Biographical Non-Fiction posted July 26, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Officer issues sheepish apology for jumping to conclusions

Prematurely in Memoriam

by Elizabeth Emerald


Yesterday, I posted a fictionalized account of my friend Scott's "death" due to incorrect inference. That aspect of the story was true.

Recap: A police officer, driving by Scott's unkempt and seemingly unoccupied cabin, propped against which was a bouquet, concluded that he'd recently died; thus, the floral "memorial."

Officer McDonnell neglected to query the neighbors, who would have quickly quashed her assumption; instead, she returned to the station and reported Scott's apparent death. I wrote: "Somehow, word got out."

This afternoon, Scott gave me the specifics: "word got out" via a post on the community website. Officer McDonnell didn't merely announce the sad news; she eulogized Scott by relating the instance of his "rescuing" her, many years prior, when her boat went under.

Scott was informed of the fiasco by his neighbors, who'd been shocked both to read of his demise, and even more so, to behold his resurrection.

Later that day, Officer McDonnell dropped by Scott's place to apologize for having preempted his natural expiration date. She thanked him profusely for having come to her aid on that "memorable" occasion (of which Scott had no recollection whatsoever).

Officer McDonnell told Scott she felt profoundly "embarrassed" by her mistake.

As an afterthought, upon departure, she added: And I'm glad you didn't croak. 









 



Recognized

#25
July
2021


Sweet Bouquet by helvi2 on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by helvi2 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.