Romance Fiction posted November 28, 2021 Chapters:  ...61 62 -63- 64... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Melton Ivory continues to stalk Katherine.

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 34 part 2

by barbara.wilkey




Background
After Katherine's husband dies, she struggles raising her four sons by herself. Is Gabriel the father figure the boys never had and the husband she deserves?
Katherine and Gabriel have known each other for 42 days.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

After Jordan left, Bill and Paul walked in, as Bill asked, "What did Riley want?"

"I guess the entire school knows about the incident at the coffee shop this morning."

Bill teased, "Yep, and the parking lot kiss."

"I gave her a small kiss on the cheek."

Paul chuckled. "That's not what I heard."

Frowning, Gabriel growled, "That's exactly what it was. Did you two come in for a reason or just to aggravate me?"

Glancing toward the bus area, Bill reported, "I came to let you know the buses are here."

Pointing toward his office, Paul stated, "I wanted to remind you that I'd appreciate not having to deal with UIL representatives all week. I know this'll be your toughest game so far but try not to do anything too outlandish. Deal?"

Grinning, Gabriel stood. "I'll try, but won't make any promises." He started to walk out, but turned. "Will there be any issues with the peck I gave Kate?"

"Shouldn't be, but try not to make a habit of it."

"Good." He called through the locker room door, "Load up!"

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 34 part 2


As Angie stood next to the SUV, Katherine made sure Jeremy was fastened in the seat-belt. "Angie, after last week's fiasco, let's check and make sure we have everything. Jack, spare tire..."

"Does your spare have air?" interrupted Angie.

"Yes, Gabriel checked it." She grabbed the phone charger from her purse. "I bought this and there should be one in the glove-box." She held up the map. "Gabriel gave me this."

Angie checked her phone. "Weather report says possible rain. Do we have rain gear?"

"Let me check." Katherine opened the back tailgate. "I see rain ponchos, blankets, and umbrellas. Are we missing anything?"

"Don't think so." Angie climbed in the SUV and giggled. "Boys?"

Jeremy laughed. "I'm here, Silly."

Angie reached to the backseat and tapped his knee. "I'm teasing, Sweetheart."

Pointing to her purse, Katherine said, "I have my purse. How about you?"

She held up hers. "Let's do this."

As they drove, Angie touched Katherine's arm and said softly, "What's going on with this Melton Ivory guy?"

"Nothing. How'd you hear about it?"

"Today's incident's all over school, to include the passionate kiss you received in the parking lot."

Katherine shook her head. "Not good. Gabriel pecked my cheek, nothing more." She hesitated. "This guy, for some reason, wants a date and isn't taking no for an answer. He's brought flowers to school and pushed the issue. Gabriel sent him on his way. This morning he wouldn't let me leave the coffee shop. I guess one of the employees called Gabriel and he came to my rescue."

"How romantic. Think he got the message?" Angie thought a moment. "Was he there yesterday during your planning time?" After Katherine nodded, she continued, "I saw him walk in. He had a bouquet of roses, right?"

"I hope he got the message. Gabriel's lost patience with him. I've turned him down and told him I'm in a committed relationship. I don't know what else to do."

"So you're finally admitting you're in love with Gabe?"

Katherine smiled. "I am."

*****
Once Angie and Katherine were seated in Jaguar stadium, Katherine texted Gabriel. "Don't forget to text Bill."

"I just did. Gabriel just received his."

Katherine glanced up and returned his wave. She continued to watch as he studied the other team's warm up. When he took off his cap, hit it against his thigh, she whispered, "Good luck."

Angie also saw his reaction. "Bill said it'd be a tough game. By Gabe's response, I'd say he's right."

"Gabriel said it'll be the toughest team they'll face until they get to the playoffs." Katherine reached inside her purse and retrieved some cash. "Joshua, take the boys to the concession stand and get dinner." She faced Angie. "Do you want the same as last week?"

"I can get my own." When Katherine pushed her hand, holding money away, Angie sighed. "Okay, cheeseburger, chips, and diet soda. I'll get halftime snacks."

Katherine watched Gabriel lead the team into the locker room. Just before he entered, he glanced in her direction and gave a 'thumbs up.' She commented to Angie, "Gabriel just signaled. I guess he thinks they have this."

"Let's hope so."

*****
As play continued through the first quarter, the score remained 0-to-0. Neither team had achieved a first down. Both defenses performed well. Halfway through the second quarter, Jordan caught a pass and ran it for the first down of the game. They were unable to get another one.

Going into halftime the score remained 0-to-0.

