General Fiction posted October 19, 2021 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A visit to the psychiatrist

A chapter in the book Cat Tales

Foster's Search for Answers

by damommy



















Red - Foster
Black - the Doctor

My siblings don’t understand me, Doctor. 
 
In what way, Foster?  Just relax and let it all come out slowly.  In your own time.
 
Well, see, when there are sudden noises, inside or out, everyone scatters like it’s the end of the world.  I don’t.  I wait to see what’s going on before I make a decision to bolt.  Usually, I don’t bolt.
 
Sounds like you have a good grip on things, Foster.  Why are you bothered by this?
 
Because they tell me that cats are supposed to be skittish about anything sudden.  It doesn’t make any sense to me.
 
There’s nothing wrong with being different.  You don’t have to be like all other cats.
 
But, Doctor, they laugh at me because I don’t run from the vacuum cleaner.  I don’t see any reason to run.  It’s not going to suck me up.  I like watching damommy push it back and forth.  The motion’s a bit mesmerizing.  Besides, I know she would never come close to me with anything dangerous.
 
They even went so far as to accuse me of having a “stash” hidden somewhere that keeps me “mellow.”
 
Go on, my friend.  I think we’re making some headway here.
 
Well, it’s not that the others don’t trust damommy.  It’s just they think they should act like cats are expected to act. 
 
And how does that make you feel?
 
I find that demeaning, like we don’t have minds of our own.  Take PC, for instance.  One of the smartest cats I’ve ever known, but even he reverts to the “norm” when something sudden happens.
 
That’s all we have time for now, but I think you don’t have anything to worry about.  I find that you are a well-balanced cat that thinks for himself.  In fact, I don’t think you need any more counseling at all.  Now, go and live life your own way.  You are very smart, and I know you’ll always make good decisions.
 
Thanks, Doctor.  May I have a note from you saying so?
 

Are you kidding?  You’re not like a normal cat at all.  Now get out of here.  Scat! 
 
 
 
 

 



Recognized


Animal Crackers Club's challenge was "what would you pet say if it went to a psychiatrist?"

Club entry for the "Pets" event in "Animal Crackers".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. damommy All rights reserved.
damommy has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.