Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 15, 2021 Chapters:  ...53 54 -55- 56... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Mary and Liz forget the past

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 55

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.
“Oh, gracious Father in Heaven, please guide me and open my heart to this woman, my birth mother. Help me understand why she didn’t love me and gave me away. Give me the strength to forgive her actions and forgive myself for the ones that offended her.”
 
Liz sat at the kitchen table, her hands folded in prayer. She’d left Mary in the front room and came to get some iced tea and pastries, but she needed a moment. This morning it had seemed the right thing to do; confront the woman who gave birth to her, sort out all the emotions, and then move forward with their separate lives.
 
Something changed when she walked Mary into the house and settled her on the sofa. This woman didn’t resemble the images she’d carried in her mind all these years; this woman had faced hardships and given her life to caring for others. She looked so fragile. She’d discovered her only love again, only to watch him die. She’d found her daughter, Hope, only to have ice water on her dreams.
 
“I can’t do this. I must give Mary a chance. She needs to share her story with me. Thank you, Lord, for showing me the right path.”
 
Liz took a deep breath, stood and picked up the tray she’d prepared, and left the kitchen. She hesitated at the entrance of the front room. She could see Mary was distraught. Mary pressed her face against a throw pillow as she attempted to silence her soft cries. Liz could feel her anguish and knew she couldn’t add any more to this woman’s shoulders.
 
Liz stepped a few feet back into the hallway and called out, “Mary, sorry it took me so long. I brought us some goodies, sweet tea, and lemon or cherry pastries. I made them yesterday, so I hope you like them.” Liz set the tray down and rearranged the napkins, giving Mary a moment to gain control.
 
“They look delicious, dear. You shouldn’t have bothered.” Mary wiped away a straggling tear as it ran down her cheek before she looked at Liz and smiled.
 
“It was no bother. I love to bake. Lemon or cherry?” Liz played the role of hostess, giving them both a few extra moments.
 
“Lemon is my favorite, if you don’t mind.” Liz placed a large lemon slice on Mary’s plate and handed it to her.
 
“What a coincidence; lemon is my favorite, too.” Liz put a lemon slice on her plate and then sat on the sofa. “Where shall we begin?”
 
“What would you like to know? Or would you prefer to talk about yourself?” Mary nibbled the corner of her pastry. “This is wonderful.”
 
“Thank you. My nanny taught me. We spent hours together in the kitchen baking and, of course, eating our efforts.”
 
“You had a nanny. You must have had a good life. What about your parents—um, your adopted parents? Did they do much with you?”
 
Liz wondered how she should answer Mary’s question, then decided honesty was the best way. “I thought the Reverend Mother was my mother. She cared for me from the time I was an infant. She said I was very sick, but she refused to give up on me. She never told me any different, not even when my parents adopted me. I was eight years old, and they took me away without ever explaining. It was my nanny who taught me about life. I lived in a beautiful home, and they gave me everything a child could want except attention from my parents. I am not pointing fingers at them. They meant well, but they were old. We had proper teas and dinners where we discussed my education and world events. It was Allie and Jack who showed me there was a wonderful world outside my house. A world I didn’t appreciate until now. It sounds terrible, but I thought I deserved to be pampered and spoiled because I was adopted. I guess I felt cheated.”
 
“Were you angry when you left the Reverend Mother? And when you learned of your birth mother, did you hate her?” Mary pressed her lips together. “It’s okay if you did. You were a child, and I am sure you thought no one loved you.”
 
“I didn’t understand why people gave me away, disposed of like unwanted trash.” Liz's eyes were sad.
 
Mary gasped, and her hand flew to her mouth in shock. “Oh, dear, how awful.”
 
“Tell me about you. Why did you give me away?” Liz wasn’t sure she wanted the answers, but she asked anyhow.
 
“It’s not a pretty story, but I think it will help you understand.” Mary inhaled deeply and let the air slowly dissipate. “My mother died giving birth to me. My father was a hardworking man, but he was also a mean, abusive drunk. After my mother passed, he married a young woman, hoping to have someone raise me so he didn’t have to bother. It didn’t work out, and he took his resentment out on me.”
 
“Oh, I am sorry. And I thought living a life of luxury with caring, old people was a punishment.” A pink flush crept across Liz’s cheeks as she realized how selfish she’d been all these years.
 
“We all have our own problems, Liz. It doesn’t make yours any less important than mine. They were just different.” Mary rubbed her hands together and closed her eyes before she continued. “I met Jon when he needed a tutor. I was fifteen. No one treated me like he did. I thought we were in love. He promised to take me away from the hellhole I lived in, and I believed his fairytale.
 
“I was so excited when I found out I was pregnant. I thought he was too. But when his family discovered the truth about me, they lied, said Jon was dead and disappeared to Italy. My father kicked me out of his house, and I lived in a cardboard box on the streets until my English teacher, Doris Bartlett, rescued me. She saved my life and the lives of my babies.
 
“I lived with the nuns, but Doris paid for all my care. When Faith and—when the twins were born, I kept them for two days before the Reverend Mother took them from me. I will never forget the pain I felt that day. I felt my heart had been ripped out of me. She told me someone had adopted Faith, and Hope was very sick and would die. I was never told another word about either of you.”
 
“But you’re with Faith now. You’ve been with her for a long time.” A twinge of jealousy dripped from Liz's words.
 
“God works in mysterious ways. I became an RN and cared for Doris until she died. She left me a great deal of money, so I didn’t need to work. I wanted to pay it forward, so I took care of others. The Reverend Mother asked me if I would care for a young woman with cancer. I learned to love Faith and Annie, but I didn't know Faith was my daughter until recently."
 
“Faith has cancer. I didn't know. Is that why you live in the cottage, and she never leaves? How—how long does she have to live?”
 
“Dr. Copeland never says. He comes once a week, gives her a shot, and leaves. Some days are good, and some are very difficult, especially with Annie missing.”
 
“I’m so sorry for all the things I said. How can you ever forgive me? Does Faith know about me?”
 
“She knows she has a twin sister. After your first reaction, I felt it better not to tell her you were so close.”
Liz edged nearer to Mary. “May I give you a hug?”
 
Mary smiled, “Of course, I couldn’t imagine anything I’d rather have right now.” Liz drew Mary tight, and they hugged for a long time.
 
“I am so sorry. I don’t know what else to say. I don’t think if I were you, I’d ever forgive me.” Tears glistened in Liz’s eyes.
 
“Don’t be silly. Mothers always forgive their children.” Mary hesitated and then brought her eyes up to meet Liz. “I’m your mother, right?”
 
Tears streamed down Liz’s cheeks, splashing on Mary’s hands. “Yes, I believe you are.” They hugged again and then sat holding each other’s hands and soaking in the moment.

 



Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastian - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango, Poppa, Howard, Pete - FBI agents
Tito - one of Mason's henchmen
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.