if you want."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 5

Monday morning, Alexandra entered the kitchen about the same time as Rosa. Rosa glanced up. "Good morning. Jorge and Cord will be in shortly they're at the barn."

"Yesterday I was surprised at how small and close your church congregation is."

"That's one of the good things about small town living. The bad part is everybody knows everybody's business." She smiled. "I'm sure the town's planning you and Cord's wedding as we speak."

"But we're only friends. We're not dating."

Cordero walked in. "Who's not dating? What's the latest gossip?"

Alexandra's cheeks displayed a slight pink. "Your mom said the town's planning our wedding."

He put his arms around her and did a small dance. "I'm sure they are."

Alexandra halted. "But we're not dating."

"We did sit beside each other in church, and you did look very pretty."

"You're not helping the situation."

"I learned a long time ago not to let the town gossip get to me. It'll die down when they find someone else to gossip about."

Cordero glanced at his mom. "How long 'till breakfast?" After Rosa answered, he continued, "Good. I'm going to the Wilson ranch and vaccinate some cows. Dale called early this morning and said something's up with his mare. She may be going into early labor. I'll stop there first." He glanced at Alexandra. "What are your plans for the day?"

"I was thinking about asking if I could get a ride to town. I'd like to get my fingernails taken care of. My acrylic nails don't work here. Also, I'd like to go to the library and learn some area history."

"You could go in with me, but I might not be back for hours. It depends on the mare."

Rosa poured each person a cup of coffee. "Why don't you take my SUV? It's laundry day and some ladies from church are coming by. We're planning our next fundraiser. I won't need it."

Cordero chuckled. "Since you're a city gal, you do know how to drive, don't you?"

"I do. I just don't drive very often."

As Rosa set breakfast on the table, Jorge walked in. "Great. I'm just in time." As he passed the tortillas to his son, he said, "There's no reason for the helicopter to have been flying over. You're probably right about them checking our herd. I'm not sure what to do about it. I hate having the men guard the herds. That would mean more hours. They're already working too long."

Alexandra tilted her head. "Is there any way you could use surveillance cameras or something like that? Maybe hook them up to a trip wire somehow?"

Jorge studied Alexandra as he sipped his coffee. "You might be onto to something. Today I'll do some research."

Cordero nodded. "Where the herd's located it'd be difficult, but we could move them. Tomorrow, I'll scout out some areas." He took a long drink of coffee. "I need to get on the road. I should be home by dinner."

Rosa added, "Unless that mare holds you hostage."

Kissing his mom's cheek, he said, "She just might do that." He glanced at Alexandra. "Have fun."

"Thank you."

*****
Around noon, Alexandra sat at a table in the diner and had just placed her order when a tall handsome gentleman stood beside her table. "Is this chair taken?"

She glanced up. "No, Sir. You can move the chair to another table."

He offered his hand. "I'm Pat Rogers. I saw you in church yesterday. You're Tonia's daughter and staying with the Ortiz's."

"You seem to know more about me than I do you."

He grinned. "It's a small town."

"So I've heard."

The waitress brought Alexandra's BLT and salad. "Is there anything else I can get for you, Ma'am?"

"No, thank you. Everything looks good."

Pat said, "I'll be sitting with the lady. Could you please bring me today's special?"

"Sure Pat. I'll be right back."

"See Judy knows me. She'll vouch for me. I'm here almost every day."

"I'm sure she would."

"I hear you're from New York City. I understand why you're cautious."

As Judy brought his food, Pat said, "Please explain to the lady that I'm just a hometown boy."

"Pat's a born and bred Alpineian. I think his parents were also born here."

"They were. Thanks, Judy." His eyes met Alexandra's. "So now I'm not a stranger, right?"

"All I'm sure of is you're not a stranger to Alpine, but you're still a stranger to me." Alexandra turned her head when she heard a familiar voice. She waved her hand.

Cordero noticed and nodded.

Alexandra touched a vacant chair next to her. "Cord, please join us."

He walked over. "I see you already have company." He nodded. "Hello, Pat. How you doing?"

"Not bad. How about yourself?"

"Busy. I'm headed for the Wilson Ranch. I have some cattle waiting for me." He glanced toward Alexandra but avoided eye contact. "I'll see you back at the ranch."

"Okay, bye Cord." She took a bite of her salad. I wonder what's bothering him.

*****
When Alexandra arrived at the ranch, she saw Cordero's truck in its usual place and rushed inside. She scanned the living room and then the kitchen.

