Mystery and Crime Fiction posted October 17, 2021 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Garth's news is devastating

A chapter in the book Revenge

Revenge - Chap 5

by Begin Again




Background
A member of the crime team is drawn into a diabolical scheme by an ex-con, Vito Moretti, who spent eight years in prison for a crime he didn't commit. Upon his release, he set out to get revenge.






Allie felt the butterflies fluttering inside her stomach. Her warm smile and sparkling eyes sent a message to Garth as he approached her.
 
“Good morning. Out early this morning, are you? Trying to solve the crime without me?” Allie fist-bumped his arm. “That’s poor sportsmanship, you know. We’re a team.”
 
Garth forced a smile while his gut twisted and turned. “Not a chance, gorgeous. I didn’t think you would be up and about this early.”
 
“What? Do you take me for a slacker?” Allie scowled. “Besides, I overheard Tango saying you’d need all the help you can get. I’m ready to hit the payment.”
 
“That’s mighty nice of you, but I have a few things to take care of first.” Garth needed that coffee, and Allie wasn’t making things any easier for him.
 
“Tell me. I can help.” Allie prodded Garth. “Where’d you go so early this morning? Did you talk to Sheriff Ortiz? Is there any news about last night?”
 
“Girl, how can you have so much energy after last night? I’m exhausted, and a cup of coffee sounds like a perfect solution.”
 
“Coffee?” Allie tossed a devilish smile at Tango. “Did you hear that, Tango? Your boss needs coffee. He thinks he can stop my interrogation by sending me on an errand, but it’s not happening. Your mission is a pot of coffee, and mine is to get some answers.”
 
Dismissing Tango, Allie spun back around toward Garth, poking her finger into his chest. “For your information, cowboy, you can’t distract me so easily.”
 
Tango shifted his eyes from Allie and then to his boss. “It appears you are going to need that coffee. Be back in a sec.”
 
Garth shrugged, then nodded at the agent. “Yes, it does. And make it strong if you don’t mind.”
 
“Gotcha, boss.” Tango headed into the house for coffee and a shot of whiskey. Garth was going to need it.
 
As soon as Tango disappeared inside the house, Allie zeroed in on Garth. “What’s with all the evasiveness? After working on the last case with you, I thought we were past the secrets. I’m part of the team, right?” She moved closer, leaving little space between them. “You’re not thinking of squeezing me out because of someone’s stupid stunt last night? Because when I get a hold of my sister, she’s going to get a piece of my mind. Jaz and her acting friends must have gotten a big laugh out of their joke.”
 
Garth wrapped his arms around Allie and pulled her tight against his body. Her hair was damp from the shower, and she smelled like sweet lavender. He kissed the top of her head before releasing her. “Do you always smell so delicious in the morning?”
 
“I suppose, but don’t go off-topic, please. I want to know what you are trying so darn hard not to tell me. You know I won’t stop, so you might as well spill your guts.”
 
“Here’s your coffee, boss.” Tango had a tray with two mugs of coffee, a pint of Jack Daniels, cream and sugar, and several fresh pastries from the kitchen. He glanced at Garth and then set the tray on the table. “I’ve got a few things to do, so I’ll leave you two to hash it out. Poppa and I will be on the front porch if you need us.”
 
Allie watched Tango disappear around the corner of the house before turning back to Garth. “Okay, Tango’s as nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof. What the heck is going on?”
 
Garth took Allie’s hand and led her toward the two-seater lounge. “Make yourself comfortable, and I’ll bring the coffee over here.” He quickly retrieved the tray and set it on the table in front of the lounge chair. “How about the coffee first?” He picked up the bottle of Jack and poured a shot into his mug. “Would you like some too?”
 
“I’ll reserve my decision till after I discover what you don’t want to tell me, okay?” Allie laughed, “I’ve never seen you so nervous. Are you breaking up with me or something?”
 
Garth leaned over and kissed her, running his hand across her cheek. “The thought never crossed my mind, I assure you.”
 
“Then what’s going on with you? Did they find the shooter already? Is it someone I know? Though I can’t figure out how Jaz would know anyone in California to pull off her prank.”
 
