General Fiction posted August 19, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Looking back in time....

Bending the Rules

by Begin Again


 


“Tania, wake up.” Megan shook her best friend’s shoulders. “Can you hear me?”
 
Tania stretched. “The lights are too bright.” She squinted. “Where are we?”
 
Megan sat beside Tania. “It’s not any of our friends’ homes. It looks like a mansion.”
 
“Where’s Jake and Sam?” Tania looked around. “They didn’t go after more tequila, did they?”
 
“I hope not. I feel weird.”
 
“Yeah, me too.” Megan leaned against Tania. “I wish the boys were here.”
 
“What do you remember?”
 
“Sam was kissing my lips, my neck, and my chest. I tried to say stop, but I couldn’t. His hands were unbuttoning--” Megan stared wide-eyed at her clothes and then at Tania’s.  “When -- when did we change clothes?”
 
Both girls wore stunning white gowns.
 
“You look like Cinderella. I could be Scarlet O’Hara.” Tania gazed around the room. “Megan, look at the staircase. I’ve never seen anything so beautiful. Are we on a movie set?”
 
“I don’t know, but it’s past our curfew,” Megan whined.
 
“Yeah, my dad’s going to kill me unless he’s too drunk. I haven’t recovered from the last beating.”
 
“I hear music and laughter. Maybe the boys are upstairs. Let’s look.”
 
 
At the top of the magnificent staircase, a young lad dressed in white handed Tania a small bottle of lotion. His voice was musical, “Rub it on your arms.”
 
Megan sniffed. “It smells like cherry blossoms.” She squirted some in Tania’s palm. “It's heavenly.”
 
“Megan, look, my bruises disappeared.” Tania’s eyes were wide with excitement. “What’s this stuff called?”

The young man responded, “Miracles.”
 
“Remember the name, Megan. I’m checking Amazon to see if they carry it.”
 
”Please follow the golden arrows to the third door on the right.” He smiled and pointed at the markings. “They’re expecting you.”
 
“Are the boys there?”
 
“I believe they'll be detained for questioning.”
 
“Detained? Oh, heavens, did Jake get stopped driving? Are they under arrest?”
 
“Go along now. I am sure someone will be able to tell you.”
 
At the third door, a beautiful woman smiled and asked them to enter. The sign on the door read “Wardrobe.”
 
Wide-eyed, both girls spun around and around. Hundreds of wings of every size hung on the walls.
 
“I don’t understand. What’s happening?”
 
The woman checked her watch. “It’s bending the rules, but it's only minutes away.” She took their hands and led them back to the staircase. “Are you sure you want to know?”
 
“Yes!”
 
“Look through the clouds. You'll see."
 
“Tania, that's your parents' car.”
 
“My dad’s driving. He’s drunk. He’s over the line.”
 
Megan squealed and covered her mouth. “He barely missed that car.”
 
“Oh no, here comes another one.” Tania yelled, “Dad, stop! Look out for the other car.”
 
The sound of screeching tires, breaking glass, and crunching metal sent a chill through each girl.
 
“Tania, that’s Jake’s car. We’re in the car crash.”
 
“It can’t be. That means—”
 
“Yes, girls.” She touched their faces. “By God's grace, you'll forget what you saw."

 



Future Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized

#25
August
2021


The girls are experiencing an out-of-body moment at heaven's doorstep. They watch the car crash happen as it takes their life. Welcome to heaven!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.