Romance Fiction posted October 3, 2021 Chapters:  ...53 54 -55- 56... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Jordan made the winning touchdown.

A chapter in the book Football - A Novel

Football Chapter 29 part 1

by barbara.wilkey




Background
After Katherine's husband dies, she struggles raising her four sons by herself. Is Gabriel the father figure the boys never had and the husband she deserves?
Katherine and Gabriel have known each other for 35 days.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Gabriel scanned the living room before he put his arms around Katherine and drew her closer. "I have a feeling he's already scouted out his opponent. What I know for sure is it's getting late and I'd really like a good night kiss before I leave." He pecked her cheek. "I don't see a P.I. peeking through the windows. Think it's possible?"

Katherine glanced around the room and noticed all the windows had the curtains drawn. "I'd say it's a real possibility." She started to lean in for the kiss, but stopped. "Do you really think it'll be okay?"

Gabriel laughed. "Come here, silly. I'm sure it's okay. I doubt good night kisses are..."

Before he could finish his sentence, Katherine kissed him.

He matched her kiss with a lingering one, and then released a deep breath. "I could get used to that." He started to stand, but paused for a kiss that took her breath away. "Now, I really need to leave. If this continues, it might lead into something neither of us is ready for." He stood.

Katherine followed him to the door. "Good night."

Gabriel pecked her cheek. "Good night. I look forward to seeing you in the morning." He left.

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 29 part 1


Friday morning, Katherine with Daisy opened the front door, but stretched inside until she saw Gabriel and Reggie running toward her. As soon as they met at the sidewalk, the dogs turned and started growling.

After she released a deep breath, Katherine asked, "Do you think Mr. Elder can do anything about that?"

"It never hurts to ask." He watched her set the timer. "Ready?"

She began running. "Is everything all right? You seem a little preoccupied."

Gabriel remained silent.

"Okay, we won't talk."

They ran in silence.

When Katherine's timer went off, they turned around, and Gabriel stopped. "I'm sorry."

Katherine continued running. "No problem. You obviously have a lot on your mind."

He caught up. "I don't know how to say it."

She laughed. "You can do what I usually do, just blurt it out and then apologize after you've been patient while I work through it."

"I guess that'll work. Our kiss last night really got to me."

"Which one?"

He chuckled. "I never expected that response. I guess the first one, because it led to the second one. Let's say I enjoyed them way too much. We've agreed to take it slow. If we kiss like that again, slow won't happen. I can't allow anything to happen that'd put you and the boys in jeopardy."

She held up her wrist. "Maybe we need to set a timer on the kisses."

He stopped. "That's ridiculous."

"Just a suggestion."

"Are you taking this seriously?"

She ran in place waiting for him to catch up. "I'm sorry." She brushed a hair from her cheek. "I enjoyed the kiss way too much also."

When she exhaled, he asked, "What are you trying to say?"

"I've never been kissed like that."

Gabriel touched her arm. "You don't need to say any more. I got it. From now on, I'll stick to pecks on the cheek. Right now, that's the safest. Agree?"

"Agree." She faced her house. "I'd better go inside. In case I don't see you before you guys leave. Good luck. Angie and I are leaving right after practice and she's driving."

"It's about an hour trip. Do me a favor and send a text, letting me know you arrived safely."

"Will do." She jogged to the front door, turned, and waved.

*****
Once the ladies and the three boys found a seat in Viking Stadium, Katherine sent Gabriel a text .

Angie glanced over. "Texting Gabe?" When she nodded, Angie continued, "Bill asked me to do the same. I wonder if one text from us will work."

"Probably not."

Once Gabriel received the text he faced the visitor's stands and searched. When he had eyes on them, he grinned and waved.

Jeremy jumped up, waved his hands, and screamed, "I see Coach!"

Katherine tapped his arm. "He sees you too. Please sit."

Bill searched the stands for Angie. When he found them, he saw Jeremy and elbowed Gabriel and pointed.

Gabriel gave Jeremy a 'thumbs up'.

As the game began Angie googled and found the radio station bringing the game. "Good, Harold's announcing. I like his commentary."

"He does a good job. He's announced since Dad coached. I'll have to ask him how many years he's brought the games." Katherine paused. "Since I have practice Thursday nights, he videos Joshua's games so I can watch them later. He's so nice."

Angie laughed. "That's sweet. He's probably announced forever."

At the end of the second quarter the game was tied, 0-to-0.

