War and History Fiction posted August 23, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A husband says goodbye to his wife

Goodbye my Love

by Rinshikai


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.

I can feel it. The howls in the wind are beckoning my love to join them. Our hearth now an ember, fading into the night, the great hunt is upon us. The pup curled up to her, sleeping soundly. She lies peacefully, comforting our child, knowing this is the last time they will be together.

Hunched over in her chair, the old she-wolf hums a dirge, both peaceful and sorrowful. No fear plagues her features, for she knew this day would come. My presence felt, she stops. Struggling up, she whispers one final message in her daughter's ear. With a quick kiss on the forehead, she takes the pup into her arms, leaving us alone. "Make your peace."

I sit, worry weighing me down. My love, she was never the strongest, but her will was unsurpassed. Now she could barely speak. Her features starved, now a husk, the pain where my eye once was throbbed. Memories of the war flood my mind, and the only safe harbor was them. Two boney fingers caress my cheek, pulling me back. Her beautiful smile is my beacon. "I'm so sorry," I take her hand into my own. "If I'd only-" she fingers silence me.

"We knew-" she collapses into a fit of coughing. I reach for water, but she stops me. Clearing her throat, she manages to sit up straight. "We knew this day would come. My love, I never thought I'd live this long or have a family of my own." We kiss.

"You're right," I did what I could for her. These three years have been the happiest days of my life. After what I had seen and done, embracing them each day was a gift. Now I am afraid of losing her. It feels like a hand squeezing my heart. But I can't do anything, so I lay next to her. I've never felt so powerless.
         
For what feels like an eternity, we lay in silence. Embers hiss in the cool air, their glow fading. Sweat glistening her body, she shivers through shallow breathes. With a rag, I wipe it away, relieved when she stops. I pull her close, sharing my body's warmth under the furs.  
 
"Promise me, Hahaku. Promise me that Tristan will grow strong." She said, tearful eyes begging for certainty. I reassure her, our son would grow to be a man worthy of his mother. Managing a smile, she rests her head on my shoulder. "I love you, Hahaku." 
        
"I love you to Ylva."

"I'm tired," she whispers, closing her eyes; her expression becomes peaceful—the gentle beat of her heart releases mine from the grip of fear. There are no more words that need to pass between us, the burden of sleep overshadowing me. Before it takes me, I whisper to her.

"Ylva, if they are calling you to their side." I kiss her one last time. "Then I won't stop you." The last sound I hear is a long exhale. The flame was out, never to shine again. Unable to fight it any longer, I allow myself to sleep.
 
 


The pelt I used to propose, a wolf carving I made for Tristan, her mother's herbs. We each add our final farewell to the pyre. One after another, others offer condolences, offering their gifts for her journey. Hushed tones fill the air like a thick fog. So many have gathered; it warms my heart on this frigid day.

My love, I caress her veiled face. You touched so many lives. Whimpers pull me from my thoughts. "You miss her too, don't you, girl?" I scratch her behind the ear, grief weighing down on us. "It was her time." She leans on my leg and then rests her head on the pyre. "You can't join her; it's not your time yet." I kneel; those eyes are heavy with sorrow. "Go get a gift," she runs into the crowded area.

"Papa," perched in his Oma's arms, my son reaches for me, lips quivering from the cold. With open arms, I take him, wiping his nose with a rag. "Why'd mama die?" The question no parent wants to answer. We try our best to protect them, but this world is chaotic and never fair. But we do what we can with the time we have.

"It was her time, pup." Ylva, how would you explain this? I pull him close, tears fall as he holds them back, but he shivers, wrapping his little arms around me. My brave little pup, "The Great Hunter needed her." The old tales flood my mind, shadowed by the memories of my parent's passing. Focusing, "Do you remember the stories your Oma told you?"

"No," he tilts his head, so I sit.

"Long before the Empire, our people wandered like nomads. Life was brutal, and a great beast hunted us, feeding on not just our flesh but souls as well. In desperation, we sought the aid of a hunter. He promised to slay the beast, but it would cost us."

"What happened to the hunter? Did he slay the monster?"

"After many hunts, he killed the beast," He gasps at my words, but I continue. "But the beast gravely wounded him, and he died.  After his funeral, the seer of the time had a vision. Warning us that while the beast was dead, its spirit was still hungry." Wide-eyed and shocked, he shakes his head in disbelief, trembling in my arms. I calm him, asking if I can continue, to which he eagerly agrees.

"The beast had cornered him, ready to eat his spirit. But at the last moment, the hunter chased it away, his loyal hound in tow. Grateful, the seer offered this thanks, to which the hunter asked for boon he was promised."        

"What was it, papa?"

"A deal, pup, the beast wasn't alone. It was only the last to cross over." I stand up, "He needed allies, so our people made a pact." We both look to Ylva. "Your mother, she wasn't strong physically." Images fill my mind with the night she had left me. "But, her spirit was." My muscles start to ache, and I fear all I'm giving him is platitudes. I rest my head on him, easing the tension. "That's why she had to go, pup. The Great Hunter needs her, and when the time comes, we'll join her."

"When papa?"

"That's not up to us, pup. Only The Great Hunter knows.



Death of lover or spouse contest entry


I saw this contest, and I wanted to try my hand at it. I remember a few experiences when my father passed, and I tried to integrate them into this piece.

All I ask from reviewers is a minimum of one thing you liked and one this you disliked. If you see something that needs correcting, please let me know. I can't improve otherwise.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rinshikai All rights reserved.
Rinshikai has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.