Rosa glanced up from chopping vegetables. "Looking for someone?"

"I saw Cord's truck. Is he around?"

"He's at the pond, fishing. He does that when something's bothering him. I heard you had lunch with Pat."

"Not really. I had lunch with myself. He invited himself. I saw Cord and invited him to join me, but he didn't. I don't understand why."

"Pat and Cord were rivals in school; starting with grades, then sports, and ended with girls. You name it, and they were in competition."

Alexandra tilted her head. "Are you saying Cord's jealous because Pat was at the table?"

"I'm not saying anything, just filling you in on history. Make your own assumption."

"I need to talk to him. Can I go to the pond?" She glanced toward the door. "Where is it?"

"Go to the barn then follow the path. I'll send Klaus and Otto with you."

Rosa stepped out the door and called to the dogs. They came running, and she pointed. "Take Ali to Cord." She faced Alexandra. "They'll make sure you don't get lost."

Klaus walked on Alexandra's right and Otto on the left.

Samson followed behind.

*****
Arriving at the pond, Alexandra watched Cordero. What should I say?

Without looking over his shoulder, Cordero said, "I hope you weren't trying to sneak up. I heard you since you left the house and your perfume confirmed it. Stealth, you ain't." He glanced at his watch. "It's not dinner time, or Mom would've called. What do you want?"

"Can I sit by you?"

"Sure." He picked up a pole. "Want to..." He set it down. "Never mind. You've probably never fished a day in your life. Why you here?"

"You're right. I don't know how to fish." She exhaled. "I didn't invite Pat to sit with me. Matter-of-fact, I told him not to. He wouldn't listen. I did invite you. Why didn't you join me?" She paused. "What's wrong?"

His eyebrows rose. "So you wanted me to sit with you hoping to get rid of Pat?"

"That's not what I said. I wanted you to join me because I enjoy your company. If Pat felt the need to leave, so be it."

He nodded. "Okay."

She placed her hand on his arm. "Cord, what's going on? I'm sorry you're upset. I don't know what I did."

He glanced at her, and noticed she dabbed her eyes. He untied his bandana. "Here."

"I guess I need to add bandanas to my wardrobe."

He grinned. "Please don't. I need the opportunity to be a nice guy." He studied the pond. "You didn't do anything wrong. It's me. Pat and I have history, probably since elementary school."

Your mom said you guys were rivals in about every possible area."

"We were. I hate to admit it. I know we're not dating or anything, but I got a little jealous seeing you with him."

"You have nothing to be jealous about."

His eyes met hers. "Let's be real. You're a big fancy lawyer from New York City. Pat's a rich bank owner. The ladies swoon over him, so he must be handsome. He's born and bred American. I'm a Chicano ranch worker."

"Do you really feel that way?" When he went back to studying the pond, she stood, moved in front of him, and slipped on moss covered rocks.

Cordero jumped up and grabbed her. "You're an accident waiting to happen. Sit and don't move."

After sitting, she said, "I guess my attempt to make a dramatic point fell a little short." She swallowed. "What I wanted to say was, whether Pat has a lot of money or a prestigious job doesn't impress me. I know plenty of men who have more money and more important jobs." She stood to leave. "Do you really think so little of me that you believe I'm concerned about a person's heritage?"

He reached up and took her hand. "Sit before you land in the pond."

Alexandra sat and grabbed a fishing pole. "I'll learn to fish."

Cordero cocked his head. "If you hold the pole like that, you'll get a hook in your finger." He chuckled. "You're a trip but made your point."

"I have more to say."

"Go ahead."

"I think I'll stop while I'm ahead."

"Good idea." Cordero reeled in his line. "Can I get back to fishing?" He stood and yelled, "Samson, you're scaring the fish." He shook his head. "He knows he's not supposed to swim when I'm trying to fish."

Alexandra stood. "I think it's time I leave and take him with me."

He glanced at Klaus and Otto lying off to the side. "Why can't he behave like you guys?"

They tilted their heads and studied him.

"You don't know either, do you?" Cordero noticed Alexandra starting to leave. "Ali, get back here."

She stopped and turned. "I have a feeling I've caused enough problems for one day."

Cordero stood, grabbed the poles, and tackle box. "Let's see how Jewel's doing and maybe we can fit in a riding lesson."

"Serious?"

He put his free hand on the small of her back. "Yes."

