General Fiction posted August 27, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Janet's Breast Cancer

Mark and Janet

by pookietoo


Mark and Janet were newlyweds still. They had been married for two years. They had known each other since they were in elementary school. Before they got married, they talked often about having kids. A year after they got married, Janet discovered she was pregnant. Everything went smoothly with this except for the occasional morning sickness. Their first child was a boy. When he was born, he weighed 9 pounds and was 21 inches long. He had brown hair and blue eyes. They named him Samuel. They enjoyed Samuel very much and gave him all the attention in the world. They fed him well and bought several nice toys for him to play with. When he turned three years old, he went to preschool and made many friends.

Mark was still going to college and studying to be an engineer. His college classes kept him busy. Janet was a full-time mother. When Samuel turned four, they had their second child. This one was a girl. They named her Rebecca. When she was born, she was a healthy 6 1/2 pounds, 18 1/2 inches long. She had blond hair and blue eyes.

Both Samuel and Rebecca enjoyed the toys that normal children do. Rebecca had dolls, baking stuff. She played with her favorite dolls. Samuel played with toy soldiers and toy trains. Both of them enjoyed looking at books. Their parents read their favorite books to them at night. When Rebecca turned three, she also went to preschool and made many friends. Both children continued to enjoy school each year. Janet enjoyed keeping a flower garden, and Rebecca enjoyed picking flowers and bringing them in for her family to enjoy. They had daisies, daffodils, roses, bluebells, pansies, and tulips in their flower garden.

Janet's family had a history of cancer. She had a sister that died of lung cancer. Her aunt died of breast cancer, and her grandma died of ovarian cancer. She had been close to each of these family members. She had visited them in the hospital and saw the pain they went through during their chemo treatments. She was really close to her sister. Her death was particularly hard for her to handle. Her sister had two girls and two boys. She became a second mother to them after her sister passed away.

On the day that Janet was diagnosed with breast cancer, she waited until Mark got home from college and told him the bad news. Mark was flabbergasted. He said, "Really, Honey, we have only been married a few years. You had a long life left to live. We will try to fight this." He put his arms around her and sobbed. They told their kids one night after they read to them for the night. They didn't take this news easily. They told her that they didn't want her to die. They loved her so very much. Janet told them she would be okay and would put up a fight. Janet had many hospital visits, and spent several pain-filled months of chemotherapy. Mark often told her that her kids could be heard crying in their bedrooms.

As time went on, Janet did not feel like eating. She lost a lot of weight. When the day came that she thought she was going to die, she told Mark to bring Samuel and Rebecca to her hospital room. Rebecca picked a bunch of flowers and gave them to her mom. Janet tried to smile and thanked her for the flowers. She told Mark that it would be okay for him to find a new wife and to take great care of the children. Janet had decided she would try her luck at poetry. She gave Mark the poem she wrote. This is the poem:
I don't know why God took me away from you. There's so many things we didn't get to do. When there's a gentle breeze, I will be close by. I'll put a colorful rainbow in the sky. Please remember me when you see rain or snow. I love you and our kids more than you may know. Remember me every time you see a star. I'll be in heaven wondering how you are. Remember me each time you see skies of blue. I want you to know that I am so proud of you. Remember me when you see the autumn trees. Remember me when you see some honeybees.

Samuel and Rebecca kissed their mom on the cheek. Then she was gone. Every time Samuel, Rebecca. and Mark felt a breeze, saw a rainbow, the rain, snow, a star, blue skies, autumn trees, and honeybees, they thought of Janet.

At Janet's funeral, there was so many people there. The chapel was overflowing. Many kind words were spoken as Janet's family and friends and family celebrated her life.



Death of lover or spouse contest entry

Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. pookietoo All rights reserved.
pookietoo has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.