Mystery and Crime Fiction posted January 8, 2022 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Revealed Secrets

A chapter in the book Vanished

Vanished - Chap 5

by Begin Again




Background
"Vanished" is the continuing saga of friends whose lives are bound together by love, mystery, crime, and legends about a Lady in White.

 

Garth had spent the last hour inside a quaint, unassuming store called "The Little Blue Box." Those in the know, which were almost all of Garth's friends when it came to jewelry, had shared a well-known secret. The store was California's version of Tiffany's in New York. For weeks, he'd studied the newest and latest engagement ring styles via email and text, but none of them felt like Allie. She was special.
 
He'd stared at case after case of exquisite diamonds in gold or diamond settings. Every ring was beautiful, but nothing said Allie. As he'd been about to give up, a blue box in the back corner of a case caught his eye.
 
"Can I see that one?" Garth leaned over the case while the clerk replaced the other diamonds before showing him the one he'd chosen.
 
The clerk smiled. "She must be an exceptional lady, Mr. Woodman. The cut, the carat weight, and the style of this ring are a cut above those we've been looking at this afternoon. The combination of rose gold and white gold sets off the clarity of the two-carat marquis." He laid the ring in Garth's hand for him to examine it. "It's pricey but well worth the cost."
 
"The price isn't my primary concern. I want to know that she'll feel special every time she looks at it."
 
"Oh, any woman will find this ring priceless, I assure you."
 
A finely dressed woman entered the shop, and the clerk immediately addressed her. "Good morning, Mrs. Pepper. Please give me a moment, and I will be with you."
 
The woman smiled. "I'm in no rush, Franklin. I want to drop off my bracelet. I broke the clasp playing tennis."
 
Garth admired the woman. "Take care of her bracelet—Franklin. I've already taken up so much of your time." Garth flashed a smile in her direction as he spoke. "Beauty before age, as the saying goes."
 
"How kind of you. Are you shopping for something special?"
 
"Yes. Yes, I am. Did the fact I'm sweating bullets give you a clue?" Garth wiped his brow.
 
She laughed. Her voice had a melodic sound. "You looked a little nervous. The lady is lucky to have found someone who is truly concerned that he picks out the perfect ring, the one that matches her personality."
 
"May I ask your opinion?" She nodded, and Garth turned to Franklin. "Would you show Mrs. Pepper what I've chosen?"

"Please, it's Sandra. And I would love to see the ring." She stretched out her hand, and Franklin placed Garth's choice in her hand. "Oh, it's beyond beautiful."
 
"Do you think she'll like it?" Garth was eager about the approval of his choice.
 
"She'd be crazy if she didn't. The rose gold portrays a woman with a sense of elegance and style. She's romantic and very lovable. The white gold combines the sun and the moon's energies to create a powerful spitfire. When she sets her mind to something, it takes another powerful source to contain her."
 
Sandra studied the diamond, holding it up to the light. "Quite the diamond. It speaks of a personality larger than life and someone who loves glamorous things and spectacular people." She chuckled. "Excuse my outspokenness, Cowboy, but she's certainly getting the glamor." Sandra let her eyes roam up and down Garth's muscular build and smiled.
 
A faint flush crept up Garth's neck and across his face. He turned his head back to the clerk.
 
"Relax." Sandra extended her hand to Garth. "I, too, have a man who chose a similar ring, and it's worked out better than I could ever have imagined." The ring on her hand was rose and white gold with a chain of diamonds in the center. "I hope the two of you are as happy as we are."
 
"Thank you very much." He shook her hand. Then turned to the clerk. "Franklin, I'll come back later to settle up. Got a meeting with Sheriff Ortiz, besides we don't want to keep Sandra waiting any longer." He tipped his Stetson and left, feeling pretty satisfied.
 
  *************

Allie parked the Jeep in a secluded spot in the cluster of trees near the pond. For a moment, a rush of memories surrounding the plane crash and Liz's loss flooded her senses. Her chest tightened as she thought of the struggle they'd endured.
 
Allie leaned her head against the headrest and sighed. "I don't know if I could have remained living here if my husband had died mysteriously. There are so many unanswered questions."
 
Cassidy gazed at the pond. "It's so beautiful, and she has a thriving business, family, and friends, not to mention, she'd just found her sister. I'm sure it all factored into her decision. Some of us prefer to settle down in one spot. You're different. I'm sure you must be part gypsy." They both laughed.
 
"Yeah, I love to travel the world and see new things, but that doesn't mean I don't want to settle down and have a family. I enjoy my career."
 
"But what about Garth? How does he work into that picture? You've been lucky so far to work side by side, but how long can that continue; after all, you aren't FBI?"
 
"For as long as we want, I suppose. We both know I don't need the money, and Liz's door is permanently open, allowing me to come and go."

"I don't think you've thought family life completely through, Allie. You need roots and a firm foundation. You can't raise children in a house with a swinging door." Cassidy sighed, and her hands rubbed her mid-section. She glanced out the passenger window, trying to stop the tears that threatened to spill down her face.
 