Garth emptied his coffee mug and replaced it on the tray. He reached over and took both Allie’s hands, wrapping his own hands around them. “Sheriff Ortiz called me into the office this morning because he wanted to share some information with me.”
 
“About last night? I knew it. You don’t have to hold things back. Whoever it was, they deserve to get what’s coming to them. Jaz and her friends need to know things like that aren’t funny.”
 
Garth squeezed her hands and took a deep breath. “Allie, listen, okay? Your chattering isn’t making things any easier.”
 
“My chattering?” Allie tried to pull her hands away from him. “Excuse me, but I was trying to get a simple answer from you. If you’d tell me what’s going on, maybe I wouldn’t have to keep guessing.”
 
“Alright, I can’t find an easy way to tell you, and I’m sorry.” Garth tried to wrap his arms around her, but Allie moved away. “Allie, don’t be like that.” Garth looked like a lost schoolboy. His heart was breaking, and he had no idea how to proceed without destroying Allie.
 
“I don’t need to be coddled. Someone shot at us last night. I lived through it, and now you need to tell me what you know so we can move forward and close this case. Simple as that!” Allie snapped. “If it wasn’t Jaz, then who was it and why? What did Ortiz tell you?”
 
Garth sighed, “The Sheriff got a call from Savannah, Georgia, early this morning.”
 
“Savannah, Georgia? Is that where Jaz is? I know there are a lot of film studios in that area. Did she do something illegal?”
 
“Allie, I didn’t think this could be any more difficult than it is, but your continual questions are only adding to my struggle.”
 
“I’m sorry. I’ll be quiet so you can tell me what’s happening?” She pretended to zip her lips.
 
“Thank you.” Garth took a deep breath, exhaled, and held her hands. “Savannah called because they found a body on the beach this morning.”
 
“A body?” Allie bit her lip. “Was it a swimming accident?”
 
“No, they believe it was probably murder. The sheriff said—”
 
“A murder? What happened? Who is it?” Allie wailed, “Is it Jaz? Oh, my God, Garth, tell me they didn’t say it was my sister.”
 
“They discovered the female body after a wild college beach party. Police found Jaz’s personal effects in the area.”
 
“Then they should be able to compare her driver’s license picture with the body. If it doesn’t match, that will eliminate Jaz, right?” Allie’s breathing labored. “Can’t you call them and ask?” Her eyes registered terror as she waited for a simple confirmation.
 
He pulled Allie into his arms before answering, “We have to go there, Allie. They found the woman in the ashes of a bonfire.” Tears glistened in his eyes as he held Allie tighter. “Her face is burnt beyond recognition.” He swallowed the bile rising in his throat and struggled to remain calm.
 
Allie’s scream sounded like a wounded animal. “No—oo—oo!” Her flailing fists struck Garth’s head, arms, and chest. “It can’t be Jaz. It can’t be.” Her sobs racked her body, and all Garth could do was hold her.
 
“I’m sorry, love. I am so sorry.” He kissed her head and brushed his hand down her hair and her trembling back. “They need you to identify the body. We’ve got to go to Savannah. Do you think you can do that?”
 
He felt her head nod against his chest, but she could say nothing. For now, his arms wrapped around her were the only comfort he could offer. She needed to absorb the pain before she could even breathe again. At that moment, he knew how much he loved and wanted to protect the woman in his arms.


 



Recognized


Characters:
Vito Moretti - a black-hearted ex-con with vengeance in his blood
Charles (Charlie) Dubois - a childhood friend who enjoys living luxuriously
Marian Carrington - a star in her own mind and suffers from dementia
Henry and Tina Pagani - an elderly couple living on St. Simon Island
Cheryl - Personal maid to Lady Marian
Angel Bearrows - a wanna-be actress in the wrong place at the wrong time

Alyssa Shelton (Allie)- Investigative Journalist and unofficial FBI Agent
Jasmine Shelton (Jaz) - wanna-be-movie star and living on the edge of life
Garth Woodman - FBI Agent and Allie's love interest
Hank and Emmy Armato - retired detectives and current Private Investigators
Sheriff Ortiz - Hayden - Napa Valley Police Department
Sheriff Welcher - Savannah, Georgia Police Department
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents who work closely with Garth
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.