General Flash Fiction posted October 18, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The perils of missing the first part of a conversation

Overestimation in a FLASH

by Elizabeth Emerald


This afternoon, Chuck and I took a 40-minute drive to an apple orchard: closed Mondays.

To make the trip retrospectively worthwhile, we drove to a nearby beach, which I strolled for half an hour whilst Chuck waited in the car.

I returned to find Chuck by the beach entrance, conversing with a policeman. They'd chanced to discover they'd attended the same high school.

They were chuckling in remembrance of the infamous Jack Connors, a classmate of Chuck's, whose devilish pranks I'd heard tell of.

The officer looked too young to be a contemporary of Chuck, who is 74. 

By way of a compliment, I told him he looked to be barely 70.

He replied: I'm 48; Jack Connors is the father of my friend Paul.



 



Recognized


Pebble Beach by simonka on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by simonka at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.