General Fiction posted January 19, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Someone Else contest entry.

Jane Awakens to a New Jane

by Chris Davies

Someone Else Contest Winner 

Jane Caulfield awoke knowing she had too much on her agenda for the day. She showered, then removed her best navy suit from the closet. It was her power suit, and she'd need it today. Her fingers roamed over the various blouses, hovering above a floral pattern. "No, too feminine," she told herself, and chose a plain white silk.

She dressed, careful not to run her stockings, and slipped her feet into sensible black pumps. Adding a string of pearls at her neck, she turned to the mirror on the back of the door. She smoothed her jacket and skirt and turned to the side to admire her slim figure. "Yes, that's perfect."

She had a cabinet meeting at nine. She wasn't happy with how her staff had managed the latest overseas crisis. They needed to sort this out or heads would roll. With the elections just around the corner, they couldn't afford any more mistakes.

She sat and looked about the room. It needed an update. Too stark for her tastes. She made a mental note to contact a designer, someone who had a better understanding of color. She loved color. Her stomach grumbled. There was no time for breakfast. She'd grab something when she went down to the office.

Jane looked at her wrist. Where was her driver? He should have been here by now. She squirmed in her chair. There was so much to do. She didn't have time to wait. Her stomach growled again. If he didn't get here soon, she'd have to eat and that would make her late to the cabinet meeting. Her breathing accelerated, and a sheen broke out on her forehead.

Calm. "You have to stay calm." She closed her eyes and grasped her hands in her lap.

A quick rap on the door and it swung open.

"Oh, Miss Jane. Whatever are you up to?" The woman dressed in white had a kind and coaxing voice. "I've brought your breakfast and your meds."

Jane frowned. "You're going to make me late for my meetings."

"They'll wait for you. Besides, you can't go anywhere without clothes. Let's get your gown back on and tuck you in."

"I don't want to."

The woman pressed a buzzer beside the bed. "Assistance. Room 713. Stat."



Writing Prompt
You (or your character) wakes up and are someone different.

Someone Else
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Chris Davies All rights reserved.
Chris Davies has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.