General Poetry posted December 8, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The steps to find the Child of light.

Pillar of Light

by papa55mike

The searing desert heat subsides with the setting sun, revealing the vast galaxy with its endless realms seemingly within reach. Suddenly, a pillar of light from a distant star extends from the heavens to touch the desert floor. The light beckons to me. Rising from the warm fire with my shepherd's staff in hand, I begin the long journey to find the light. To my amazement, angels suddenly fill the night sky, singing glory to God and peace to all men, for our Savior is born. After traveling for many miles while the angels sing of joy to all who believe, I'm overwhelmed.

Over the next dune is
Bethlehem, the city of David. That's where I find the pillars of light radiating on a tiny stable. A crowd is gathered around the entrance, watching a baby nursing in a mother's arms. Who is this family that lives in a stable? Is this our Savior that the angels proclaim? A babe just born into our evil, oppressed world. Curiously, I push through many gathered. My eyes must see this infant feeding there so pure and peaceful. The mother gently places the sleeping infant in the hay for His bed. I kneel before the manger to see our new King, born to a poor family. How will this innocent babe save the world? Will He lead our people to defeat the evil rulers? I think not. My heart begins to leap when the child suddenly stirs. His eyes open upon my face, and a smile appears. At this moment, I understand, His love fills my heart with the knowledge that I have seen the face of the Lord. 

grow, little one, grow
in wisdom, in strength, in deeds

save us from ourselves




Christmas Poetry contest entry

Recognized

#75
December
2021


I guess this is my version of a Haibun.

I wanted to write this story from the shepherd's point of view. They did live through the greatest night in history.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.