General Fiction posted November 30, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Everyone deserves Christmas

Mr. Greer's Christmas

by Tina Crute


Christmas Day in Roanoke arrived with beautiful snow but freezing temperatures. Everyone was in their houses, sipping hot chocolate, opening presents or admiring the snow. Everyone, but Mr. Greer. 

He was in his house, but he sat alone, no hot chocolate, no presents, not admiring the snow.
In fact, if you asked him, he would say the snow was not beautiful, but a nuisance. He would also say that money could buy lots of things that are far more beautiful.

 "Whew, it's cold," he muttered to himself. He rubbed his hands together, but still, the frail, chilled hands refused to get warm. That expression, "Cold hands, warm heart?" That did not apply to him, as no one ever accused
him of being warm-hearted. For 88 years, he had been absorbed with himself and no one else. 

And now where was he? Stuck in a run-down apartment, alone and freezing. "From the penthouse to the poorhouse," he mused. His thoughts, as usual, led him to no happy conclusion.

Lost in his thoughts, some edging on self-pity, some on regrets, he barely heard the knock on the door. Without thinking and in his usual style, he bellowed, "Go away!" That usually scared off anyone brave enough to bother him.

Silence.
Then, whoever was at the door started to knock again.

"Fine! You may as well come in since you're just going to annoy me otherwise! And just so you know, I'm not buying what you're selling!"

Again, silence, until the old front door creaked open. From his vantage point, he saw not one, but several visitors there. Laden with gifts, blankets, food and a Christmas tree, several teenagers stood in the foyer and faced him.

"Mr. Greer?" queried one girl.

"Yeah, that's me. I let you in; now tell me what you want. What is the meaning of all this?!"

The same girl spoke up. "Sir, we are from the youth group at Grace church and we just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas. I am Suzy. May we come in?"

For a rare moment, he had nothing to say; his thoughts were racing, however. "Do they know who I really am? What do they want from me?" 

Finally, he responded, "Well, shut the door already and do whatever you came to do."

The teens slowly walked in. They set right to work setting up the tree and putting gifts under it. They also put food in the refrigerator and cupboards. All the while, Mr. Greer sat staring at them with much confusion, wondering WHY anyone would do this for him. What was their angle?

As if Suzy had read his thoughts, she approached him and said, "We just wanted to make sure you had a Merry Christmas, Mr. Greer. Would you like this blanket?" Then, placing it over his lap, she told him, "My dad is coming over to check your furnace, but the blanket will have to do for now. I'll go warm up some food for you."

"Well, looks like I can't stop you so go ahead." He spoke gruffly, but was gradually softening toward these surprise visitors, plus he was very hungry. He hadn't eaten since yesterday morning. 

He suddenly realized that he was starting to feel warm again. He felt grateful for his surprise 'friends.' Yes, he could call them that, couldn't he? Maybe having friends wasn't so bad after all. And maybe, just maybe, he could actually learn to be a friend too. There must be powerful Christmas magic in the air, he thought. Either that or I am dreaming.

Either way, this would be the best Christmas he had ever had.









 



Christmas Story contest entry

Recognized


Everyone deserves a Christmas. We do not have to look far to find someone to help. Thanks for reading.
Thank you, avmurray for your beautiful artwork!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Tina Crute All rights reserved.
Tina Crute has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.