*****
As they got to the house, Rosa stood on the front porch. "Good. I was getting ready to call you. Dinner will be ready in about twenty minutes."

Cordero nodded. "I'll put my poles up, check on Jewel, and then be in. Is Dad here yet?"

"He's been in the den all day. He has a few ideas about cameras." Rosa went inside.

Cordero continued on to the barn, and Alexandra hurried to the corral. Jewel came to her and put her head over the fence.

"You ready to be petted?"

As she started to pet her muzzle, Cordero stood beside her. "Just remember, be cautious. She's calmed some, but still wild."

After a few minutes, they turned their heads when they heard the front door.

Alexandra smiled. "I think dinner's ready. Jewel, I can come out later."

"After dinner, we'll take an evening ride, if you want."

"I'd like that."

Together they went inside. During dinner, Cordero asked, "Mom, did your Ladies' Society come up with any ideas for the church fundraiser?"

"I'm glad you asked. Since the 'auction for a dinner with Alpine's most eligible bachelors' was such a big hit when we needed money for band uniforms, we decided to do it again."

Cordero hung his head. "You signed me up, didn't you?"

Rosa's eyes twinkled. "I'm proud to say you were the first bachelor on our list."

"Mom, why'd you do that?"

"Because I love you and know you want to help the church get new kitchen appliances. You're a huge fan of our church dinners."

Alexandra attempted to hide her grin. "I'm sure you'll make a lot of money."

His eyes met hers. "Don't encourage her."

Rosa smiled. "Cord, it's for a good cause."

All heads turned as the doorbell sounded. Jorge stood. "I wonder who that could be."

After answering, Jorge said, "Hello, Pat. Just a minute, I'll get her." He returned to the dining room. "Ali, it's for you."

She went to the door. "Good evening, Pat. I'm surprised to see you."

"You didn't give me your phone number. So, I decided to drop by. I know its late notice, but I was wondering if you'd have dinner with me Friday evening?"

Alexandra glanced toward the kitchen. "I'm sorry but I already have plans. I've been asked to go dancing."

He hesitated. "I see. I'm sure a city girl like yourself is used to a glamorous night life. Why don't I pick you up the following Friday and we'll spend the weekend in Houston? I'm sure we'll find some things you'd like to do."

Before Alexandra could answer, Rosa walked up. "Pat, the church women's society is doing a bachelor auction as a fundraiser for new kitchen appliances. I'll add your name to the bachelor list. I'm sure dinner with you'll bring in a lot of money."

He reached in his back pocket. "I'd rather make a donation. How much would you like?"

She reached over and touched his hand. "What fun's that? An auction will be fun and some lucky lady probably can't wait to have you as dinner partner."

Pat yanked away his hand. "How many bachelors do you have signed up?"

"Four. We'd like to get at least six more. Can I count on you?"

His eyes met Alexandra's. "Are you bidding on a bachelor?"

"If I'm still here. I'm not sure of the date or how long I'm staying."

Cordero called, "Ali, ready to go riding?"

She glanced in his direction. "Of course." She turned toward the kitchen. "Excuse me."

As she left, she heard, "Sign me up." His tires kicked rocks as he drove away.

*****
Cordero held Dolly and assisted Alexandra up. As he mounted Chip, he said, "You know you're free to do whatever you want, don't you?"

"I'm doing exactly that." After he nodded, she added, "Your mom touched Pat's hand while talking, and he yanked it away. I'm not sure why."

"Really? Why do you think?"

She leaned over and hugged Dolly's neck. "Because she's Mexican/American?"

"Now you understand how deep the rivalery goes."

They rode in silence, before Alexandra said, "I forgot to mention...,"

"Our date to go dancing Friday evening?" interrupted Cordero. When pink crept over her cheeks, he grinned. "I overheard. I'll pick you up after dinner or would you like to go to dinner first?" As she shrugged, he continued, "We'll go to dinner, then dancing. How's that?" She smiled, and he added, "It's a date."

~~~~~~~
Since I was last at Mom's the area got two new towers. She now has Internet. I'm trying to sneak in posting before my son and his family arrive. There is Internet, but very poor Internet. It comes and goes as I'm typing. LOL
~~~~~~~


CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz Cord runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black Ali is a New York City corporate lawyer, is junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim One of the ranch foreman's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Sam Bailey Alpine's Sheriff.



Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of a West Texas fishing pond.. I'll probably post this novel on Saturday's until I complete Football. Thank you for the review and encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.