Mystery and Crime Fiction posted January 10, 2022 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Garth Goes To Town

A chapter in the book Vanished

Vanished - Chap 7

by Begin Again








A beautiful bikini-clad woman with a tray balancing in one hand stood over Tango as he lounged in his beach chair. Her smile was warm and inviting. "Your pina colada with extra fruit. Would you like anything else, sir?"
 
Tango inhaled sharply. He'd shared a few evenings alone with the charming woman. Without question, he desired something else, but duty called. "Thank you." He smiled, took the drink from her hand, and whispered, "Sorry, it's my boss." In his next breath, he was laughing into the phone. "Your timing is impeccable, my friend."
 
Garth chuckled, "I am assuming your rest and relaxation led you to the beaches."
 
"Jamaica, to be exact. Not sure about the rest part, but Poppa and I have been improving our tans, watching the exquisite scenery. Couldn't ask for a better view."
 
"Tango, you should have paid more attention in class. It's not wise to refer to women as scenery."
 
They certainly are in my eyes." Tango sat up and let the air expel from his lungs. "And now, I assume, you are about to destroy any thoughts of remaining on this beach."
 
"Very astute. I'm sorry, but JR needs a destination, and the jet will be in the air."
 
"What's up? Didn't you arrive there this morning? And you're stirring up trouble?"
 
"Someone else put the pot on to boil, but Samantha has been—"
 
"Samantha, the Savannah Samantha?" Tango rolled his eyes.
 
"The one and only. She was in the jewelry store—"
 
Tango instantly latched on to the words jewelry store. "So you're going to do it. It took you long enough."
 
Garth chuckled, "Let's see what Allie says about it. Anyhow, as I was saying, I met Mrs. Sandra Pepper about thirty minutes, so I assume she's undercover. She was cool as a cucumber. She didn't even skip a beat when Franklin introduced us."
 
"That girl travels faster than you, which I thought was impossible. However, Allie gives you a run for your money, too. Do you know what she's working on?"
 
"Diego Ortiz phoned and asked for a sit-down, at my convenience, of course. Walking through town, I've seen a lot of unfamiliar faces. We wiped out a big drug operation; I'd like to know it hasn't worked its way back into the valley. Liz is having a big shindig tonight. Contact JR, and he can have you back here. I'd like to have you around when I pop the question."
 
"I'll go interrupt Poppa's tête-à-tête with his favorite beach bunny, and we'll see you tonight."
 
Thanks, Tango. Tell Poppa it's work time. Have a safe trip."
 
"No problem, boss. See you tonight."

*********************************
 
 
The aroma of strong coffee drifted past Garth's nose, and he inhaled, breathing it into his lungs. Doty's Coffee Shop was only a few feet away, and the outdoor café was popping with customers. Waitresses dressed in hot pink capris pants, white tank tops, and light pink aprons scurried in every direction.
 
Memories of meeting Allie for the first time poured into his thoughts, and he laughed out loud.
 
He'd seen her in the courtroom earlier that morning at Cassidy Rotello's murder trial. From beneath the brim of his Stetson, he'd studied her, knowing full well she was doing the same. When the trial recessed, he'd crossed the street for a coffee. Allie had been distracted and backed right into him. The second her spitfire emerald green eyes stared at him, he couldn't resist the temptation to torment her.
 
"I'm new in town. I don't know the rules, but your turn signals aren't working." His drop-dead smile would melt a block of ice in sixty seconds.
 
Butterflies fluttered in Allie's stomach as she blushed. She was drowning in his playful eyes, but being Allie, she resisted. "Turn signals? Maybe Texas girls require blinking lights, but California prefers their women to be soft and shapely."
 
He'd let his eyes drift down across her breasts and back to those fiery eyes. "My apologies, Miss—"
 
He remembered the sparks flying as his eyes perused her luscious body. He recognized her battle behind the fire. He imagined she couldn't decide to slap him or lock her lips on his smile. She finally introduced herself as Alyssa Shelton, an Investigative Journalist. As he touched her hand, he felt like she'd electrocuted him. Unwilling to release her, he'd answered, Jeremy Dalton, Texas womanizer." He was undercover at the time.
 
The coffee shop was busy that day, much like today, so in the end, they shared a table and continued to torment each other. Their meeting led to the two of them proving Cassidy's innocence and breaking up a drug ring. And, of course, falling in love.
 

As Garth reminisced, he heard someone call his name. "Senor Garth?"
 
As he spun around, he came face to face with the waitress who'd served him and Allie their coffee that fateful day. She still wore the hot pink bow in her brown ponytail, but she'd lost the gum she smacked all the time. Garth noticed the long sleeves covering the burns on her arms. He flashed a warm grin and pulled her into his arms, "Ginny, what a surprise."
 
The day the church was on fire, Ginny hadn't hesitated. She'd tossed her apron aside and raced to help the civilians, getting herself burned in the process.
 
Ginny returned Garth's hug. "I could say the same, Senor Garth. I didn't know you were back in town."
 
"Just arrived this morning. How are things going for you?"
 
"I am still working part-time because my mom can use the money. Thanks to you and the college fund, I am going to school for my nursing degree four days a week."
 
"Good news. I am thrilled to hear it, but I didn't do anything, Ginny."

"You are too modest, sir. The committee told me a cowboy paid the tuition for the first year, and I could earn a scholarship if I studied hard. And I do."
 
Garth loved the girl's enthusiasm, and he was happy he'd chosen right. "I am sure of it, Ginny. I've got a meeting to get to, so could I ask for a large coffee to go?"
 
