General Fiction posted July 14, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
No way out

Train of Thought

by jusylee72

The last rays of the summer sun were disappearing as Charlie boarded the train.

Slipping into the seat in the first car, pretending he felt calm, he reached inside his pocket.

The last message on his phone, all written in caps, reemerged.

"This is your last warning."

Charlie knew what it meant.

His world, as he knew it, no longer existed.

The train did not lead to his home, his wife, and his children.

Instead, it led to the opposite direction. He truly had no choice. His wife would never understand. She would be better off if she thought it was an accident.

He tried to make money, yes in the wrong way, but at the time he didn't think it would matter.

In his head, Charlie tried to picture his beautiful bride, the woman, a little thicker in the stomach, who had given him 3 beautiful children. He loved them both, the woman in her youth and the woman she was today. They lived in an adequate house. Their children could never go to elite schools but could afford community college.

Margie and Ben married good people and had good careers. The eighteen-year-old, Stevie, still lived at home  Hopefully, they would never make the mistakes their father made. 

His lifelong friend promised it would be easy, just 10,000 dollars of their savings.

He would soon be arrested. His so-called friend changed his phone number becoming mist in the wind along with the money.  

There was no investment company, a simple lie took over his life.

Making his way to the back of the train fear overtook him.

"This is harder than I thought it would be," his brain inflamed with regret.

The insurance money would protect them. 

His last words were unspoken.

"I love you, Emily. Forgive Me.

 



Short Story writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story. Create your own title. (fiction300 words/beg/mid/end )beginning with the sentence:
The last rays of the summer sun were disappearing below the horizon as Charlie boarded the train.


Train to escape.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jusylee72 All rights reserved.
jusylee72 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.