General Fiction posted August 2, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a short story

Olive

by Bill Schott


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.




It was difficult at best to get information about the new patient, Olive V- something, on our floor.

Having been here the longest of all the others, I should have, as a courtesy, been given some information that could be used to signify my position of delegated, secondary, passive, triple-secret, anatomically correct power.

She was taken to room 710 at the end of the hall, which is unusual as that’s where they normally put hardcore killers. This placed her at the opposite end from me in 701. The other patients in the remaining rooms were as familiar to me as Napoleon was to the fingers and thumb and various warts of his right hand.

Barnacle, in 702, had been a sailor all his life. He was always stopping folks in the lunchroom to tell them of his voyages. "There was water, water everywhere," he'd say. Like - duhhh.

Cannibal stayed in 703. His jaws are wired shut.

In room 704, they keep Diablo. He was supposed to be the devil, though he hasn't any horns or tail. He's bandaged, so it's possible he'd had them removed surgically.

Rooms 705, 706, and 707 are all empty -- except for cadavers. 

Now room 708 really is empty. I mean, of everything. No chairs or beds, nothing on the walls, no windows, and every square inch is painted off-white. You know? Mother of pearl, bisque, whatever.

The room before that last room is where No No resided. She would be my friend, if she were able to communicate.   I am certain she would have said, if suddenly given the gift of speech, sight, and hearing, that I was her very best friend.

Now that I have killed the others, I will introduce myself to the woman in room 710.

I should probably start a fire in room 705, 6, or 7. There is alcohol and combustible materials from room 708 which will get the attendant staff cadavers going.

My, what a day it's been. Saying farewell to a few friends and making new ones. I'm sure meeting Olive Vietersein in room 710 will be the perfect end to the perfect day. 


 




Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.