Joshua stood. "This is a good game. The winner's going to be whoever doesn't make a mistake. Nobody has yet. It's a real coaching duel. I know Coach will win."

Katherine glanced at her son. "I agree. I'm sure Gabriel's the better coach. Anything can happen in one game. We still have the second half to go." She rubbed her hands together. "Halftime's over."

Angie checked her phone. "My battery's dead. Can you find the station?"

"Sure." Katherine search and found the game. "I've got it.

As the fourth quarter started, the score was still 0-to-0.

With three minutes left, Gabriel called time out.

Katherine covered her face with her hands. "What wild stunt's he going to try?"

Angie sighed. "I know. I'm scared to watch."

Standing with both hands on the railing, Katherine whispered, "No, he put Jordan in. Please God, protect him." She closed her eyes.

The quarterback yelled cadence.

She heard Harold yell, "And the hike, Floyd passes the ball to Riley." Katherine opened her eyes as Harold continued, "What? I've never seen anything like it. What's Coach thinking? I can't believe my eyes. The entire team and I mean all the boys are surrounding Riley and running with him down the field. A few of the linemen lag behind." He laughed. "Never expected that. And we have a touchdown! Go Bears!"

Katherine sat. "What?" She watched the opposing coach run onto the field. "This can't be good."

Angie studied the field. "Was that even legal?

"I don't know. We'll soon find out." Katherine tilted her head. "Who's Harold talking with?"

"It's Gabe! His mic's live. Hurry text him, let him know."

Harold: "Son, what were you thinking?"

Gabriel: "I had nothing to do with it. It was all the team. They talked me into letting Riley play, so I called a pass-play. I told the boys to guard Riley because if he gets hurt again, his mom will kill me. I guess they took me literally and surrounded Riley." He chuckled. "Who would've thunk it?"

Gabriel checked his text. "Dad, we have a live mic." He turned and saw the Viking's coach grab Floyd's face mask and shook him. He ran, stood between the coach and the teenager, and ordered the boy to the sidelines. He locked his fingers behind his back and then yelled, "You can say or do whatever you want to me, but don't ever touch my player again."

He shoved Gabriel. "What will you do, huh?"

"I won't go to jail for the likes of you, but I'll make sure you never coach another game in your life."

The referee came up. "Break it up. Coach Hudson, go to your bench." He pointed his finger at the other coach and then toward the locker room. "You're out of here."

As she bit her lower lip, Katherine texted Gabriel again. "You still have a live mic. The entire stadium's listening to every word you say."

Gabriel said, "Dad, do something about that da...stupid mic!" He glanced up at the announcing booth and shook his head , then he motioned the team to huddle.

They lined up to kick an extra point, and then ran it in for a two point conversion. He glanced toward Katherine and gave her a 'thumbs up'.

She faced Angie. "He's certifiably crazy."

Angie giggled. "True, but you're in love with him."

Katherine stared at Gabriel. I sure am and it's scary.

The final score was 8-to-0. The Bears beat the Vikings.

*****
While the boys sat inside Angie's SUV, Katherine made sure Jeremy fastened his safety belt before she got in. She noticed Angie searching for something. "What you looking for?"

"My phone charger." She dropped her forehead onto the steering wheel. "I left it at school. I forgot to charge my phone last night so charged it there. Does your phone have any battery left?"

"Let me check." She checked. "One percent. We shouldn't need them."

"There's a barbecue place in town that's really good. Do you mind if we stop and take some home?"

"Sounds good. It'll be a meal I don't have to cook."

Angie drove further into the town. The stop took longer than expected, by almost forty-five minutes.

They turned onto I-35 south, when suddenly the SUV swerved right.

A blinking light indicated a problem. Angie pulled off the road. "It says I have a flat. Do you know how to change one?"

Katherine opened her door. "Boys, stay inside. No, but we're smart. We can figure it out, right?"

Angie opened the back. "I guess the jack and tire should be under here." She pulled a ring and the carpeted floor lifted. "It's empty! Where else would it be?"

Pointing Katherine said, "It should be right here. There's the indention for them. What do we do?"

"I don't know. Our cell phones are dead, so we can't call the guys."

"We wait. It'll be safer if we wait inside." She glanced at the SUV. "Good your emergency blinkers are on."

Joshua asked, "Mom, what if a bad person stops?"

"We need faith only a good person stops."

