Biographical Non-Fiction posted July 27, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Proven Philosophy

Love & Cake

by Sally Law


It has long been said that a way to a man's heart is through his stomach. I've known this truth since first grade, after sharing a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a boy.

More strategic to these love pursuits, is something sweet. Cake just happens to be my favorite, layered with rich buttercream frosting. However, I couldn't bake for squat in those days before Martha Stewart.

Real love had finally come, and I was smitten. I had to grasp the fine art of baked confections. How hard could it be to bake a cake for my new boyfriend? I wondered.

Ambitious, I announced that on every Saturday, I would be delivering a cake to his home, and asked what kind of cake he preferred. Jack responded enthusiastically, and the list was long: German chocolate cake, double chocolate cake, butter cake, carrot cake, and spice cake with mocha frosting--oh, my!

I came from poor, and had never heard of mocha frosting. It sounded decadently European; so I asked my mother. She didn't know, and offered to investigate the frosting mystery.

I was surprised to find that cocoa powder and powdered sugar, whipped together with soft butter and strong coffee, made something beyond my comprehension. My own version of spice cake with mocha frosting was born.

It took forever on that first go round, but Love's offerings could not be rushed. By the time I'd finished, cleaned the kitchen disaster, bathed myself, and primped, it was time. I placed the two-layer cake on the nicest plate I could find and headed out the door. It was mid-afternoon, and very hot.

I walked slowly, trying not to jostle the masterpiece. As I neared the halfway point to Jack's house, a barking, nipping dog saw me and gave chase. He snapped at my ankles as I fought him off with one foot, balancing the plate like a Russian ballerina. This went on for a few minutes until he finally retreated.

Oh, the cake! The top piece had slid off, and the frosting was all over my outfit. Disgusted, I heaved the cake into the bushes and returned home in a melted mocha mess.

I made another, and another, on Saturdays for many years, trekking the same path, and dealing with the same ridiculous dog. I'm glad to say, I had more successes than not.

Learn the lesson of the cake! Love, like cake, takes time, patience, and practice; but it's well worth it.

I know, I married the man--the lover of me, and my cakes.

**********

{Mocha Frosting}

1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 tablespoon strong brewed coffee

In a small bowl, stir together the confectioners sugar and cocoa powder. In another bowl, beat the butter until creamy, gradually beat in the sugar mixture, taking care to scrape the bottom of the bowl, occasionally. Lastly, stir in the coffee, and beat until smooth.

This frosting is great on chocolate cake, brownies, cookies, and of course, spice cake.

Eat some with the one you love!



Non-Fiction Writing Contest contest entry

Recognized

#12
July
2021




https://pixabay.com/illustrations/children-birthday-cake-vintage-5959940/@ pixabay.com
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sally Law All rights reserved.
Sally Law has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.