Romance Fiction posted November 14, 2021 Chapters:  ...59 60 -61- 62... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Melton Ivory pays Katherine another visit.

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 33 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
After Katherine's husband dies, she struggles raising her four sons by herself. Is Gabriel the father figure the boys never had and the husband she deserves?
Katherine and Gabriel have known each other for 41 days.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Pausing, she said, "I was wrong about that and about a lot of things." She wiped her eyes. "I'm honored a man as wonderful as you is interested in me."

He kissed her. "I'm not interested in you; I'm in love with you. I'm a jock and I know you despised them. Seeing another man at your door caused me to face that fear. I understand just as easily as you came into my life you could leave."

"Seven months ago, Friday, George died. Since then I've planned his funeral, sold the penthouse, figured out his estate, and bought this house." She moved her hands toward the house. "By myself I moved my family over 1,700 miles, and for the first time started working." She gulped. "Since I moved here, I've been humiliated by Mr. Frost, and my in-laws have filed for custody of my boys."

Taking his hands in hers, Katherine continued, "You're the best thing that's ever happened to me. After all of this is settled, I'll need time to breathe. I want you permanently in my life, but I need time."

Gabriel kissed her a slow lingering kiss. "As long as I know you love me, I'll give you as much time as you need."

"I do love you."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 33 part 1

Thursday, as Katherine dismissed the students from her fourth period class, the office called and said there was someone who wanted to speak with her.

When Katherine entered the office, there stood Melton Ivory. He held a boutique of roses. "Good afternoon. I hope you don't mind me showing up." He held out the flowers. "These are for you."

Katherine didn't accept them. "They're beautiful, but..."

"I needed to come by because I have dinner reservations tomorrow night..."

"I'm sorry but I'm busy," interrupted Katherine. "My son has a football game."

"I'll change them to Saturday evening."

Her eyes met his. "I don't think you understand. I can't accept the flowers and I can't accept a dinner invitation. I told you Sunday, I'm in an exclusive relationship." She faced the door. "I'm busy. I need to get back to my classroom."

Melton held her arm. "What night are you free?"

Katherine stared at his hand holding hers. "Sir, remove your hand and don't touch me again."

Mr. Edwards' office door opened and Gabriel stepped out. "The lady said leave her alone." He walked closer and put his hand at the small of her back. "Mrs. Riley, I'll escort you to your room." He glared at Ivory. "When I return, you'd better be gone."

In the hallway, Katherine said, "Thank you. He wouldn't listen."

"Paul and I heard." Gabriel grinned. "I hope you didn't mind me butting in. Paul suggested we call the police."

As they entered Katherine's room, she closed the door, reached up, and pecked his cheek. "I didn't mind. I've come to look forward to your pushiness."

Gabriel's eyes twinkled. "As much as I'd enjoy returning that kiss, we're at work. I'd better get back to my meeting. I'll see you after school."

*****
As Angie and Katherine waited for the girls to join them outside for practice, Gabriel walked up. "I didn't get a chance to ask earlier. How'd your doctor's appointment go this morning?"

"No problems."

Angie headed toward the locker room. "I'll check on the rest of the girls and see what's taking so long."

She watched Angie walk away. "Do you think Mr. Ivory got the message?"

"I hope so. Does he give you any issues at the coffee shop?"

"When I've picked up your coffee, he just said hi. I thought everything was settled. Him showing up surprised me."

Gabriel checked his vibrating phone. "I got to go. Kenny's giving Bill issues about homework. See you after practice."

After Gabriel left, Angie walked to Katherine. "When you going to tell him the doctor found a lump in your breast?"

"I won't unless I have something to tell. The doctor said it's probably benign. I have an ultrasound Monday. We'll know more then. We need to get practice started."

"I'm just saying Gabe won't like being kept in the dark."

*****
As Katherine set the dishes on the table, Gabriel and Jordan walked in. She smiled. "How'd practice go?"

Jordan plopped in his chair. "After this practice I'm positive the coaches are into torture." He faced Gabriel. "There's no way that was conditioning."

"You guys can take it easy during tomorrow's night's game."

Katherine patted Jordan's shoulder. "I heard the Mustangs will be hard to beat." She headed toward the kitchen.

"It'll be our toughest game, until we're in district play." Gabriel peeked in the kitchen. "Can I help?"

"No, we're ready. Jordan, please get your brothers."

