Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 5, 2021 Chapters:  ...42 43 -44- 45... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Liz shares her past and discovers the truth

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 44

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.
Cynthia pulled her car to the side of the road. The yellow crime tape stretched across the service road entrance, blocking the access.
 
Cynthia frowned and opened the car door. “Guess we’ll have to walk. Jon.” Her eyes traveled to her feet, and she sighed. She wore a pair of Tony Lama blonde and turquoise boots, not made for hiking through weeds and trees.
 
“Wait! Doesn’t that tape mean we aren’t to enter? Maybe we should come back another day as the agent suggested.” Jon looked at the tape and then at Cynthia. “We could be asking for more trouble.”
 
“Nonsense! You’re a priest, and you came to pray with the family. How could that be wrong?” Cynthia exited the vehicle and peered through the front windshield at her reluctant passenger. “Come on.” When Jon remained in the front seat, she tried another approach. “Fine. Let the poor grieving mother sit there alone. We came this far so you could pray with her, but if you are afraid.”
 
Cynthia opened her car door and leaned her head into the car. “It’s okay, Jon. I’m sure everyone will understand how you chose not to pray with the family.”
 
“Stop it!” Jon snapped. “You’re right. We are here, and I wanted to pray with them, but I can’t stop thinking of the little girl. Why did it come to this? I’m not sure I can pretend I know nothing.”
 
“Listen to me, Jon, and listen good. You know nothing about the kidnapping or where she might be. The less you or I know, the better off we are. Do you understand? Just be a priest for a change.”
 
“I suppose you’re right. Mason’s threats have made me forget who I am.” Jon hung his head. “I never intended for things to turn out this way.”
 
“You’re in too deep now, my friend. Mason wants the land, and you, of all people, should know what Mason wants — Mason gets.” Cynthia sighed and felt a cringe of pity for Jon. “I never expected Mason’s plan to be grabbing the girl, but what’s done is done. It’s getting hot out here. Do you want to go or not?”
 
Jon hesitated and then opened his door. “Yes, we came here to pray with them, so let’s do it. Maybe we can all find a little solace in prayer.”
 
 
*************

Allie returned to Liz’s bedroom with a tray of pastries and two mugs of coffee. She found Liz where she had left her, looking calmer but staring across the vineyard.
 
“I brought some morning sustenance.” Allie laughed. “Got to keep up our energy. The truth is Emmy and Hank were eating some, and they just looked too good to pass up.”
 
Liz turned toward Allie, offering a small chuckle and a smile. “When hasn’t food been a priority to you?” Allie set the tray on the small table. “They look good.”
 
After drinking their coffee and devouring the pastries, Liz was quiet and returned her gaze to the scenic view outside her window. Allie studied her friend’s furrowed brow and twisting hands.
 
“You don’t have to tell me about Hope if it’s too much for you, Lizzie. I am sure it can wait.” Allie reached over and placed her hands on Liz’s hands. “If it worries you so much, it’s not important.”
 
“There’s already been too many secrets, Allie. Ever since we found the birth certificate and adoption papers in Jack’s safe, I’ve let things fester inside me. This morning, all those emotions erupted, and I mishandled it. The poor woman’s granddaughter is missing. Instead of feeling compassion for her, I dumped my aggression on everyone.”
 
“Everyone’s emotions get out of hand sometimes. You’ve been through a great deal, losing Jack, the fire, even having all these people in your home. Excluding me, of course. It’s a lot.”
 
“I made it worse by holding everything inside. If you want to listen, I’ll share some things about Hope.”
 
“Only if you want to tell me. I love you with all my heart, Lizzie, and if it hurts you too much, I don’t need to know.”
 
“Let’s just see how it goes.” Liz smiled and took a deep breath. “The Reverend Mother was my first mom. My first memories are of her and the other nuns. As a baby and a young toddler, she was the one caring for me. When I was sick and couldn’t get out of bed, my memories are of her sitting by my bed or rocking me all night long. Even when I reached school age, she didn’t mention I had a birth mother. I believed she was my mother.”
 
