Supernatural Fiction posted December 25, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Two traditions share a day

And Christmas, too!

by Allezw2

"Hi, Dave."

His eyes closed, he was aware of the hissing oxygen and clicking machines helping him to breathe and continue living. His was the life that had seen his wife gone on before him; their children grown.

He was tired and knew it was time to go. He hated the tubes and needles that were keeping him alive despite his wishes. He had the right to end his life. His life expectancy and intact mental capacity made him qualified to request that alternative. He wanted it but couldn't have it.

"Mr. Ellers, you have to be able do it yourself, without any help," the chaplain/ethicist told him. He was stroke incapacitated and couldn't swallow.

Now Harold and Edith were here without the PP clothing or masks. It was a shock to see them.

"How are you here?"

Edith smiled. "We wanted to see you again. It's Shabbat. We brought your candles and holders."

"You're Christian!"

They smiled. "We remembered," Harold said. "Here's your kipot," and placed it on David's head.

"But, how are you here?"

"David, don't make a fuss," Edith said. "It's Shabbat and Christmas Eve, too. We all have something to celebrate."

They prayed after Edith lit the two candles. Afterward, they took his hands.

"Good Shabbas, David."

"Good Shabbas, my two dear friends, thank you."

Edith smiled. "Come, they're waiting."

The Fire alarms flashed in the halls and at the nurses' station. The first ones in the room could smell the smoke.

"Where's it coming from. Smells like a candle," the nurse said. "Oh my God, Mr. Ellers!"

All the monitors were in alarm mode. After a moment, "He's gone," the nurse said."

The attendant crossed herself. "So sad on Christmas eve."

"He's a Jew. It's his Sabbath. Even so, you're right. It is," as she called the doctor to verify the time of death.



~Supernatural Fiction ~ NOT HORROR writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
READ ALL RULES FIRST !!!!!
Write a SUPERNATURAL STORY ~ FICTION ~ NOT HORROR FICTION
No vulgar words, profanity, sexual terms, murder, or gory story, or ANY warning labels allowed
Minimum of 300 and maximum of 360 words
No writing, music, animation, on the ONE picture that's allowed
One color of font only



Life is ephemeral. Everyone is advised to prepare their finances and register an Advance Care Directive in the event you are unable to choose the level of medical assistance.
PREPARE FOR THE INEVITABLE!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Allezw2 All rights reserved.
Allezw2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.