General Fiction posted January 27, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Enemy lines?

A few Angels Down

by John Ciarmello





"I'm hit, Willy! Two rounds inside the flight deck, left leg shot up pretty bad!"

"Roger Peaty. What's your heading?"

"Last heading, zero- three- five degrees southeast!"

"Roger! Any ground visuals?"

"Negative on the visuals."

"Roger, I see you now. Right behind you Peaty. You have smoke and flames. You need to eject!"

"Negative, seat boosters are shot up."

"Roger! You still have altitude Peaty! Chart new heading, two-two- zero degrees northwest!"

"Engine just quit. I've had it, Willy! I'm gonna have to ditch! Damn it! There's no place to put her down, Willy!"

"Stay up, Peaty! You can't ditch in enemy territory, man! There's an open field at two- two- zero degrees. Twelve kilometers northwest. American soil."

"No- can -do, Willy. Altitude, seven-zero- two. Dropping fast!"

"Roger. I have eyes on you!"

"Roger that Willy, how do I look?"

"You're clear to ditch! You're burning bad, Peaty. You need to ditch now! Over."
"Roger that! Altimeter reading seven hundred feet and dropping. Six Hundred, Five Hundred."

"Pull that nose up Peaty!"

"Didn't copy! Altitude seventy-five feet... What the hell was that, Willy?"

"Tree top, Peaty! You sheared the landing gear. You're coming down hard!"

"Roger. I'm down. She's taking it all to her belly. Crap, leg feels like it's being jackhammered!"

"I have eyes on you Peaty! It looks like you brought a few angels down with you!"

"Repeat?"

"I don't know how, but the flames are out. You're still smoking like you peed out a six pack on Daddies campfire though! You need to get clear of that bucket! How's the leg?"

"Roger. Good to hear on the flames. Leg's pretty shot up. I'm looking at bone, Willy!"

"Roger that. Crap Peaty! You have enemy boots on the ground at three o'clock!"

"Roger. I see them, Willy."

"Keep your head, soldier!"

" Negative! I'm taking them out, Willy! I still have machine guns! They're looking down my barrels."

"Negative! Stand down Peaty. As soon as I'm in ear shot of Ground Control, I'll give them your settings."

"Roger! Hey Willy?"

"Go ahead Peaty."

"That crack in your voice just then. It wasn't meant for me, was it?"

"Hell no!"

"Roger. Hey, bright side, pow get taken care of pretty well. I'll get this leg fixed."

"Roger that Peaty."

"Hey Willy? Tell the wife I love her, okay? - tell her to make sure my son knows me."

"I'll tell her! When we get you stateside, you'll owe me a beer though."

"Roger that -"

"Boys?"

"Oh crap, Willy! Enemy is moving in fast. Wish me luck!"

"Boys?"

"Roger that! We both may need some luck, Peaty!"


"Yeah, roger that Willy. I'm getting a snarly transmission over my radio! Sounds like a shrieking hyena on this end!"

"Peter and William! I'm coming in. Your homework better be finished!"

"Enemy is outside the barracks door! Abort and scramble, Peaty!"
"Roger that, Willy! Out!"











Dialogue Only Writing Contest contest entry


Two pilots behind enemy lines? Only the ending will reveal what sort of twisted wreckage this may be. Read on my friends-read on.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. John Ciarmello All rights reserved.
John Ciarmello has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.