Spiritual Non-Fiction posted January 8, 2022 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Forms of Zionism

A chapter in the book Sea Of Galilee

Sea Of Galilee-#9: Zionism-#1

by Brett Matthew West


Zionism began as a 19th Century movement in Central and Eastern Europe, mainly because of Haskalah (Jewish Enlightenment). Zionism has become an ideological and national movement for the reestablishment, development, and protection of a Jewish nation in Canaan, the Holy Land, Palestine, and Eretz (biblical) Israel.

One intent of Zionism is to negate the Jewish Diaspora; the dispersion of Jews around the world. The term "Jewish exiles" refers to those taken during the 8th Century BC. This removal was begun by Tiglath-Pileser III of Assyria in 733BC, and completed by Sargon II, who destroyed the Kingdom of Israel, in 722BC.

The term "Jewish exiles" also refers to those taken from the Kingdom of Judah in the 6th Century BC by the Babylonian Exiles of 597BC and 586BC, under Nebachadnezzar II. Mordecai the Jew, in the book of Esther, is the first biblical mention of the term "Jew".

The negation of the Diaspora is frequently used by Zionists to justify their denial of the feasibility of Jewish emancipation under the doctrine. Furthermore, Zionists support life under the Diaspora leads to Jewish discrimination, persecution, Jewish national decadence, assimilation, and antisemitism. Zionists claim the Jewish people have no future without a spiritual center in the Land of Israel. Since the State of Israel was formed in 1948, Zionists have primarily continued to advocate on Israel's behalf as well as address threats to the country's existence and security.

Various forms of Zionism have arisen over the years since Theodor Herzl founded the Modern Zionist Movement he envisioned in his 1896 pamphlet Der Judenstaat, a future independent Jewish state. Eight of these include:

-Political Zionism - Theodor Herzl and Max Nordau were the main supporters. Desired to establish a legal home for Jews in Palestine. Max Nordau saw Zionism as the fulfillment of individual rights and freedoms.

-Practical Zionism - Moshe Leib Lilienblum was the main supporter. Stated there was a need in practical terms for Jewish immigration to the Land of Israel and for them to settle that land.

-Synthetic Zionism - Chaim Weizman, Leo Matzhim, and Nahum Sokolow were the main supporters. Advocated a combination of Practical and Political Zionism.

-Cultural Zionism -Ahad Ha'am was the main supporter. Believed fulfillment of Jewish national revival achieved by a cultural center in Land of Israel. Wanted a Jewish spiritual center in Israel, and a Jewish state, not just a state of Jews.

-Labor Zionism - Nachman Syrkin and Moses Hess, one of the foremost Zionist thinkers, were main supporters. Desired to establish an agricultural society on the basis of moral equality. Hess was a strong supporter of labor unions, and the working class, settling the Land of Israel with a rural kibbutzim (agricultural community), a moshabim (cooperative community of individual farms), and a Jewish proletariat.

-Revisionist Zionism - Ze'ev Jabotinsky and Menachem Begin were the main supporters. Emphasized romantic elements of Jewish nationalism, and the historical heritage of Jews in the Land of Israel. Stressed economic liberalism. Wanted a communist society.

-Revolutionary - Avraham Stern was main supporter. Viewed Zionism as a revolutionary struggle to gather the Jews, revive the Hebrew language, and reestablish a Jewish kingdom in the Land of Israel.

-Religious - Yitzchak Yaacov Reiner was main supporter. Reiner founded Mizrachi (a religion that taught the Torah was the center of Zionism). Maintained Jewish nationality, and establishment of the State of Israel, to be religious duties derived from the Torah.

Other views on Zionism included:

-Leon Pinsher, who saw Zionism as equal rights under the law for all Jews.

-Martin Buber, who was known for the philosophy of dialogue, saw Zionism as the foundation of Jewish humanism.

-The Lovers of Zion were unified groups opposed to the anti-Jewish programs in Russia.

-In 1897, the first Zionist Congress formed. These congresses decide on the policies of the World Zionist Organization, as well as the Jewish Agency that fosters the immigration of Jews to the Land of Israel.

Next Time: Sea Of Galilee -#10: Zionism-#2




the ghost city, by supergold, selected to complement my posting.

So, thanks supergold, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my posting.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by supergold at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.