Her eyes met Angie's and they both held their breath.

*****
A little over thirty minutes later a state trooper stopped and asked what the problem was.

Angie showed him the flat tire, explained there wasn't a jack or spare tire, and their phones were dead.

He allowed Angie to use his phone to call her husband, said he needed to leave, but would remain in the area and check on them often.

True to his word, they saw his cruiser drive by off-and-on for the next hour while they waited for Bill and Gabriel's arrival.

Eventually, Gabriel pulled up behind them. He jumped out of the truck and hurried to the passenger door. "You guys all right?"

"We're fine."

He gave Katherine a quick hug. "Why didn't you call?"

Katherine held up her dead cell phone. "We listened to Harold announce the game and our phones went dead."

Bill did the same with Angie. "Where's your car charger?"

"At school."

After he released a deep breath, he said, "Figures." He pulled a jack and spare tire from Gabriel's pick-up. "Let's get this flat changed and get on home. I'm sure the boys are tired."

Jordan grinned. "Mom, how upset are you over that play?"

"How about we discuss it at home?"

Gabriel studied her. "How much trouble am I in?"

She walked over to him and pecked his cheek. "I do have a few questions, but not here."

Jeremy started to get out of the SUV, but Katherine pointed for him to get back inside, as he said, "Coach, why didn't you punch that coach in the face when he attacked our quarterback? He deserved it."

"He did deserve it, but why do you think I had my hands behind my back?" When Jeremy shrugged his shoulders, he continued, "So I wouldn't do something stupid. Punching him would've only gotten me into trouble and probably a suspension. He's the one who's facing suspension. I'm not in any trouble." He winked at Katherine. "We'll talk at home."

After the tire change, Gabriel said, "Why don't Bill and Angie drive home and I'll take the rest of you? It'll save time."

Katherine smiled. "It's a great idea, but I doubt you can fit four boys and Reggie in your backseat."

He lifted his cap and then replaced it. "True. I guess we stick to the original plans." He hugged her. "We'll follow. See you at home. Wait a minute." He jogged to his truck and returned. "My phone charger. Charge your phone."



~~~~~~
I want to thank those of you who have expressed concern and have asked about my broken wrist. I saw my primary caregiver last week. I broke my wrist in two places. The most concerning break is at my wrist joint. I will see an orthopedic to see if I need surgery. Every day I discover something new that one needs two hands for. I'm getting better at finger typing, but my brain sends letters to my finger faster than I finger peck and I get some strange looking words.
~~~~~~

CHARACTERS:

Katherine Riley: age 33 - widowed: husband died 6 months ago. She moved to Texas from NYC with her four sons. She teaches high school math and also coaches girls cross country.

Daisy: Katherine's yellow Labrador

Gabriel Hudson: High School football coach and former NFL defensive lineman

Reggie: a very large English Mastiff

Jeremy: Katherine's six year old son. He's in first grade.

Jordan: Katherine's fifteen year old son. He's a sophomore.

Joshua Katherine's thirteen year old son. He's in 8th grade

Joel Katherine's eleven year old son. He's in 6th grade.

Paul Edwards: High School principal and Gabriel's friend.

Rodney Frost: Math department head, at least for now.

Angie Brooks Math teacher and Katherine's friend.

Frank Collins Math teacher.

Rebecca and Harold Hudson Gabriel's parents

Sarah and Bob Beck Katherine's parents, Bob is deceased

Frank Collins math teacher

Alan Green an Assistant Principal

Sandy Frost Rodney Frost's wife

Sam Auto repair shop owner

Bill Brooks Assistant football coach, Gabriel's friend, and Angie's husband.

Harold Hudson Gabriel's dad and football announcer.

Sandy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Judy Teenage girl on cross country team.

Rhonda Morgan Teenage girl on cross country team, and victim of dating violence.

Mr. and Mrs. Morgan Rhonda's parents.

Kenny Clark Teenager - Rhonda's boyfriend

Grace Former friend of Gabriel and featured in porn magazine

Janette & Jackson Riley Katherine's in-laws

Dr. Martin Jordan's doctor

Troy Elder Lawyer and friend of Gabriel from his pro-football days








Recognized


Thank you google images for a photo of a flat tire. I also want to thank everybody for the helpful reviews. This novel is not actually about football, but is part of the background. High football is a national pastime in Texas. This post is a little over 1,800 words. Forgive me for the length. Thank you for having patience.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.