General Poetry posted July 24, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a Haibun poetic form

Tom's General Store

by Sugarray77

Walking into Tom's General Store I am amazed at the variety and selection I see. Hand lettered signs hang from the ceiling touting French, English, Japanese and other varied poetic genres.  I pause to examine a Kyrielle, then a Sonnet before I spy a ripe Quatrain that looks interesting. I check them all for freshness and find there is no expiration date, or use by stamp.  How delightful.  Further into the store, I spot several poets fussing and fighting over something. What can it be?  Ahhh, there is a sale on FreeVerse. So many FanStorians are haggling over it that the store owner, Mr. Tom, decides to put out more of them, for they are a very popular poetic form. The store's promotions are varied and pique the interest of almost all of the shoppers. By including advertising slogans like .. use any form you like.. meter is not a requirement.. or choose any topic, he entices all of the poets to buy and participate. How clever of him.  The General Store's most often selected item is the 5-7-5, or the American/Western version of the Asian Haiku.  It is a lovely form for beginners and an often used incentive.  I see the mob is settling down around the short poem sections.  They've found out they can all participate due to the unlimited slots in the store-wide contests.  Serenity reigns again.  I conclude my shopping trip and leave with a basketful of Rondeaus, Tankas, and Two-line poems.  They all look luscious and I can't wait to get home and sample each one.
 
poetry varies
its flavor from pen to pen
delicious buffet


 



Recognized

#25
July
2021


A haibun is a Japanese style poetic form that combines prose and a haiku.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sugarray77 All rights reserved.
Sugarray77 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.