Allie saw the grimace on Cassidy's face and reached across to her. "You sure you don't want a doctor?"
 
"No, thanks, and visiting Dr. Copeland wouldn't be a wise decision right now."
 
"Okay, Cassidy, let's stop talking about me and focus on why we are here. What's going on? I want all the details from start to finish."
 
"Promise what I tell you remains between you and me, okay?
 
"Cassidy, if you're in trouble, I can't make that promise. But I promise to do my best to honor your privacy."
 
"I suppose since I know you won't stop snooping until I tell you something." Cassidy stared out the window and heaved a long-drawn-out sigh. "I don't even know where to begin?"
 
"The beginning would be a good start, or who did this to you?" Allie tried to lift Cassidy's shirt and received a slap from Cassidy. "Girlfriend, I've got your back. Just like when we were in prison. I can't help if you don't tell me what's going on."
 
Tears glistened in Cassidy's eyes as she began her story. "When I finally got out of that wheelchair, you were in Savannah. Faith was recovering from her mom's death, and Liz ran the winery. It was boring spending all day alone. The new dance club opened in Mason's old casino. That's where I met Barrett. I didn't even know he'd been working at the winery because I didn't leave the house much."
 
'I know you like Barrett, but if he did this, Cassidy—" Allie reached for Cassidy's hand. "Nobody should put their hands on you like that."
 
"He didn't do it, Allie. He's not that type of man."
 
"So who did? You can't possibly want this guy to get away with hurting you or anyone else."
 
"One night, I met up with some old friends at the dance club, and we were having a blast. One girl had to work the next day, so they left early. I'd just ordered a drink, so I told them goodbye, and I'd be leaving soon. I should have left with them, but that's hindsight."
 
"What happened? Did someone attack you when you left?"
 
"No, it wasn't like that. The bartender brought me a drink, and I told him it wasn't what I'd ordered. He pointed to one good-looking cowboy at the end of the bar and said the drink was on him. I smiled and mouthed a thank you in his direction."
 
"Cassidy, he was trying to pick you up. A single girl in a bar alone. He'd probably seen the girls leave. Do you know how dangerous that is?"
 
"I thought I was safe, Allie. I never intended to go anywhere with anyone. The drink was strong, and I placed it back on the bar. The next thing I remember is these smokey hazel eyes looking directly into mine. He was pressing the rim of the glass to my lips. I kept sipping until the glass was empty. He lifted me from the barstool and swept me onto the dance floor. We were laughing, he was kissing me, and it felt good. Fireworks were exploding inside my body. I didn't know if it was the drink, the twirling or what, but I knew something was wrong, but I couldn't stop."
 
"He drugged you? Oh my God, Cassidy, why didn't you call Liz or Darryl? Someone would have come and gotten you. Or what about Barrett? He was already working at the farm, right?"
 
"I don't know, Allie. It all happened so fast. I must have blacked out, and then I woke up naked in a hotel room. The room was trashed, my clothes were everywhere, and I was alone."
 
"Did you tell anyone? Or call the hotel desk?"
 
Cassidy shook her head. "I was too ashamed. Allie, I don't even know his name."
 
"What about the marks? Did the creep beat you?" Allie's stomach churned, not knowing what to expect, but knowing it wasn't good.
 
"No, it didn't happen that night. I got these a few days ago."
 
"A few days ago! How? When? Did you go back to that club?"
 
"Of course not. I was terrified, especially when—"
 
"What? Cassidy, don't make me drag this out of you. Why were you afraid? And what does it have to do with the marks? Did you tell Barrett, and he went crazy?"
 
Cassidy buried her face in her hands, and the floodgates opened.


 



Recognized


Garth Woodman, FBI Agent and Allie's love interest
Alyssa Shelton, Investigative Journalist and Liz's best friend
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley, widow, owner of Sweet Haven and twin sister to Faith
Faith Cranston-Newton, recovering cancer patient and mother to Annie
Annie Cranston-Newton, Faith's precocious young daughter
Sebastian, a St. Bernard and Annie's sidekick
Mary Hunter, Liz and Faith's deceased mother
Hank and Emmy Armato, retired detectives and current Private Investigators
Tango and Poppa, Garth's top FBI Agents
Sheriff Diego Ortiz, Napa Valley's law enforcement
Cassidy Rotello, rescued victim of a solved drug crime and friend
Michael Lansing, neighbor to Sweet Haven Winery (Liz's home)
Darryl Pennington, Long time Estate Forman at Sweet Haven Estates
Miguel Sanchez, the former vineyard supervisor, currently residing in jail
Mason Caldwell, recently deceased drug and crime boss in Napa Valley
Father Tobias, a priest, recently assigned to Hayden's notorious church
Barrett O'Brien, an eager newly hired employee at Sweet Haven Estates
MJ Cichella, Writer and Director and honored guest for Napa Valley's first film festival
Sandra Pepper, a distinguished resident in Hayden
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.