Romance Fiction posted January 29, 2022 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cord takes Ali to a horse auction.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 3b

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cord give his heart to Ali? If he does, will she accept it? Will Ali discover if she's the girl next door?
Cordero and Alexandra met 4 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Cordero chuckled. "Yes, it's a real thing. We have some bulls that have great bloodlines and are really good at impregnating cows. When it's time to sell the offspring, we get top dollar. Bulls are coming up missing."

"Could it be wild animals?"

"There's no evidence of that. Dad rode out to the site to see if there are any tire marks or animal tracks. So far we have nothing." Cordero took her hand. "Promise me when we go riding again, you won't leave. You really scared me."

"You mean if we go riding again?"

"No, when we go riding again."

"I promise."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 3b

During dinner, Jorge took Rosa's hand. "When was the last time you and I went on a date?"

"If riding on the range causes me to get asked out, you'd better do it more often, old man," teased Rosa.

Cordero chuckled. "Dad, just ask."

"I was thinking about going to the horse auction."

"That's not the type of date I had in mind."

"But I heard about this little filly. I wanted to look at her. She's a little over a year old but hasn't been around humans."

Rosa's glance switched from Cordero to Alexandra. "Why don't you kids come? Since Cordero would be the one working with her, I'm sure he'd want to check her out."

Alexandra shook her head. "It's your date. You said you haven't been out for a while. You don't need us tagging along."

Jorge grinned. "We'll go in separate vehicles so if you two want to go elsewhere later you can." He glanced at his son. "Well, ask her."

"Would you like to go to a horse auction?"

"With you?"

Cordero scanned the area. "I don't see anybody else asking."

"Sounds like fun. What should I wear?"

Chuckling, Cordero said, "What you have on is fine."

"But I smell like horses."

"What do you think horse auctions smell like?" asked Cordero.

Rosa playfully slapped his arm. "Stop." She faced Alexandra. "Ignore him."

*****
It wasn't long before Rosa and Jorge left.

Cordero stood in the hallway and petted Samson. "Think she's about ready?"

Moments later, as Alexandra came from her room, Cordero took a deep breath. Damn!

"Do I look all right? I wasn't sure what to wear."

"You look fine." He swallowed and inhaled her perfume. She's hot! He opened the door. "Ready?"

"I think so." Alexandra paused, grabbed some money from her purse, and put it in a pocket. "I doubt I'll need my purse. I'll be right back."

When she returned, he said, "You don't need any cash. I can afford to take you out."

"I know. Mom taught me never go anywhere without being able to find my own way home."

"Good advice. Ready?"

"Let's do this." Alexandra paused. "I'm forgetting something."

"Come on." He put his hand in the small of her back and led her to his pick-up.

After Cordero shut her door, Jim came up to him. "Did you look at her? Who thought blue jeans and T-shirts could look that good? You'll be defending her honor all night." As Cordero nodded, Jim walked back to the barn chuckling.

*****
After walking around the stalls, Alexandra asked, "Where's your parents?"

Cordero pointed. "Over there talking with some friends."

She watched them for a few moments. "They're so happy." Under her breath she added, "I hope I can find that someday."

"You will."

"I didn't mean to say it out loud."

"I know." Cord motioned to a free area. "This way." He rested his arms on a corral and stared. "This is the little filly Dad mentioned. She's a pretty little thing."

Jorge and Rosa came up behind them. Jorge tapped Cordero's shoulder. "I want you to meet somebody."

Cordero took Alexandra's hand to lead her over, but she slipped it away. "You go. I'll wait here."

He tilted his head. "Sure?" After she nodded, he said, "I won't be long."

As Alexandra watched the horse, a man came up. "Hi, I'm Luke. I don't think I caught your name."

"I haven't told you my name."

He moved closer. "How about we change that?"

"I don't know you."

"I just introduced myself. I'm Luke." He moved closer and took her hand. "Let's go over here..."

She jerked away her hand. "I'm not going anywhere with you. You need to leave."

Cordero walked up. "The lady's not interested." He put his arm around Alexandra. After Luke walked away, Cordero asked, "Are you okay?" She shook her head as he removed his arm. "I'm sorry it happened."