“That’s outstanding that she loved you so much and took care of you.”
 
“She told me I was God’s child, and I was her Hope for the future. My name is Elizabeth Hope, but the Reverend Mother called me Hope. She said every day I should thank the Lord for his blessings and know that good things would come to me. Her words were all I needed.
 
“I felt blessed to be her child. Then one day, this stern-looking woman took me into an office and introduced me to a man and a woman. At eight years old, my first thought was they look like they could be my grandparents if I had any. They talked about living in the city, school, and learning how proper girls should act. I only half-listened to what they said. I wanted to get back to Reverend Mother because she promised we could study the stars, and I wanted to read and impress her with my knowledge.
 
“Instead, the woman said the nuns had packed all my belongings, and I would leave with Mr. and Mrs. Hampton. She told me the Hamptons agreed to adopt me. I remember screaming and calling for Reverend Mother, but she never came. I didn’t understand how she could discard me without ever explaining or saying goodbye.
 
“My first impression of the home I was to grow up in was that the house was a castle. I’d never seen a home so big. A butler showed me my bedroom and introduced me to Lily, my nanny. She watched over me with an eagle eye, ensured I dressed in proper attire, and knew how to behave when I had dinner with my new parents. Lily was a strong disciplinarian and taught me the skills to be a proper lady, but she was thoughtful and caring.
 
“Even though my parents were kind and generous, I missed the Reverend Mother. I couldn’t understand how she allowed strangers to take me away. It was Lily who explained about my birth mother and being adopted. She held me for hours as I cried, for a mother who didn’t want me, and for the woman I thought was my mother and had given me away.”
 
“I guess that’s where Jack and I stumbled into your life and turned it upside down.” Allie laughed. “I remember Lily waving her finger at me, telling me proper young ladies didn’t act that way.”
 
“Yes, meeting you and Jack at the Art Gallery was a blessing. Both of you opened a whole new world to me, much to my parents’ and Lily’s chagrin.”
 
“We were kids, exploring and learning about the world. It didn’t seem strange to Jack and me. What was strange was the girl who acted like she was an old stuffed shirt.”
 
“I wasn’t that bad, was I?” Liz laughed.
 
“You lived in a mansion with old people and servants. You thought a game of checkers or chess was a good time on Friday nights.” Allie grinned. “Luckily for you, Jack and I popped into your life.”
 
“Yes, and I love you both.” Liz’s face changed from grinning to a more serious tone. “Allie, this morning, that Mary woman opened all those old wounds, calling me Hope. I do not know how she would know Reverend Mother had given me that name, but it was the cruelest thing she could have done. What did she think she would gain?”
 
“Liz, I love you, but I think you’re looking at this all wrong. She appeared distraught, and Jack must have believed her story.”
 
“Nonsense. If Jack believed her, he would have told me. Why wouldn’t Faith come down here and talk to me instead of remaining hidden in that cottage? More importantly, what led to her child being kidnapped, and why isn’t she searching for her. I think they want money from me, Allie. Their scheme is some elaborate hoax. I can’t believe all of you are falling for it.”
 
Before Allie could protest, Emmy knocked on the door. “May I come in?”
 
Liz nodded, and Allie hurried to the door, opening it. Emmy was carrying some papers. “I didn’t mean to interrupt, but Allie had asked me to find the coroner’s report.”
 
“I don’t even remember getting it. Whatever it says won’t bring Jack back, now will it?” Liz turned away and stared out the window. “Give it to Hank or Garth. I don’t care what it says.”
 
“I can do that. But the real reason I came in here is that I found an unopened letter addressed to Jack.”
 
“He got messages from people worldwide about the winery and new ways to improve production. I stopped opening them.”

“I don’t believe this letter is about the winery, Liz. The return address is St. Francis Covenant, Home of the Sisters.
 
Liz turned and stared at Emmy as if she had two heads. “The Reverend Mother wrote Jack a letter? Why?”
 
“I don't know, Liz.” Emmy held the letter out to Liz. “Maybe you should open it and find out for yourself.”
 
