General Fiction posted July 24, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
How and when I named my first cat.

What^s In A Name?

by Lobber

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.


Well, I’m back.

Oh, Let me look.  Here, hand me the box.  Oh, my! Pure white. How adorable!  

That’s only because it’s asleep….Well, guess it’s mine now.

But, Peter, you're always travelling…or out of town on the weekends. What are you going do with a kitten?

I don't know.  Put it in my freezer.

Oh, come on. 
And it’s not an it, it’s a she. And so sweet.

Better than sour, I guess.

Yes. So…What are you going to call her?"

Her?  Well, right now…since it’s been peeing all morning in a smelly box from Sheila’s mailroom…it's still an it."

Well?

Well, I don't know....How about Dresden?

Yes! I like that.

You know, like the city that survived the War.

Oh.  I was thinking about teacups. You know...white china - delicate little teacups.

Yes. Well, then. Dresden it will be.  Hello, Dresden.  Wakey-wakey, sleepy eyes.  And how does my little friend like her new name? Ouch!  Fuck!  The little monster just bit me. Look, the fuckin’ demon drew blood!  

Let’s see. Well, it’s a very tiny drop.

Well, she may be the runt of the litter, but she's got horse teeth.

Oh, you probably just startled her.

Nonsense. She's quite awake and it was done with intent. If she does it again, she will be in the freezer.

I think she likes you.

I'm not convinced…and what a strange way of showing it. 
What if I get rabies!

Oh, she’ll settle down.

I hope so. 

Well, you just upset her.  Oh.  I think she’s peeing again.

Well, put her down!  Jesus!  A cat with two bladders! I only took her because Sheila said: "If no one else does, she'll have to be drowned."

Oh!

Well, I guess I still have that option.

Peter!




Dialogue Only Writing Contest contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Lobber All rights reserved.
Lobber has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.