Holding her chair, while she sat Gabriel said, "You mentioned earlier you're driving. Are you still?" After she nodded, he reached into his back pocket. "Here's the map to the stadium. It's about a mile west of the high school. It should take about an hour. I'm forgetting something." After thinking a moment, he said, "The time for the cross country meet is..." He checked his phone. "Ten-thirty. The bus leaves at eight o'clock."

"That's not too bad. I'll have the girls show up at seven o'clock."

"Good idea. I'll bring Jordan. What about the rest of the boys?"

"I haven't decided. I hate Mom driving that distance with them."

"Want me to stop by the house and get them?" He cocked his head. "I'd need to drive your SUV. Bill's going and..." He grinned. "Reggie. So that's seven people."

Katherine adjusted Reggie's bib and then hugged him, before she responded, "I didn't ask you to do all of that."

"I know. I'm offering. But it's up to you."

Jeremy cuddled beside Coach. "Please, Mom, please."

"I guess, but you're going to have to promise to behave."

Joshua scooped some vegetables onto his plate. "Mom, are you worried Coach can't handle us? That doesn't make sense, he's Coach."

Pink tinged her cheeks. "I guess I shouldn't have questioned it." Her eyes met Gabriel's. "Sorry."

He winked.

*****
After the dishes were finished and the boys were upstairs, Katherine took a set of keys from a hutch drawer and handed them to Gabriel. "SUV and house keys."

"This is a big step. Sure about this?"

"Yes. It makes sense. Last Friday you were here before us. Luckily Jordan had his key."

Gabriel held up the vehicle key. "Your spare?" After she nodded, he said, "Saturday, I'll stop by the dealership and get another one made. I need to change the subject a little. Bill mentioned Angie isn't running with him in the mornings. She's getting worn out and is now only running with you and the girls. Do you feel you need to cut back?"

"Going from car keys to running is more than a little change. But to answer your question, no. I need to run. It helps me handle stress, plus I'm finally making progress on those extra ten pounds from Jeremy."

Lightly squeezing her arm, he teased, "Where are those extra pounds?" As she laughed, he continued with her other arm. "Nope, not here either." He placed his hand on her flat stomach and removed it. "Sorry." He stood. "It's time for me to leave."

She stood beside him and placed her hands on her rear-end. "It's right here."

He leaned over, looked, and then grinned. "Doesn't look like it's there either." He glanced at the door. "I really do need to leave."

"I know."

As they stood at the door, Gabriel put his arms around her. "Good night." He leaned over and kissed her.

After the kiss, Katherine opened her eyes and sighed.

Gabriel asked, "Something wrong?"

"No everything's perfect. I could get used to this."

He kissed her again. "So could I. Good night." He walked out the door.


~~~~~~
I want to thank those of you who have expressed concern and have asked about my broken wrist. My appointment Wednesday went better than I anticipated. I am still doing rehab but not on my fingers this time. They are now moving, which helps with typing. My wrist doesn't want to bend, so I am doing rehab to make it bend. I don't go back to the doctor until January 4th.
~~~~~~

CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons. She teaches high school math and also coaches girls cross country.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Auto repair shop owner

Bill Brooks Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.

Harold Hudson Gabriel's dad and football announcer.

Sandy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Judy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Rhonda Morgan Teenage girl on cross country team, and victim of dating violence.

Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Rhonda's parents.

Kenny Clark Teenager - Rhonda's boyfriend

Grace Former friend of Gabriel and featured in porn magazine

Janette & Jackson Riley Katherine's in-laws

Dr. Martin Jordan's doctor

Troy Elder Lawyer and friend of Gabriel from his pro-football days

UIL The University Interscholastic League exists to provide educational extracurricular academic, athletic, and music contests. The UIL was created by The University of Texas at Austin in 1910 and has grown into the largest inter-school organization of its kind in the world.

Melton Ivory Lawyer and possible new suitor for Katherine



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized

#10
November
2021


Thank you Google images for sharing a photo of a boutique of roses. I also want to thank everybody for the helpful reviews. Last week
I had made so many mistakes it was embarrassing. I hope I won't have that problem this week. Again, thank you for catching those errors. This novel is far from over. Katherine and Gabriel still have some life issues to navigate. This is truly the calm before the storm. This novel is not actually about football, but is part of the background. High football is a national pastime in Texas. This post is a little over 1,00 words. Thank you for having patience.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.