Liz’s hand trembled as she took the letter from Emmy. She held it on her lap and ran her fingers across the return address. After all these years, the familiar writing gave her goosebumps. She opened the envelope, slipped the letter out, and read:
 
Dear Jack,
 
You can’t imagine what a shock it was to receive your letter inquiring about Mary and the birth of her twin baby girls. Thirty years is a long time. It was a blessing from the Lord when the Cranstons asked if we knew anyone who could care for Faith.
 
I am pleased that Mary remained with Faith after the Cranstons’ deaths. It is devastating to learn Faith has cancer, and now her young daughter, Annie, will lose her mother. I shall pray the Lord gives them guidance and strength to face this tragedy.
 
Your letter questioned if Mary’s other child, Hope, survived. The answer is yes. The doctors were positive she would never live, and if she did, it would be an inferior quality of life.
 
After assisting in the birthing of the twins, it was my responsibility to separate Mary and her babies and find acceptable parents for their adoption. The Cranstons adopted Faith when she was two days old. Unfortunately, being a very sick child, Hope didn’t get the same opportunity. Her care fell to me, and I accepted it without hesitation. Days grew into weeks and then into years. I fell in love with the child. She was the daughter I could never have.
 
By the time she was eight, I adored the child and never considered she would be adopted. The Hamptons were past the average age for adopting, but their wealth, position, and eagerness opened doors for them. When they adopted Hope, it was out of my hands. They could give her so much more than I, except for the love and bond we had developed. The church didn’t allow me to tell her goodbye. Over the years, Lily, Hope’s nanny, sent me updates on Hope’s (Elizabeth’s) progress, while I promised never to contact her.
 
Hope knows nothing about Mary or Faith. The Hamptons preferred not to share any information and requested the records be sealed.
 
I have lived a good life, but the Lord has prepared a place for me, and soon, my days on earth will be over. As far as I know, Mary isn’t aware that Faith is the child she delivered that day. I know she loves her, but I think it only fair that she knows the truth.
 
Ironically, the women’s lives became entwined without them knowing the truth. I will leave it to your discretion regarding your wife, Elizabeth, learning the truth.
 
Sincerely,
 
Reverend Mother
St. Francis Covenant Church
       And Home of the Sisters

 
 
Tears streamed down Liz’s face, splashing on the letter. She raised her eyes to meet Allie’s and then Emmy’s, too.
 
“She’s my mother? And Faith is my sister?” Liz couldn’t control her sobs. Allie’s eyes glistened as she hugged her friend.
 
“Other papers verify Faith is your sister. Jack had DNA Tests run. Hank believes Jack was waiting for verification before telling you. He wasn’t trying to keep Mary and Faith a secret. He was only protecting you.”
 
“Oh, what have I done?” Liz cried. “I was so cruel to the poor woman, I mean, my—mother.” Liz wiped her face with a tissue. “Garth and Hank have to find that little girl. Her mother—my sis—my sister is dying.” Liz shuddered and struggled to breathe. “I’ve discovered I have a family, and now it’s being taken away from me again. I’m right! There’s a curse on this place.”









Summary... Cassidy is framed for murder. Allie goes undercover to protect Cassidy, but they are both stabbed. Cassidy's life is threatened again in the hospital, and she is pronounced dead (but actually in protective custody). Mason Caldwell runs many illegal businesses, including drugs and human trafficking. Jon, a priest and Cassidy's brother, has sold his soul. Mary, a caregiver, discovers her child she gave up for adoption thirty years ago. Cynthia and Michael are searching for gold on Liz's property. The mysterious woman (Faith) is dying from cancer and lives in a secret cottage with her daughter, Annie, Sebastion, and Mary. Darryl runs the winery, and Miguel is in charge of the vineyards. Garth and Hank are trying to solve the cases.
 



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - (Allie) Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Sebastian - the lovable St. Bernard and Annie's companion
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Emmy Armato - Hank's wife and also retired detective
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip, and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Tango and Poppa - FBI agents
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.