Humor Fiction posted October 19, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Visiting the psychiatrist to ...

Get help for a dear one

by Wendy G


Good afternoon, Doctor Right. 

My name is Sunny, and although I am "just" a dog, I need your advice – about friendships. I need to know how to help my Mama to be more relaxed about making friends.

I am more extroverted and make friends easily, but Mama is just too reserved, and doesn't show enough interest in other people. I will give you some examples to show our different perspectives.

My Mama says that I can be a bit too forward … looking into other people's business. Yet this is how one makes friends, by showing an interest in what they are doing….

Recently I stopped on the footpath to watch a man working in his garage. He was making something out of wood, and it looked very interesting. Mama was embarrassed because I insisted on watching him, with my mouth open. I was smiling, to show him I was a friendly observer. She made me hurry away! I think he was pleased that I was watching. But is my Mama right?

On another walk, we passed a man locking his front door and walking towards his car. I walked up his driveway to greet him. Mama apologized and told the man that I was a busy-body, always wanting to know everyone's business. However we were then still in lock-down and he was only supposed to be going out for essential shopping. I was just checking that he was doing the right thing.

Of course the man understood, so he turned to me and told me that they were just going to the local shops. Mama started to pull me away, but I then went to the passenger side of the car to meet and greet his wife who was waiting for him. "We are just going to do some shopping", she told me, and offered me lots of pats for being so friendly.

So his story was confirmed and I was satisfied. Mama told me that I was not a policeman, and had no business checking up on people. I felt I was being a responsible citizen! I was extremely friendly, and discreet – they didn't even realise they were being checked on. I made them both happy!

When the little ones play games with me I don't take my toy back to them to throw again and again. I just keep it and smile. That saves them from getting either tired or bored. Do you see how unselfish and considerate I am? Mama plays the same games with them all the time – but she says they like those games. Is there a lesson for Mama here?

I have also been known to lead her towards pre-schools, so I can watch the children playing. Mama says that this is not socially acceptable, and tries to hasten me on. I have always liked children, but she says we can't stand there for too long. Is she right?

Mama says that there is such a thing as being too friendly. She says that it is not good manners to approach another family having a picnic. What I am doing is indirectly commenting favourably on their cooking skills – because their food smells so good! I thought that would be a nice thing to do!

And sharing food is part of hospitality, so I am giving the picnickers an opportunity to be hospitable towards me. My Mama says that I am being rude and intrusive. She even once used the word "greedy"!

I like to be sociable when we visit her friends, by playing with their pets. That helps friendships to develop. One particular fun game is called "Chasey". I have seen children play this game, and everyone smiles happily. But when I play "Chasey" with their pet rabbit, cat, or guinea-pig, I get into trouble, and often have to be tied up.

Sometimes in my usual friendly manner, I chase after other dogs I don't know, just to make new friends. Mama never chases after anyone!

What strategies can I use to help Mama?I want her to be more friendly – just like me!

Thank you for listening. Psychiatrists are always such good listeners! I have my laptop ready for your suggestions. I am sure you will give me the "Right" answers!

 



Recognized


I classified this as fiction, because most humans believe that dogs can't talk or use the computer. But my experiences and thoughts are all real.
Thank you for "paw-sing" to read.
Sunny

Club entry for the "Pets" event in "Animal Crackers".  Locate a writing club.
Pays one point and 2 member cents (and maybe more).


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.