General Fiction posted November 20, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Love, marriage, and ...

The extended family

by Wendy G

~ Family Story ~ Contest Winner 

Judy had married young, to the love of her life, the man of her dreams.

Their love was deep, rich and fulfilling, and she never regretted her choice. They agreed on most things – except for one "small" area.

Years passed. The children grew up, moved away. Judy volunteered at the local primary school, teaching Art. She was a gifted artist, and she loved the children.

She became known as Grandma Judy, the adopted grandma of all those without grandparents living nearby. When the annual Grandparents Day was held, Judy was followed by a large group of "adopted" grandchildren, all vying to hold her hands as they proudly showed their work. Her round smiling face was filled with love for each one – and the love was reciprocated. She and her husband often joked about their extended family!

After more than fifty years of happy marriage, the inevitable happened. Judy was alone.

At times she talked to her husband's empty chair, and the tears would flow, unseen. Loneliness was bitter. Days were long and empty. She looked forward to meeting with "her" grandchildren twice each week for their art lessons.

She reflected often on her happy marriage. Then one day she remembered the one way their thinking diverged.

He had never wanted pets. She had always wanted a dog.

She made an excited phone call to the Animal Welfare League … an interview would follow!

Yes – she assured them, she was indeed seventy-six, and no, she had never had a dog. Yes, she had always wanted one. No, she had no preferences. Except – the dog needed to be good with children, and needed to be good company for her. Yes, it needed to have the sort of personality where it could accompany her everywhere – for yes, she planned to take her dog to school!

In the meeting pen she was introduced to gentle, lovable Missy, whose owner had passed away. Judy loved her at first sight, her face glowing with happiness.

After initially seeming to be equally thrilled, Missy turned and lay down facing away from her. She had turned her back on Judy, and would not look at her! Judy's eyes filled with disappointed tears.

"Perhaps she doesn't like me", she thought. "Maybe I can't offer her what she needs." The director explained that perhaps Missy was afraid of losing Judy as well. Both were still grieving the loss of a loved one.

But Judy took Missy home. The bond was cemented immediately. Love abounded. She talked with Missy, not to an empty chair. Walks were delightful, pleasurable for both.

Taking Missy to school with her was accepted, and was wonderful for the children – Missy also offered and received love from all the "adopted" grandchildren. They read her their stories. Missy always listened attentively.

Grandparents' Day arrived – but Grandma Judy was nowhere to be seen. The children were very upset.

Then Missy arrived, trailing her lead, alone and distressed.

Alarmed, the teachers organised a search. Barking loudly, Missy led the way, back to where Grandma Judy was lying on the footpath near her home, having slipped on wet grass. Her foot was broken.

After surgery, Judy returned home to Missy. Turning to the empty chair, Judy smiled. "See what you missed out on? You would have loved Missy, and I bet you are proud of her right now! She's a heroine! And she's just like you – loving, loyal, and good company! Definitely another valued extension to our family!"
 

 


Writing Prompt
*Read All Rules*
Write a FICTIONAL story that involves a human family. The word length is 600 words or less. NO 'blood & guts" gory story, such as murder of people . Do NOT include time travel among characters, or 'Dear John' letters. Do NOT have any music that automatically plays when story begins. You may use 1 picture that has no words, animation, or music, one color font with one color background, dedication line (optional) which doesn't count in word length, and author notes that may include 1 video (may have vocal sound/music).

~ Family Story ~
Contest Winner

Recognized


Thank you for reading! The concept of family here is a flexible one - it includes the "adopted" children who formed a significant part of Judy's life, as well as the adoption of Missy. All were counted as family and were cherished.

Based on a composite of two true stories, with fictional elements added as well.

Approximately 580 words.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.