General Fiction posted July 25, 2021 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
It's never black and white.....

A chapter in the book Secrets in the Wind

Secrets in the Wind - Chap 12

by Begin Again




Background
Jack McKinley's recent death appears to be suspicious. The investigation of one crime leads to another and so many other secrets in the wind.

Early this morning, a guard escorted Allie to a secure location where she’d spoken with Garth on the phone. She’d filled him in on Cassidy’s arrival. Once she returned to their cell, she found her cellmate awake with her eyes glued to a chipped section of the concrete floor. Cassidy wasn’t in the mood for talking this morning, so Allie lay on the bunk, imagining Garth’s every move as he warned her about the danger. With her eyes closed, she felt shots of electricity running rampant through her, and a warm heat spread across her body. 

 

The booming voice of a guard outside their cell tossed cold water on Allie’s daydream.”Rotello, let’s go.”

 

Cassidy stood. Her legs trembled with her fear. “Where?”

 

“You’ve got company.” The guard opened the cell. “Come on; I  don’t have all day.”

 

Cassidy moved toward the opening, turning her head toward Allie. All the color drained from her face. 

 

“Go! It’s okay.” Allie smiled and added, “Maybe it’s lover boy.”

 

Cassidy stepped into the corridor, dropping her head toward the floor, as she walked with the guard. An uproar of whistles and insults followed by raucous laughter taunted her as she passed the row of cells. Hands and arms stretched through the bars attempting to touch her. The guard held her arm and continued to propel her timid body forward.

 

The visiting area was much larger than the commons. A row of small windows allowed sunlight from the top of the twenty-foot walls. Round metal tables with benches were bolted to the concrete floor. The drab gray walls were barren except for splashes of graffiti. The room was empty except for a man seated at one of the center tables.

 

Fire sparked from Cassidy’s eyes, and she spun around, hoping the guard was still there. There was no one to rescue her.

 

“You have a lot of guts coming here.” Her visitor's presence touched a raw nerve, and anger spewed from Cassidy's mouth.

 

“Cassidy, you should welcome a man of the cloth.” Jon’s fingers toyed with his collar. “Besides, I am your brother.”

 

“You’re nothing to me, Jon.”  She stood ten feet away, swaying side to side, praying her legs would support her. “I hate you!”

 

“Don't be like that. Come sit down, Cassidy. It’s not my fault you are in prison.”

 

“You’re a liar, Jon. How can you, a priest, hold your head up and tell me a bald-faced lie? You saw me leaving Mason’s suite. I could not have murdered his wife.”

 

“Sofia was an eye witness. The jury believed her.” Jon’s haughty laugh sent a chill down Cassidy’s spine. “Even your lover pretended to believe her.”

 

“He did not! Mason promised to defend me when the time was right. He needed to put things in order.”

 

“The man has forgotten about you, dear sister. He used you as he uses me. It comes with his power.”

 

“Mason hasn’t forgotten me. You are jealous and crave his strength and money. You’re pitiful!”

 

“I’ll not deny it. Money is important, Cassidy. Without it, our mother would not be receiving the care she does. Don’t forget Mason’s money foots the $1000 a month care center bill.”

 

“Mason’s money? The estate pays for mom’s care.” Cassidy couldn’t hide her confusion.

 

“It’s all gone. There is no money, Cassidy. We serve as Mason’s pawns or jeopardize our precious mother’s life. We live a good life or so we thought.”

 

“A good life? Maybe you do, but have you looked around? I am in prison for something I didn’t do.” Cassidy’s eyes filled with anguish. “It’s always been about you, Jon, since we were kids.”

 

“Me? I didn’t ask to move to Italy. I certainly didn’t plan on being a priest.”

 

“Well, that was obvious. You and Alec laughing and gloating over each of your conquests, until Mary?”

 

“Mary?”

 

Cassidy’s mouth dropped open in pure surprise to Jon’s unexpected response. “Mary, you know, the mother of your child.”

 

“A stupid kid’s mistake. We played with fire, and she got burnt.”

 

“You make me sick! You’re a disgrace to your profession.”

 

“I never wanted to be a priest. Our parents thought it was my penance for being a kid, sowing wild oats. You’re not so innocent either.”

 

“It’s not the same. I love Mason, and he was going to leave his wife and marry me.”

 

“You are so naive. Mason told me to shut you up, or he’d find a way to do it himself.”

 

“He wouldn’t. That’s just your jealousy talking.” 

 

“Whatever! I’ve warned you.” Jon stood and glanced around the cold, empty room. “Take care of yourself, Cassidy.”

 

“Jon, I can’t stay in this place.” She hadn’t meant to sound so pathetic. “Don’t leave me here.”

 

“I’ve got to go. There’s a shipment coming in.” 

