General Fiction posted September 18, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A fun romp across the solar system, at speed

Amalthean Battle

by Pangalactic


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.

The door slammed, echoing down the long hall. Already at a full run, I rounded the sharp corridor and in one movement stripped my shirt off and threw it down on the metallic tile. There wasn't a second to waste if I was to make the hyper jump in time to catch up to the Cardinal and neutralize him before he could do any more damage to the already tenuous bond between the Jovian clans. I had been tracking and following this bastard for weeks and was now so close I could smell him. I quickly slid into my EVA suit and jumped in the cockpit of the Lamp. While plugging the serum drill into its receptacle in my forearm, I punched in the coordinates for Amalthea and braced myself - this wasn't going to be pleasant..

The feeling was always the same: like rising rapidly from the bottom of a boiling sea. You could literally feel your molecules dilating in time as they tried to compensate for the faster than light speed of the Lamp drive. I vomited aggressively, the price paid for the six hundred million kilometer time bending journey, before opening the cockpit and stepping out into the bleak Amalthean landscape.

I only saw the Cardinal for a brief second before the first bullet hit me. As I went down the bastard hit me again but not before i was able to pull the trigger of my own weapon. The Cardinal's chest plate was no match for the large caliber slug. He went down awkwardly and didn't get up.
My tension eased. I looked up at the swirling clouds of the Jovian giant, "there" I said to myself "it's done".



The Door Slammed writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story that starts with this sentence: The door slammed, echoing down the long hall.

Don't add to the sentence. The catch is this must be flash fiction. So the story should be between 100 and 1,000 words.


I've always been a fan of science fiction - so tantalising for the imagination. Space ships, stellar vistas, aliens, what's not to like :)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Pangalactic All rights reserved.
Pangalactic has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.