Romance Fiction posted December 10, 2021 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Settling in, but sad thoughts come

A chapter in the book DARK NIGHT AND DARK DAY

Dark Night & Day, Chapter 3

by Alaskastory




Background
In winter Marjorie arrives in Alaska to escape getting married and begin new medical job. Meets unusual handsome man and makes friends
Marjorie's new friends at the restaurant had noticed she looked sleepy after her long flight. But now, after the pickup ride home with Roger, that changed. She sparked wide awake as her mind heard his masculine voice ring out. Like a joke he had accepted her as a no-date friend.

Pulling into pajamas before the bedroom mirror, her determined voice spouted out, "I may have problems to solve, but Roger, you are not one of them."

Anxiously, she gave attention to her computer screen and fingered the location of a car dealer. Noting numbers to call in the morning, she switched to a grocery list. That immediately brought back a yawn.

Settling into bed, her thoughts dwelled on her arrival in Fairbanks. The first day had been so different than expected. She met a handsome, overly friendly man named Roger Hendricks. She gained friends as he introduced her to Leo and Julie Granger, who told much about their lives. Yet she had learned nothing about him.

Just before sleep came, she murmured questions. "Julie and Leo are married. Is he? They have a lovely home near the Chena River. Does he have a home? Leo is a dog musher and Julie is an artist. What does Roger do?"

The next day, Marjorie concentrated steadily on solving housing problems. She managed to get a car, groceries, a few pots and pans, a TV, plus pretty pillows for the sofa. She ended an exhausting day with a call to her mother.

"My dear, sweet Margie, I remember our long-ago years at Eielson AFB. The month of January was dark. The sun was up only three or so hours a day. Dark and cold. Are you staying warm?"

"Apartment is cozy, and today I got a Subaru with a good heater. Drove it to stores before noon, right when the sun arrayed over snow-covered spruce and frost-covered birches. It was beautiful."

"I suppose. But to keep the car warm when parked, do you have to plug it in? I told Henry about how that has to be done on every car that's parked outside."

"Told Henry? Mom, you've been talking with Henry?" Marjorie sprang up and began pacing. Her voice raised in tension.

"He called. Had to know if you actually left. Losing you has him upset. Surely you know that Margie."

"Mom don't worry about Henry Wilburn. He's in an extended family. I didn't leave him helplessly alone."

"I know, but I wanted you to marry that doctor. He is such a smart, good-looking man. I'm sure he attracts other women who would love to marry him."

"Perhaps a dozen women, or all sorts of nurses!" Marjorie nearly shouted. "Sorry, Mom. I assure you I made the right decision and followed Jimmy's advice to come to Alaska."

"Your sweet brother. Your dad and I want to hear any news from him. I remember that base is way down the road from you."

"Fort Greeley is about a hundred miles. He promises a visit soon." Marjorie continued details about a call with her brother followed by briefly mentioning friends she met.

"Be careful meeting strangers," her mother warned.

After the call, Marjorie's mind fell on Henry. She had not given her mother the details about why she broke up with him. There was a big reason, yet she still had fond thoughts of him.

In a year of working at the same hospital with Dr. Henry Wilburn, she watched him grow to the top. He was brilliant, an exceptional doctor. She was attracted by his friendliness, genius ability to diagnose illnesses, and how gently he dealt with patients. Professionally she had admired him and loved him.

As she snuggled into bed, Henry's soft, gentle voice rang through her. "I want you to be my wife, bear my children."

Marjorie thought how right her mother was that women are attracted to him. But what she didn't know is that it was not just women. Her last sight of Henry was when she stopped by his place after a late evening hospital shift. As her key opened his front door, soft romantic music poured through.

A stunning sight hit her. Her long-time friend, Eddie Frank, well known as gay, had his arms held around Henry. They danced lovingly cuddled together.




Character List:
Marjorie Lange, doctor with Native Corp, in AK to avoid past boyfriend
Roger Hendricks, engineer at oil pipeline job, helps with ice sculptures
James Lange, her brother in Airforce at Ft. Greeley
Leo Granger, Dogsled racer and keeper of 40 dogs
Julie Granger, Ice sculpture artist
Maryann Lange, her mother and retired teacher
Kenneth Lange, her father and military retiree
Henry Wilburn, an ex-boyfriend
Eddie Frank, a long-time friend
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Alaskastory All rights reserved.
Alaskastory has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.