Silence continued until Alexandra released a deep breath and faced the filly. "I like her. Are you going to buy her? How much does she cost?"

"Since she was in the field most of her life and needs to get used to humans no more than five thousand dollars."

"That seems like a lot."

He studied her a few moments. "She's worth it."

"Can I pet her?"

Cordero pointed. "See how her ears are laid back?" After Alexandra nodded, he continued, "She doesn't trust us. She's giving us a warning. It's going to take a lot of work for her to get used to me before I can begin any training."

"How do you do that?"

"Spend time with her. Just talk to her."

Alexandra's eyes met his. "Like you did with me?"

"In a way, but I have no intentions of doing any training with you." He chuckled. "Other than teaching you to ride."

"That's good to know."

"Come on, let's get something to drink." He checked his watch. "The bidding will start in about a half-an-hour."

As they finished their drinks, the sheriff walked up and offered his hand. "Cord, I heard you've had some trouble out your way."

Accepting the hand, Cordero nodded. "Sam, I'm not sure how you heard, but two of our prized bulls are missing. We haven't seen any evidence of wild animals but can't figure out how somebody's getting in without leaving tracks. There's no way they could've wandered off. The fence is too secure."

Cordero grinned. "I haven't heard of anybody new in this area," he hugged Alexandra's shoulders, "except this one, and I'm pretty sure she doesn't have any use for prized bulls in New York City."

Sam offered his hand. "Sam Bailey. You must be Alexandra Black. I've heard about you from your mom, Tonia." He shook his head. "Yep, I'm pretty sure a fancy lawyer doesn't have any need for prize bulls."

He pointed toward Luke. "That guy and his two friends are new in town. Old man Hamilton died, maybe two months ago. Anyway, his family hired these three as ranch hands. I don't get a warm feeling from them. If I were you, I'd keep an eye out."

"Will do. Thanks for the advice. I'll pass it on to Dad." Cordero removed his cowboy hat, brushed some imaginary dust off as he watched the sheriff walk away.

Before long Rosa and Jorge walked up, and Jorge pointed toward the bleachers. "Ready to join the fun?"

Cordero glanced at Alexandra. After she nodded, he cupped her elbow and followed his parents. As they walked, he filled Jorge in on what Sam had said.

After they sat, Jorge asked, "How much is too much for that filly?"

"Not sure. I didn't get my hands on her. She's got fire in her eyes. She'll take a lot of work."

Jorge scratched his chin. "I'd say no more than four thousand dollars."

Cordero nodded. "I agree. Training her won't be easy." Cordero paused. "Do you have any information on her bloodline? If I can't train her, she could give us some good foals."

"Not really. Her mom's owner died about the time she was born. Nobody took care of the ranch so she grew up in the pasture. Her mom's supposed to be an American Paint. Her dad..." Jorge shook his head. "Could be anybody, even a wild horse." He chuckled. "As far as we know it could be Chip."

Alexandra tilted her head. "Really?"

"Dad's teasing." Cordero grinned.

The arena became quiet as the auctioneer spoke.

*****
About an hour-and-a-half later, the auction finished. The filly was the next to last horse auctioned. Jorge bought her for two thousand five hundred dollars.

Cordero adjusted his cowboy hat. "We either got a great deal or everybody knew something we didn't."

Jorge stood. "I thought she'd go higher. Let's pay and make arrangements to bring her home first thing tomorrow."

Waiting for Alexandra to stand, Cordero stepped down two steps. "The line's not bad. It shouldn't take long."

Alexandra glanced toward the filly. "Go ahead. I think I'll have a conversation with your new horse. Maybe she'll tell me her name."

His jaw set. "Are you sure? What if that guy returns?"

"I'm sure he got the message. I'll be fine." Alexandra pointed. "By the time you get back, I'll have her name."

Chuckling, Cordero said, "It shouldn't take long."

Alexandra watched him walk away. Those jeans sure fit. She exhaled. What am I thinking? I'm rebounding. Besides he's your mom's best friend's son. Why are the good guys off-limits?

She leaned up against the fence. "Hello, I'm Ali. My friends just bought you. I think you'll like them." She quieted. "I understand you've had a hard life. I think your life just got a lot better."

The horse turned and stared at her.