Angie glanced behind her and noticed a man glaring at Katherine. She stood. "I need to walk around. I'll get snacks. Who wants popcorn? How many peanuts?" She counted. "Okay, three popcorns and two peanuts."

While she counted the snack order, she got a better look at the man. That's definitely Melton Ivory. He has no reason to be here. I'd better tell Bill. He'll know what to do.

Joshua stood. "Mrs. Brooks, do you want help?"

"Thank you, but I can get it. Just help your mom with your brothers." Once out of sight, she texted Bill and whispered, "Listening to Harold does have pit falls. Let's hope ten percent battery life is enough."

As she waited in line, she received a text back, 'Don't let her go anywhere by herself or tell her. Not telling Gabe until later. Will contact Paul. He'll be there soon. Don't leave the stadium until you get okay from Paul.' She looked up at the sky. "Thank you."

Just as she returned with the snacks, a heavy rain began. Quickly ponchos were put on and umbrellas up.

At the end of the third quarter the score remained 0-to-0. Now only the game became muddy as the players slid across the field. It was difficult to read the jerseys' numbers.

Katherine wiped a wet strand of hair from her face. "I thought I saw Mr. Edwards come this way. Any idea why?"

Angie glanced behind her. "Nope. I didn't see him. Maybe he wanted to get a better view of the game. I wonder what Gabe's going to try. It's getting late. You know he'll try something."

"I'm sure he will." Katherine shook a little. "I just got a chill. Wonder what that's about."

"Probably wet from the rain. I hope you're not coming down with something."

As the fourth quarter began, she studied Gabriel and then sent him a text, 'I love you.'

As the two minute warning sounded, the score remained, 0-to-0. The Bears had the ball and had successfully got it to the thirty yard line. Gabriel called a time out.

Katherine chewed her bottom lip. "What's he going to try, certainly not field goal? Even with our great placekicker it's too risky for high school. We need to get closer, plus it's wet. The ball might slip from his hands." She watched as the placekicker went onto the field. "No. Maybe he's going to try to fake and then run it in. That's risky too."

Angie covered her face. "I can't watch."

As the play continued, Katherine's eyes darted from the clock to the field. She watched the placekicker grab the ball and kick. She stood, watched the ball fly through the goalposts, and the referee raise both arms indicating it was good.

The score, 3-to-0. Bears ahead.

Katherine smiled as Gabriel faced her direction and give a 'thumbs up'. "It's not over yet, there's still time on the clock."

The Bears' defense held the team after the kick-off. They weren't able to gain any yardage and the clock ran out. Final score, 3-to-0.

After Katherine released a deep breath, she said, "Boys, let's load up."

Angie glanced at Paul, who hand motioned them to hurry. She said, "Come on, guys, let's go. Maybe we can avoid the traffic." She grabbed wet items.

Katherine and the boys headed toward the SUV. Angie slightly waited back, as Paul hurried to her and said, "Security's holding him about thirty minutes. You should have a pretty good head start. Gabe still knows nothing."

"That famous temper of his will rear its ugly head. Since meeting Katherine he's kept it under control. Katherine knows nothing either."


~~~~~~
I want to thank those of you who have expressed concern and have asked about my broken wrist. I'm continuing with rehab. My wrist is getting better every day. Still now as fast as I would like. I can now fold socks and sort of turn door knobs, if I'm careful and very slow. I don't go back to the doctor until January 4th.
~~~~~~

CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons. She teaches high school math and also coaches girls cross country.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Auto repair shop owner

Bill Brooks Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.

Harold Hudson Gabriel's dad and football announcer.

Sandy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Judy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Rhonda Morgan Teenage girl on cross country team, and victim of dating violence.

Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Rhonda's parents.

Kenny Clark Teenager - Rhonda's boyfriend

Grace Former friend of Gabriel and featured in porn magazine

Janette & Jackson Riley Katherine's in-laws

Dr. Martin Jordan's doctor

Troy Elder Lawyer and friend of Gabriel from his pro-football days

UIL The University Interscholastic League exists to provide educational extracurricular academic, athletic, and music contests. The UIL was created by The University of Texas at Austin in 1910 and has grown into the largest inter-school organization of its kind in the world.

Melton Ivory Lawyer and possible new suitor



Recognized

#12
November
2021


Thank you Google images for sharing a photo of field goal kick. I also want to thank everybody for the helpful reviews. Again, thank you for catching those errors. This novel is far from over. I have approximately 26 more posts. Katherine and Gabriel still have some life issues to navigate. This is truly the calm before the storm. This novel is not actually about football, but is part of the background. High football is a national pastime in Texas. This post is a little over 1200 words. Thank you for having patience.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.