Horror and Thriller Flash Fiction posted September 27, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A horror story 250 words

Black Death

by Chrissy710


Black Death

The grave lay forgotten, covered in bush growth; The ring of stones outlining the shape was still visible.

Folklore tells the story of a young migrant girl who travelled from Europe with her parents to Australia years ago to make a new life. Unfortunately, this girl had been infected with the plague known as the 'black death' and died not long after arrival. The body was then buried in a bushland grave.

As children, my cousins and I were given this warning by our parents. "Never go too close or step inside the circle of stones." Although fascinated by this story, we always obeyed these instructions.

However, years later my older cousin Tom and his friend Jack, armed with shovels, found the grave. Tom, decided to see if this story was true and if indeed there was a body buried.

Stepping into the circle of stones, they began to dig up the earth. Laughing, trying to cover their nervousness, they did not notice the mist that began to swirl close by. "Cut it out," Tom said to Jack. "What?" Then Jack said. "Hey did you see that?" Tom answered "What, where?" They then both stopped in their tracks.

Appearing before them was a misty shape. Tom remembered the warning.

Both men were petrified as the shape came closer. Suddenly, the ground opened up.

A search party ventured into the bushland when Tom and Jack failed to return home. Only two shovels were found at an undisturbed old grave site.





SEP Horror 250 Words of Less contest entry



Thanks for reading my effort

Word Count 250

Image is from google

Cheers


Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Chrissy710 All rights reserved.
Chrissy710 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.