"I wish I had a carrot. Once you're home, I'll give you plenty. I'd like to know your name."

"I told you they call me Luke."

Alexandra turned when she heard the voice. "And I told you I'm not interested."

He stepped closer and grabbed her arm. "Once we get acquainted, I'm sure you'll change your mind."

The filly neighed loudly and kicked the fence."

As Cordero ran up, Alexandra pulled her arm hard enough to free herself, but fell to the ground and grabbed her arm.

Cordero stood between her and Luke. His eyes met Luke's. "The lady said she's not interested."

"What are you going to do about it? I'm tired of you interfering."

Cordero tossed his cowboy hat aside.

Luke tossed his. "That was a mistake."

Cordero stepped closer.

Luke pulled a gun.

Alexandra screamed, "Cord!"

Luke warned, "It's not going to end well." Straightening his back, he silenced.

Jorge stood behind him with a gun aimed between his shoulder blades. "Lay the gun on the ground." His voice; calm and quiet. When Luke didn't respond, Jorge cocked it.

Hearing the click, Luke bent and set the weapon on the ground. "We were just having a little fun."

Sam walked up. "It didn't look like fun to me. In these parts if you pull a gun you intend to use it. It looked like you intended to shoot my friend."

"He started it. He threw down his hat."

Cordero scanned the area. "Sam, he threatened my date. If you don't need me right now, I need to find her."

"I didn't threaten anybody. I was just having a little fun."

Sam addressed Cordero, "We'll talk later. Find you're gal. I'm sure she's scared."

*****
As Cordero scanned the area, he grabbed his hat and shook off the dust. Where'd she go? He noticed a grove of trees.

Half walking and half running, Cordero headed that direction. He exhaled a deep breath when he saw a female figure. It's has to be her. He got closer and inhaled. Jasmine. He heard crying and called, "Ali?"

She ran to him and threw her arms around him. "You're alive."

Cordero held tightly. "He wasn't going to shoot me, there were too many witnesses."

She stepped back. "Don't tease about this." Drying her tears, she asked, "What's wrong with me?"

He untied his bandanna and handed it to her. "For your tears. There's nothing wrong with you." He paused. "I guess I don't understand the question."

"Why do I attract horrible men?" She blew her nose. "Why can't I attract nice men?"

"I'm betting you attract all men." When she started to object, he held up his hand. "Let me finish. The good guys are probably humble and afraid you're too special for anybody like them. The others are cocky enough they believe every woman wants them."

"You think so?" After he nodded, she continued, "Maybe." She studied his bandanna. "I messed it up."

"It's okay."

"Why do you wear one? Why didn't you have a gun? You're a Texan. Everybody here has guns."

Cordero chuckled. "The bandanna first; I wear in case the wind blows up sand or dust. I raise it over my mouth and nose." He touched his right hip. "As for the gun, I didn't think I'd need one at a horse auction. I only wear it when I think there's a threat." He teased, "I guess when you're around I'd better make sure I have it." Jim warned me, but I didn't listen.

Her eyes threatened to tear up.

Touching her arm, he said, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that."

"But you're probably right. I don't want to cause trouble. Maybe I'd better go back to New York."

His eyes met hers. "It's your choice, but I hope you don't."

Sam, Jorge, and Rosa joined them.

Rosa hugged Alexandra. "Honey, are you all right?"

When she nodded, Cordero added, "She's unharmed, but scared." He touched her arm. "It wouldn't hurt to put some ice on that." He turned. "I'll get some."

Jorge watched Cordero walk away. "Did we interrupt something?"

*****
When Cordero and Alexandra, arrived home, Rosa said, "I thought you two would've stopped at the ice cream shop before coming home."

Alexandra petted Samson and then went to her room.

Cordero watched her. "She's thinking about going home." He went to the den.

Thank you youtube for a horse auction






CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz Cord runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black Ali is a New York City corporate lawyer, is junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim One of the ranch foreman's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.




Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of an American Paint horse, much like Jewel. I'll probably post this novel on Saturday's until I complete Football. It's posted on Sunday. Chapter 3 was 4000 words, so I broke it into two smaller posts. I learned from my mistake with Football. LOL Thank you for the review and encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.