Essay Non-Fiction posted October 27, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
My nickname was ...

Pollyanna

by Wendy G


This week I completed one year on FanStory – quite a fascinating and enriching experience in the midst of a couple of "different" years!

Two weeks ago we completed four months of lock down, restricted to essential shopping and exercise within five kilometres of home (about three miles). It was hard. I missed my children, and my six nearby grandchildren. The seventh baby I still have not seen as we are not yet permitted regional travel, and that family lives seven hours' drive away. I missed outings with friends, going to restaurants and cafes, and music concerts, and the occasional movie. I missed "normal" conversation. A common experience throughout the world. We all would write the same words!

However, there were many good and worthwhile experiences gained from being in lockdown. Firstly the relatively high level of cooperation has meant that since the start of the epidemic, Australia has had fewer than 1650 deaths (and 160,300 cases in total). I am glad we were able to keep the impact on human life relatively low. I am glad too that we place a high value on all human life, including that of the elderly and vulnerable. Such an epidemic forces us to confront our essential values.

There has been economic impact of course, but the government has introduced measures to support and reinvigorate businesses, and the whole community is working together to kick-start the economy, which overall is being revitalised. We all want to help each other get going again.

We have a new awareness of, and appreciation for, our front-line workers in all areas from medical staff, all essential services, to delivery people, truck-drivers, and all who have minimised hardship for us. They are now held in high esteem, and we offer our thanks. Our awareness of others has increased and our desire to alleviate hardship likewise. We have been sharing more. We have also been forced to re-evaluate our attitudes to people in lower-paid work – these are the ones we have relied upon.

I have noticed increased desire for a sense of neighbourhood community, and have met many more people while walking. Previously some dogs were rarely walked as people faced a long commute to and from work each day. People in lock-down had more time and energy to walk to, and exercise in, parks. Everybody was friendly and encouraging, each one trying to support others who may have been facing difficulty.  We are trying to be more aware of mental and emotional health. We are all actively trying to engage in more meaningful relationships with those in our vicinity on our journey through life.

In just my suburb activities were developed to encourage children in their walks. Last year it was a teddy bear hunt (counting bears hidden in windows, under or behind trees), this year we included "Where's Wally? (Waldo)". There were chalk art-works on driveways for passers-by to add a drawing or a message. We also had "Painted Rocks", with the post code on the back. Children would find these and then hide them again in different parks or playgrounds for other children to find. This was also an art activity for at home, as was the preparation of decorated spoons (wooden or plastic) for "Spoonville". The decorated spoons were "planted" in one of our parks and children would walk each day to see the new creations, all standing in rows. I admired the creativity and initiatives of many for imaginative play, costing little or nothing. In some ways these simple pleasures reminded me of my childhood days, when we made up our own games, and mostly played at home. 

With less traffic, people rode their bikes more freely; parents took children out with scooters and skateboards, and balls for park play. There was less "noise", and more awareness of nature. Birds could be heard, people pointed out goannas and kookaburras to each other, watched ducks and ibis and cranes in local lakes. Nature soothes and refreshes the spirit. We realised how far we had wandered from simple joys, and remembered man's need for greenery and space – a wholesome environment.

And the little ones? I sent them letters – by mail! Sometimes with balloons tucked inside, or other little gifts. A special treat for children who have never received a personal letter! And every small child loves to check the mail-box.

The youngest grandchildren made video calls with us, showing what they were doing, how the hens were, and all the other things in their lives. Yes, we frequently saw just the ceiling as they forgot about the phone! They coloured in pictures and their mother laminated them, and sent them to us for "placemats". We received almost daily photos of Charlotte proudly holding up evidence of her on-line school work in Kindergarten year. Ellie in Year 1 would phone me to watch and listen to her reading, for homework. The older boys taught us interactive computer games such as Jackbox. Hilarious, enormous fun. We remembered the value of the generations interacting.

We used Zoom to connect with relatives all around Australia, and even around the world. Before the pandemic none of us had heard of Zoom. Cousins who had rarely met because of distance became close friends. New Zoom family traditions are being established. 

So now it is over. It is lovely to feel "back to normal". Now we may visit parks further away - a change for the dog as well, and even he is enjoying car rides!

We may now go to the river and the bigger lakes (only six kilometres away) . Concerts return soon – and by then we will have overcome our reserve about being with crowds. 

We will have regained the art of face to face conversation, rather than Zoom. We still have to navigate the "priority list" for catch-ups with friends. How high are we on their list, or how high are they on ours? There is less of a sense of duty about catch-ups , and more genuine pleasure.

However, now that lock-down  is over, will all these continue? Will we meet together more often? Will the children – and their parents – be busy with swimming and dance lessons after school, or with catching up on their other friends at the weekend? Will they assume that we are too busy? Let's hope we maintain the blessings of lockdown!

Yes, we are busy. The garden must be pruned in order to get a new flush of flowers for Christmas and before it gets too hot - that gives at most a couple of weeks! And Christmas shopping must be done. Having shopped on-line for most of the last eighteen months I actually want to browse the shops. Not something I expected I would say! And the volunteer roles will soon be starting up again. These filled many whole days each week.

Our vaccination rate is excellent – nearing eighty percent Australia wide (over 16 years), but nearer to ninety percent in my State, which helps one to feel comforted and thankful. We prefer the freedom of being alive and well. We remember that every medication we receive for other illnesses has unknown (and known) side effects – but we still take them if necessary, thankful for medical science prolonging our days. Most people are compliant for wearing masks. Many people feel that the community well-being has a higher priority than individual "freedoms". We prefer the freedoms we obtain by choosing to wear a mask, over the comfort of not having to. Society as a whole is making a statement about what is valued.

One joy for me this year has been having time to enjoy FanStory. First anniversary!  It has been a time for me to think and remember, time to record feelings, time to create. Time to make new friends, and appreciate their creativity, to be amazed by the life stories of others, to respect and admire the survivors, to applaud the encouragers, to be thankful for those who pray for each other, a time to learn from the wisdom of others and to grow as a person myself.

I hope to continue – perhaps my output will be less, as other activities increase. It does not mean I will not be valuing each valued Fanstory friend – but I may perhaps also be trying to encourage and support a young mother dying from cancer, or I may be working on reading skills with disadvantaged children. Or other volunteer roles.

Many of you will already have made the adjustments I am now making into "new normal" life. I am still getting there. Nothing is the same as it was. I am a different person perhaps as well. My reflections here reveal a mixed bag of emotions – the positives as well as negatives for lock-down, for vaccinations and masks (and I have yet to meet anyone who really enjoys wearing a mask!), for maintaining family ties, for all aspects of living life.



The pandemic has given us all this opportunity to reflect on what is important, to reflect on our relationships, on wise use of time and energy.

My conclusion is simple. Find ways to be positive and creative, to enjoy each day, to love and care for others, and to live a rich and full life, whether in lock-down or not.

We can be free either way.
 

 



Story of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you for reading this long piece. I wanted to capture my thoughts about the pandemic and the way we tried to care for children and each other, and also my sometimes confusing thoughts with the end of lock-down. It has been a different slice of life. I appreciate your time.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.