"Right away, sir." She rushed to get his coffee while Garth strolled memory lane a few moments longer.
 
"Your coffee, Senor Garth." He took it from her hand and handed her a twenty. "Oh no! It is on the house."
 
"Thank you, but you put the money in your pocket. For school, unless you have a nice young boy helping you."
 
Ginny blushed. "No time for boys."
 
"Oh, maybe you can help me with one last thing. I see many unfamiliar faces in town. I met a well-to-do woman; I think Sandra—Sandra Peppers was her name."
 
"Oh, yes, she's a lovely lady. She stops for coffee now and then. I think she is living on the old Caldwell ranch. I don't see her in town much, but I know Sofia Sanchez is living there, too."

Garth didn't hide his shock well. "Sofia Sanchez? I thought she was in prison?"
 
"Early release, I think they call it. She is doing poorly, my mother says."
 
So, Sam lived at Mason's place with the mother of another criminal he'd put away. Something was brewing, but what?
 
"Nice seeing you, Ginny. Have a good day, and keep those studies up."
 
"I will, sir, not to worry."

************************************
 
 
Garth continued his stroll through the outdoor marketplace, stopping to browse and then move on. An occasional man or woman smiled and waved, but he soon realized how many new faces there were.
 
Hayden's police department loomed at the end of the block. The sidewalks were sizzling beneath his feet. As Garth opened the door, he felt a blast of cool air and sighed. It was refreshing.
 
The officer looked up from the front desk, and a huge grin spread across his face. "Senor Woodman. The Sheriff said you were in town, but we didn't expect your company so soon. Is there something wrong already?"
 
"No, No. Just paying a friendly visit. You can let Diego know there's a suspicious guy in the building, and he's headed his way." They both laughed, and Garth walked toward the sheriff's office, waving to a few faces he remembered from the last visit.
 
 
Sheriff Diego Ortiz was standing in his office doorway, smiling as Garth approached. His greeting rumbled across the cubicles as he clasped the FBI agent's hand in his. "Good to see you, my friend. Come in."
 
Garth returned Diego's firm handshake and settled in the chair across the desk.
 
"So how's it going, my friend? It seems like business is good in town. I walked through the marketplace; it's grown in size."
 
The sheriff reached for the pot of coffee and cups from the credenza behind him. "Coffee?"
 
"No, thank you. I stopped at the coffee shop."
   
The two men shared small talk about Savannah and the case before the sheriff leaned back in his chair. "I was wondering if you were familiar with the name Madison Braxton?"
 
"I hear a lot of names, Diego, but that one's not ringing any bells. I'll ask the team, though. What's so special about him?"
 
I'm not sure there is anything worthwhile, but he's throwing a lot of money around with the locals. He's living in Caldwell's old place. Not that it's cause for alarm, but Sofia is living out there, too. She's working for some woman who rented the carriage house."
 
"Hm, has he been on your radar for anything?"
 
"A few of his ranch hands have spent the night, and he bailed them out the next morning. Guess that's not too unusual. Tempers fly when you mix alcohol and men."
 
"Anything else I need to know? I saw a lot of fresh faces."
 
"Yeah, it's a small town, but the valley is growing. I heard there's a new dance club where the Casino used to be. We've got a new priest. Father Tobias. He seems nice enough in church, but rumors are he can get mighty feisty when he's off the pulpit. People don't take to his way of speaking down to them."
 
"Maybe he's trying to scare them after what Jon brought into the church."
 
"Could be. You've probably met the new guy at Sweet Haven. I think his name is Barrett. No alarms there that I've heard. He sticks to the ranch most of the time."
 
"I haven't met him yet, but I am sure I will. It's been nice catching up, Diego, but I've got another stop before I head to the ranch."
 
"One last thought for you. Someone has dug up an old legend, and it's moving like wildfire through the town. It's a legend about a woman walking the vineyards. Some say she's a lost murderer, and others say she's searching for someone, like the man in a white hat." Diego laughed and pointed at Garth's Stetson. "Is she looking for you, partner?"
 
"I don't deal with ghosts, but I'll let you know if I see one." Garth's thoughts were spinning in every direction as he left the sheriff's office.

 



Recognized


Garth Woodman, FBI Agent and Allie's love interest
Alyssa Shelton, Investigative Journalist and Liz's best friend
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley, widow, owner of Sweet Haven and twin sister to Faith
Faith Cranston-Newton, recovering cancer patient and mother to Annie
Annie Cranston-Newton, Faith's precocious young daughter
Sebastian, a St. Bernard and Annie's sidekick
Mary Hunter, Liz and Faith's deceased mother
Hank and Emmy Armato, retired detectives and current Private Investigators
Tango and Poppa, Garth's top FBI Agents
Sheriff Diego Ortiz, Napa Valley's law enforcement
Cassidy Rotello, rescued victim of a solved drug crime and friend
Michael Lansing, neighbor to Sweet Haven Winery (Liz's home)
Darryl Pennington, Long time Estate Forman at Sweet Haven Estates
Miguel Sanchez, the former vineyard supervisor, currently residing in jail
Mason Caldwell, recently deceased drug and crime boss in Napa Valley
Father Tobias, a priest, recently assigned to Hayden's notorious church
Barrett O'Brien, an eager newly hired employee at Sweet Haven Estates
MJ Cichella, Writer and Director and honored guest for Napa Valley's first film festival
Sandra Pepper, a well-to-do woman new in town, aka Samantha FBI
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.