 

“Shipment?  Of what?” Cassidy eyed him with suspicion. “What else are you doing besides gambling, Jon?”

 

“It’s not your concern. One of us has to make money, right?”

Jon made the sign of the cross and leaned over to kiss Cassidy’s cheek. She turned away.

 

“God be with you, Cassidy because you’re going to need it in here.” He turned and walked toward the exit.

 

************

 

After talking with Allie, Garth stopped at the coffee shop for his usual caffeine fix and a glazed donut. The table he’d shared with Allie was available, so he didn’t know why but he chose to sit there. Their first meeting played through his mind like a slow-motion film. He loved her spunky attitude and quick wit. It was a short walk down memory lane, but a memorable one.

 

Completion of his breakfast meant it was time to go to work. He’d promised Hank he would meet him at Sweet Haven. They needed to compare notes and find a game plan.

 

Liz heard his car pull in, and she hurried to the front door. The minute he was walking toward the door, she swung it wide open. “Garth, any word on Allie? I can’t believe you let her go undercover. What if something happens to her? I will never forgive you; you know that, right? Allie is going to do something stupid because that’s who she is. Oh my God, I can’t stand this.”

 

“Whoa, Liz, calm down. You are rattling faster than a Gatlin gun. Give the man a break.” Hank wrapped his arm around Liz’s shoulder. “Good morning, Garth. Come on in.”

 

As he stepped into the house, Garth smiled at Liz, “She’s fine, Liz. I spoke to her about an hour ago. Good morning to you, too.”

 

Liz gave Garth a sheepish grin. “Sorry, I guess I let my emotions get the best of me. I am so worried.”

 

“We’ve got several agents on the inside. She’s not doing this alone.” 

 

“We’re having coffee in the study, Garth. Want me to grab another cup?”

 

“No, I’m good, thank you. I had a cup in town before heading out your way.”

 

“When I called Emmy the other day, she offered to do background checks on a few people. This morning she said she was faxing it.” Hank smiled. "I think she misses the action just a little bit."

 

“And how is your darling wife? I haven’t seen her in a long time.” Garth remembered the moonlight dinners on the veranda with Emmy, Hank, and Katherine. He couldn't believe her long battle with cancer had ended over a year ago. 

 

“She says the same thing about me.” Hank laughed. “Tried to get her to come out on the road with me, but she prefers those sandy beaches in Gulf Shores.” He patted Garth's back. "She misses Katherine, too."

 

All three walked into the study, but something outside caught Garth’s eye. He moved to the window and watched Cynthia and Michael approach the winery. Darryl stood in the doorway as a large delivery truck pulled into the circle drive.

 

“Expecting any company, Liz?” Garth nodded to Hank, and he joined him at the window.

 

“You’ve certainly got a crowd.” Hank turned around to face Liz. “Any reason why Cynthia and Michael would be at the winery? And there’s an oversized delivery truck pulling into the drive.”

 

“Nothing’s on the calendar. And Cynthia shouldn’t have anything to do with the winery. Now, you’ve piqued my curiosity.”

 

"Why don’t Hank and I take a stroll while you wait for the fax? It might be nothing, but it won’t hurt to say hello.” Garth exchanged looks with Hank and Liz. “Is that okay, Liz?”

 

“Of course, it is. I hope Cynthia doesn’t still think I might sell the winery. Maybe she thought she’d get some information out of Darryl. She is the town gossip, after all.”

 

As the men headed out to the winery, Emmy’s diligent investigative work started rolling off the fax machine. Liz recognized the first picture and immediately started to read. Her eyes widened and she gasped, “Oh, this can’t be.”




Recognized


Theodore (Ted) and Meredith Cranston - previous owners of Sweet Haven Estates
Jack McKinley - present owner of Sweet Haven Estates - deceased
Elizabeth (Liz) McKinley - Jack's widow and owner of Sweet Haven Estates
Alyssa Shelton - Liz's best friend and an Investigative Journalist
Darryl Pennington - Estate Foreman for past and previous owners
Mary Hunter - Retired nurse and current caregiver of Faith and Annie
Faith Cranston-Newton - daughter of the Ted and Meredith Cranston
Annie Cranston-Newton - Faith's daughter
Dr. Eugene Copeland - the local physician
Sofia Sanchez - Mason Caldwell's housekeeper
Miguel Sanchez - vineyard supervisor
Jon Saladino - Priest and much more
Cassidy Rotello - assistant of Mason Caldwell
Mason Caldwell - rancher and owner of a gambling casino
Garth Woodman - (Jeremy) Undercover FBI
Hank Armato - Private Investigator
Cynthia - librarian, historian, town gossip and wanna-be detective
Michael - realtor and Cynthia's nephew
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.