Biographical Non-Fiction posted November 1, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a lot of fun

A Waterfall in North Carolina

by pome lover



 
North Carolina is a beautiful state, and in the Fall, especially, it is glorious with the vibrant colors of the leaves, truly a breath-taking place to take a leisurely drive. Or stay for a while.

When I was young, I used to go to camp in North Carolina, so, it was summertime that was most familiar to me. It was much later, as an adult that we drove through it in the Fall. I used to bring home Fall leaves to decorate around the Fall flowers on my dining room table. But I digress.

The place that I want to tell you about is one that we visited in the summer, on our way back from camp, to Georgia, when my family came to get me.

Although there are several well-known waterfalls in the state, and I’m sure the one where we stopped was one, my sister and I felt it was kind of “our find,” our special place.  This particular one, in the beautiful North Carolina mountains, is, I believe, near Ashville.  I have been there twice, once as a child, and again as a teen. So, of course, that was eons ago- and naturally, I use that as an excuse for not remembering the name of it.

I’m not sure this is the right picture. There were several waterfalls near Ashville, but out of all the pictures I looked at, this one seemed like what I remember.

Anyway, after a short walk through the crackling woods, we came to the spot. The falls weren’t roaring and sending up spray, it was rather a tranquil waterfall. We shed our shoes, stuck toes in the water and shivered. Ice-y! Then, midst gales of laughter, started down.

I do remember it was a rather rough ride, though I think there was some moss. Landing in the pool at the bottom was like landing in the Artic Ocean, but it was great fun. And we got used to it after a few runs, though lips were blue.

 I remember sliding down those rocks over and over until there was nothing left between them and our bottoms. Scratch two bathing suits. Time to stop. (Actually, past time.)

I believe the second time we went, there were several of us noisy teens. Being almost adults, and so very smart and mature, we thought we had the answer to the bathing suit problem. We tried  sliding on our towels, but they never seemed to stay under us, thus more bathing suits bit the dust. Drat!

I haven’t thought about that place in years, but I remember the waterfall was a gentle one. We slid with it instead of being pushed down it.  And besides being fun, it was a beautiful spot in a beautiful state, and it brings back fond memories. (And you’d think if I’m writing about a place that brings back fond memories, I’d remember the name of it.)  I wish.
 




Sense of Place Short Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a 400 to 700 word essay describing a place. This should be a descriptive short story, make sure you describe the place very well. This place you are describing can not be a place in your imagination, dreams, ext. It has to be a real place, preferably a place you know very well. You do not have to have been to this place, and this can be a made up story. Be creative and descriptive!


when I checked my post, I noticed that the next to last paragraph didn't line up properly on the left, but when I went back to edit, the original is perfectly lined up. So... sorry. I tried.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. pome lover All rights reserved.
pome lover has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.